SA-4 Ganef Missile Colour

armored76

Hello,

Looking at the images of the SA-4 Ganef / 2K11 Krug, I noticed a large variety of colours on the equipped missiles. Some seem to be a very light grey, others aluminium then again the engine area seems to be a tad darker, steel colour but not on all of them. The tip is also red or the same as the body. I'm guessing that these might be practice or operational missiles and that there might be difference between operating countries.

Can someone please shed some light on the differences?

Many-many thanks in advance for your time and help!

Cristian

Thank you, gentlemen!

...and this looks like oxidized aluminum with steel:

2K11M KRUG (SA-4 Ganef)

Source: Flickr

White aluminium with red tip:

Sa-4_Ganef_2K11_Krug_surface-to-air_defe

Source: https://www.armyrecognition.com/russia_russian_missile_system_vehicle_uk/sa-4_ganef_2k11_krug_air_defense_missile_system_technical_data_sheet_13012155.html

Exactly this variety of colours is my problem...

Edited by armored76

The trumpeter instructions say most of the body should be finished with Medium gunship Grey and the main body of the missile rear the rear fins finished in silver and red on the tip of the nose and the tips on the forward fins and the cover on the bottom of the missile ( before firing ).

• Thanks 1

The top image is possibly the naval version (SA-N-4?) being fired from a test or training launcher.  I imagine they might have been painted for environmental protection, probably some kind of grey.  But having said that, although the missiles in that picture do look grey you can distinctly see the lighter colour along the panel lines as in the lower photos.  So maybe they are the same matt natural metal.

Rear body around the sustainer motor could be titanium for heat resistance.  The body and fins will all be lightweight materials, most likely aluminium or duralumin.  It is interesting that the nose cone appears to be metal.  Unless I'm much mistaken, Krug/Ganef was a radar beam-riding missile so I might have expected a fibreglass nose cone with the sensors inside.

• Thanks 1

On 29/03/2018 at 10:54 AM, Mick4350 said:

The is a book from WWP covering the SA-4 Ganef ( G 056 ) that is due for sale in March or April and has 108 pages with 380 colour photos.

I'll be very happy to see (and buy) that.