Meng Panther A Late with zimmerit

Here is my second try at Mengs Panther A Late with my first ever semi-successful attempt at zimmerit from putty.

Pretty much OOB except for Friulmodel tracks and Elmers Wood Filler zimmerit.

WjHO46z.jpgCeQ8myc.jpgnZEnrmN.jpgfqIKVo8.jpgcUcWOqS.jpgSB80CwY.jpgqqYx92k.jpgHdSi8UO.jpgSkooHBx.jpgR2U1aN4.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 14

Hi Lloyd. Great to see this in the RFI section and what a superb result. You did a fantastic job with making your own Zimmerit -something I have never attempted and think I probably never will! I like the lighting in the photos too! Gives your Panther an even more brooding appearance. Very well done! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

I just added a couple of pics with different lighting for a contrast. Most of those pics were taken in daylight so they tend to wash out

detail a bit.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Lovely looking Panther & a great job with the Zimmerit. I tried Zimming my Dragon Panther with Milliput but wasn't happy with the result. I ended up sanding it off & slapping some Eduard etched Zimmerit on it.

Pete

Thanks Pete

I was afraid to try Milliput or any putty as it's tough to remove if you balls up. The good thing about that

Elmers Wood Filler is it washes right off when you goof. It took me 4 tries to get the turret looking half

decent and it's still not that great.

There is a Takom 1/35 King Tiger Initial Production with the Porsche turret at the LHS.  As far as I know all of the KTs with

the Porsche turret had zimmerit so I'm sort of tempted.  Maybe should sit down for a bit or have a nap and think about it though.

On the other hand I have 4 KTs in 1/35 plus a 1/16 Trumpeter but none with the Porsche turret so.........

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Plastix

Come on, a man with your skills should be able to do zimmerit no sweat.  Just don't use a brush, tried that and no dice,

spatula and Tamiya rakes seem to work best.

I'd like to see a 1/35 Stug or a Wespe or some such with zimmerit, you can do it.

Lloyd

Fantastic job Lloyd, I like the feedback from your WW2 veteran in regards to the zimmerit application. You can't beat some first hand knowledge. Now you've got one with zimmermit applyed there'll be no stopping you.

Hi Lloyd, thought it would look great under a coat of paint and you have done a brilliant job on the zimmerit, I think sometimes we are our worst critic  :clap2::clap2:

Regards

Richard 

4 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Hi Jim

Long time no see.  Yes that zimmerit was lots of trial and error, mostly error, but it's done........:party:

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd,I have been around,lurking in the figure section Shhhh.

Nice one Lloyd. I agree with others, the zimmerit does look good. It's not something that I would ever need to do, seeing as I only do Brit/Commonwealth. Oh, hang on though. There's a Cromwell that had a kind of rubber zimmerit applied to the turret, so maybe I will have a go.

John.

Thanks John

I forgot to put the typical Panther square pattern in the zimmerit but it's not too bad as is after some painting and the dark washes bring

out the ridges and creases and missed spots better.

Interesting to see what a Cromwell with psuedo-zimmerit would look like so why don't you fly at it?

Take care,

Lloyd

Wouldn't you know it...Takom just announced a mid/late Panther A  with zimmerit and full interior.

Don't really want the interior but would like to see the moulded zimmerit.

Figures, I'm always getting ahead of myself.

Lloyd 

Edited by BlackMax12

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:06, BlackMax12 said:

Interesting to see what a Cromwell with psuedo-zimmerit would look like so why don't you fly at it?

It's on the "to do list".

John.