H builds “The RAF and me” The Lancaster. Finished

Back in the day, Saturdays and Sundays had proper tv programs. Saturday tea time was Airwolf, Knightrider, The A Team or Streethawk and Sunday afternoons was war film time, The dirty dozen, Kelly’s hero’s, Where eagles dare, 633 sqn, and my favourite The Dambusters. 

During my my time at RAF Coningsby, I managed a jolly in BBMFs Dakota, that was a memorable experience, especially when the engine stopped. Luckily we were still on the ground, unluckily it started again and we took off. But one of my favourite memories was refuelling the Lancaster when working weekend shift on tanker pool. 

Winston Churchill once said

• "The gratitude of every home in our Island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of world war by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few. All hearts go out to the fighter pilots whose brilliant actions we see with our own eyes day after day, but we must never forget that all the time, night after night, month after month, our bomber squadrons travel far into Germany, find their targets, often under the heaviest fire, often with serious loss, with deliberate, careful discrimination, and inflict shattering blows upon the whole of the technical and war-making structure of the Nazi power. On no part of the Royal Air Force does the weight of the war fall more heavily than on the daylight bombers who will play an invaluable part in the case of invasion and whose unflinching zeal it has been necessary in the meantime on numerous occasions to restrain."

55,573 young men died flying with Bomber Command during World War Two; that’s more than those who serve in the entire RAF today.

I aim aim to build Amodels 144 Lancaster, she even has markings similar enough to BBMFs one year. 

resized_f13d5506-8f5f-4042-8b92-7658abb4

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 11

The RAF and me part 1, has been moved to WIP. I failed to notice the egg planes were off the menu, coincidentally I have recently developed an allergy to eggs 🤢 

Part 3 will be coming soon. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Had a closer inspection of the kit today getting ready for the start. It has a PE bomb bay, in 144!, I thought adding 144 PE radiator grills was bad enough on the damduster version of this kit. I think I will start with that :angry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Had a closer inspection of the kit today getting ready for the start. It has a PE bomb bay, in 144!, I thought adding 144 PE radiator grills was bad enough on the damduster version of this kit. I think I will start with that :angry:

But think how good you'll feel when it works ...

I don't suppose you can model the doors closed can you?  It'd save an awful lot of pain ;)

56 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Wow!!

Could I do Just Jane from this?

That the only connection I personally have with Lancs.....seeing her engines at full power 20 years ago!!

That must have sounded amazing. Love the roar of Merlins. 

I hadn't seen this one sneak in buddy. I have this one in my pile too, so I am keen to see how it goes together. Everything looks to be fine so far, but I bet that bomb bay was bit tricky in this scale. Great work, good luck with the rest of the build.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2018 at 8:17 PM, Valkyrie said:

Nice, clean work, im looking forward to the paint and decals 

Me too dude, getting closer to that time. 

On 07/04/2018 at 12:03 PM, nimrod54 said:

I hadn't seen this one sneak in buddy. I have this one in my pile too, so I am keen to see how it goes together. Everything looks to be fine so far, but I bet that bomb bay was bit tricky in this scale. Great work, good luck with the rest of the build.

Cheers dude. You really will need your 144 glasses for this one. Some bits are tiny. The fit is generally good, although fitting the bomb bay plus the PE and then the wings is a :swear:   When you crack yours open you will see what I mean. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Very nice H, very nice.

Thanks dude, first attempt with rattle cans and blu tac worm masking. Not bad result but :angry: fiddly in 144 scale. 

• Like 2