1/72 Brengun North American A-36A

Hello

Here is my last finished build with this 1/72 Brengun North American A-36A in USAAF colors. This A-36A 42-83830 was at the time within the 86th Fighter Bomber Group based at Tafraoui Airfield in French Algeria during summer 1943.

She was destroyed beyond repair during a wheels up belly landing on 6th August 1943 at Tunis El Aouina Airfield due to mechanical failure but the pilot survived (joebaugher.com).

The kit Brengun BRP72025, which I was given by Redboost, was easy to assemble and paints are from Gunze. The markings came from my spare box because I wanted to build an A-36A based in North Africa. In the original decal sheet there were only Italian based aircraft.

Patrick

m_524176409_0.jpg

m_524176412_0.jpg

m_524176415_0.jpg

m_524176416_0.jpg

m_524176419_0.jpg

m_524176422_0.jpg

• Like 36

It was eventually just referred to and accepted as a mustang. However from the factory the A-36 was called Apache and the P-51A the Mustang. 😉 I still prefer to use the Apache name for the A-36 and Mustang for the P-51A call me quaint or stuck in my ways. 

Dennis

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It was eventually just referred to and accepted as a mustang. However from the factory the A-36 was called Apache and the P-51A the Mustang. 😉 I still prefer to use the Apache name for the A-36 and Mustang for the P-51A call me quaint or stuck in my ways. 

Dennis

Do you have a reference for that;     I have nothing at all in my books that agrees with your position, 

this is from North American;

kaeNYy2.jpg

show us something,

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 1

Probably in my files and in my head Tony. I remember that the Army Air Force wanted more P-51A’s in i think it was Fiscal year 1942. They were out of money for acquiring pursuit/fighters but had money in the budget for attack aircraft. They worked a deal out with North American Aviation to produce a modified aircraft with dive brakes and bomb shackles called the A-36 Apache. They essentially cheated to get what they needed. In the end most of the Dive brakes were wired shut and the planes were used as P-51A fighters. But everything I remember says they came out of the Factory as Apaches. 

Not to disparage the company newsletter you have used as an example. However most of those are considered propaganda and not accurate. The fact is The A.A.F. and the manufacturers knew that spies would see those company news letters. They were filled with false stories to throw off both numbers and types of aircraft. Like I said this is from memory and its really a matter of semantics. Im not here to argue with you. Im just exercising my right to my opinion, And you to yours. My opinion states Apache yours Mustang ? Its only a name and really nothing more ? It isn't worth hi-jacking VG 33’s RFI Post. My apologies to you VG 33 for doing so. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Yes, on with the accolades for Patrick's A-36;

Again, well done and apologies for the thread drift, my fault.

I like your 'faded panel' effect, i'm a firm believer in getting away from the mono-chromatic look of a single colour scheme.

Cheers, and 'Model On !!'

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much.

Here are some pictures in progress.

As I told it was an easy kit. I preferred creating the landing lights with some clear sprue to conform better around the leading edge.

m_524176401_0.jpg

The dive breaks are just photo-etched and glued directly on the wings.

m_524176403_0.jpg

The radiator intake is a piece of resin and I had to make the three lights under the belly wich is peculiar to the A-36A.

m_524176405_0.jpg

After a pre-shading in black I painted her with Gunze Olive Drab and Neutral Gray.

m_524176406_0.jpg

Patrick

• Like 6

On 27/3/2018 at 6:01 AM, Tony Edmundson said:

Real nice work Patrick, lovely clean build;

now, Corsair, I think the word you were looking for was 'Mustang'

I had already read something about this twin name for this aircraft.

Patrick

• Like 1

On 27/3/2018 at 7:12 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It isn't worth hi-jacking VG 33’s RFI Post. My apologies to you VG 33 for doing so. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis

It is worth because this is about the subject of this kit.

Patrick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Very nice Muspache!

Subtly painted & weathered, I always find it tricky to get the tonal variation on a monochrome scheme that you've achieved.

Pete

Thank you Pete.

Actually to get something like this here is my process :

- pre-shading with Alclad Gunmetal along the panel lines,

- fine layers of acrylic paint,

- gloss acrylic varnish,

- transfers,

- gloss acrylic varnish again,

- enamel dark wash in and along the panel lines, this act as a filter on the paint,

- washing with white-spirit.

Patrick

• Like 1

Very nice indeed!

Must admit I would've called it a Mustang for not knowing any better.

Very pleased to be educated about why P-36 Apache is the correct designation.

:thanks:

• Thanks 1

Salut Patrick,

my favorite among the Mustang's family members.

It is beautifully built and very subtly painted and weathered. Absolutely top notch!

Congrats!!!

JR

• Thanks 1