Paints and Colors

jaca44

I obviously posted this in the wrong place originally, so I hope this will get replies.

As a newb, I'm not quite sure where to post this. I've just got my first kit for about 60 years; a Special Hobby Junkers Ju88C-4 NJ made in the Czeck Replublic. The colors mentioned  are either H** or C*** which seem to be Gunze colors, whatever they are. I think I worked out most as similar 'Mr. Hobby" Mr. Color numbers such that C61 = Mr. Hobby 61.  However I am not entirely clear if I have ordered the correct kind of paint finish. Also, what kind of finish should be used for the exterior camo colors. I have seen reference to weathering as well which seems interesting. Also I need to know whether the pains should be thinned or not. Any help or directions to help would be appreciated.

END

I sort of gave up on getting a reply so I bought of Mr. Color paints whioch seemed to be the equivalent.

Meanwhile, I cam across ion e-Bay A Revell Monogram Junkers JU88C-6 which was 'shelf worn' but I got anyway AFAIK these. are not made any more. Thinking in advance I am looking at the RLM colors mentioned there. I find color chrfts producing either no or different equivalents to what is listed. For Instance RLM71 dark green is klisted as Humbrol 5 admiralty grey and not listed at all on another chart. RLM 74 dark grey also no equivalent listed or as HUmbrol81 pale yellow!

I get my paints on Amazon if possible as see Mr. Color, Tamiya and Vallejo being the main choices.

It seems I need some good painting guides; any YouTube suggestions?

I'm thinking the camouflage colors would have been RLM 74/75 topsides over RLM 76. Those paints in the Mr. Color line (which FWIW I like very much; they're acrylic lacquers and cover well) are 36, 37 and 117 respectively. Yes, you'll need to thin them to airbrush. You can use lacquer thinner, but I prefer Mr. Color proprietary thinners for airbrushing, especially their Self Leveling Thinner, which contains a retardant.

If you have other RLM numbers to ID, you might post them and one of us can match them with the Gunze paints.

p.s. the Gunze H- line paints are aqueous acrylics and no longer available where I live.

Edited by Seawinder

Hmmmmm. 74/75/76 on a Ju88C-6?

I would think it would be more likely to have been 70/71/65 for a day scheme or 75 over 76 for a night scheme. Jaca, can you give us details of what aircraft you want to model? With that we can give you paint suggestions.

Andy

Edited by Crimea River

11 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Hmmmmm. 74/75/76 on a Ju88C-6?

I would think it would be more likely to have been 70/71/65 for a day scheme or 75 over 76 for a night scheme. Jaca, can you give us details of what aircraft you want to model? With that we can give you paint suggestions.

Andy

Well, the OP said Ju 88 C-4 NJ, which makes it a night fighter, so whether or not 74 was present (It was in a good number of Bf 110G night fighters), 75/76 seems pretty likely. In any case, I agree -- it would be good for Jaca to post the RLM numbers he needs to use, as I said in my post above.

20 minutes ago, Crimea River said:

Apologies. I though you meant the standard 74/75/76 fighter scheme.

No apology needed; but yes, I did mean the standard 74/75/76 scheme, which was used on night fighters at some point, I think just about into 1944. I'm not any kind of expert on Ju 88 NF schemes before the G-6, but the Special Hobby instructions (assuming they can be relied on) do show what looks like standard 74/75/76 for one of the options, as I noted above.

Hello

Actually, that one non-black scheme may well be RLM 70/71/65. Photos in David Williams' book Nachtjäger (1) - Luftwaffe night fighter units 1939-1943, published by Classic, seem to support this assumption. To some degree OP's questions had already been answered in his original post in Aviation Chat section here. Cheers

Jure

Thanks so much guys. All looks very useful. So to explain, I just got hold of 2 1:48 models to start. I am interested in Bomber Command and LW Nachtjagd models in particular.

1. I picked up a 1:48 special Hobby Junkers Ju88C-4  which will be done as R4  MK w.nr. 0359 2/njg2 May 1941  Exterior colors suggested Black h12/c33 Yellow c113 Off White H21/c69 and Burnt Iron H76/C61

2. Off e-Bay I picked up a "shelf worn"Revell Monogram Junkers Ju88C-6 which I plan to do as a 4/NJG2 1942 pioloted by an ace Helmut Lent  Recommended clrs

Top: Gray RLM 02  Dark Gray RLM 74 Balck Green RLM 70

Bottom: Gray RLM 02  Black Green RLM 70

I hope that clarifies what I have!

• Like 1

Well I have now numerous charts which either don't have the RLM number or contradict each other, Here's what I have so far. BTW, I am assuming a matte finish?

I don't insist on Mr. Color if another brand seems to fit better.

JU88C-6

Black Gray      RLM 66          Mr. Color C-116
Black Green    RLM 70*        Mr. Color C-18
Dark Green    RLM 71           Mr. Color C-17
Dark Gray      RLM 74*        ?H22 or H23
Flat Black       RLM ?
Flat White      RLM ?
Gray              RLM 02*        Mr. Color C-60
Gray             RLM 76
Gunmetal      RLM ?
Light Blue      RLM 65
Sand             RLM 79
Silver            RLM ?
Steel             RLM ?

Flat black is flat black, no worries about RLM #

Same for flat white, gunmetal steel and silver. all exist in the Mr Color range as does 76, 65, 79 

Metallic Silver C-08

Metallic Steel C-28

Flat Black      C-33

Flat White     C-62

RLM 65         C-115

RLM 76         C-117

RLM 79         C-119

I like Dark Iron for gunmetal MC-214 (Mr Color Metallic)

1. The Mr. Color acrylic lacquers and Mr. Hobby aqueous acrylics don't always have the same code numbers. I had already posted the Mr. Color codes for RLM 74/75/76 above, but I see Chuck1945 has filled in most of the gaps anyway. Mr. Color's RLM 79 sandgelb is C-119.

2. The Mr. Color paints are all (or nearly all?) semigloss out of the bottle. Not a problem -- makes it easier to get a good gloss surface for decaling, and you're going to have to apply some sort of clear flat coat at the end most likely anyway.

3. There are plenty of options besides Mr. Color for things like black, white, metallic silver (aluminum, probably), steel and gunmetal.

jaca, black was RLM 22(IIRC); white was RLM 21(this is certain). But, Chuck above(he posted his as I wrote mine) is correct about black and white. RLM 76 was called Lichtblau, or pale(very pale) blue. Gunmetal wasn't a color, per se, used by the Luftwaffe; but, after some of the threads here, who knows anymore? Any generic gunmetal should do, however. There was a silver paint used by the Luftwaffe, though. I want to say that it is RLM 01.

HTH

Joe

Forgot to mention that my understanding is that the paint used on LW aircraft were semi-gloss/semi-matt/satin when new on the bird. It did not take long for them to assume a matt finish due to the weather, etc.. Seawinder's note above is a good point, and tip.

Edited by JPuente54
add info

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I got distracted a bit but thanks for all that. I've now got most of the paints with a few still to come. Then I can get down to it. Tanks again for the help.