Hurricane Mk.1 33 Squadron “X”

As I was second on the sign up list for this GB I’d better pull my finger out. The plan is to build the last Hurricane to leave Crete, 33Squadron’s X W9298. I’ll use a 1/72 Airfix Mk.1 with decals from the Plastic Planet “Battle over Greece” decal sheet. A tropical filter will be salvaged from the Revell Sea Hurricane I’m building in the Carriers GB. Photos to follow once Flickr is accepting them from me again.

The decal sheet suggests a med colour scheme but the little information I’ve seen is inconclusive; a profile I saw via a Google search shows a Land Temperate scheme, a picture in Hurricane Aces 1941-5 errs towards the Land scheme but I’m not really sure. I’m also not entirely sure about the filter, the decal sheet says yes though. There is a bit more discussion here -

• Like 1

A majority of the photos from the Greek campaign show Temperate Land Scheme, including at least one with the so-called "spaghetti scheme".  I'm not sure that there are any that conclusively show a desert.  However such aircraft did exist in North Africa at this time, so without further information it's impossible to be definitive.

12 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

A majority of the photos from the Greek campaign show Temperate Land Scheme, including at least one with the so-called "spaghetti scheme".  I'm not sure that there are any that conclusively show a desert.  However such aircraft did exist in North Africa at this time, so without further information it's impossible to be definitive.

The decal sheet suggests a spaghetti-ish scheme (dark earth and middle stone only). The main factor at the moment is I have the Colourcoats paints for the desert scheme but I can jump that hurdle with the press of a few buttons. I’ll probably go with a majority verdict once it comes to airbrush time.

• Like 1

That's the Desert Scheme.  "Spaghetti scheme" is a term applied to fighters (Hurricanes and Fulmars - but not Martlets) where only the leading edge of the wing and the lower nose were painted a light colour and there was a mottle of two other colours on the light areas.   It was common in early 1941, mainly on Temperate Land Scheme aircraft but also on some in Desert Scheme colours  And, indeed, on the Temperate Sea Scheme in the case of the Fulmars.

You should also beware that the undersurface colour for fighters in this theatre was a light blue - sometimes said to be the very light Sky Blue, perhaps another more intense locally-brewed colour sometimes named as Iraqi Blue, or perhaps Azure Blue.  Azure Blue was the official match for the locally-produced colour, but has often been misrepresented as a darker colour.

57 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

That's the Desert Scheme.  "Spaghetti scheme" is a term applied to fighters (Hurricanes and Fulmars - but not Martlets) where only the leading edge of the wing and the lower nose were painted a light colour and there was a mottle of two other colours on the light areas.   It was common in early 1941, mainly on Temperate Land Scheme aircraft but also on some in Desert Scheme colours  And, indeed, on the Temperate Sea Scheme in the case of the Fulmars.

You should also beware that the undersurface colour for fighters in this theatre was a light blue - sometimes said to be the very light Sky Blue, perhaps another more intense locally-brewed colour sometimes named as Iraqi Blue, or perhaps Azure Blue.  Azure Blue was the official match for the locally-produced colour, but has often been misrepresented as a darker colour.

Graham, thanks for the reply and all the info (again) - this the representation on the decal sheet, which will explain what I’m on about

27164945698_860d4f8c08_b.jpg

• Like 1

That's the "spaghetti scheme", except it wasn't a light yellow colour but Aluminium, according to the best source.  It is not clear (at least to me) that this was the case as there is rarely any metallic sheen in the photos (there is sometimes).  But whatever it was, it was clearly lighter than both the Mid Stone of the Desert Scheme and the light blue underside.  That doesn't leave a lot of candidates even if you discount the known recommendation.

• Like 1

I’m an idiot, what I assumed was this in my stash...

40142718875_fea639f434_z.jpg

...turned out to be this...

40160352945_719b78db95_b.jpg

Either a rethink, I have the Plastic Planet Club 310 Czechoslovak Battle of Britain sheet, or a quick trip to LMS/online purveyor of plastic. This may depend on how intrigued or terrified I am by the spaghetti scheme information provided by Graham and Chris.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Either way, I'm not sure the spaghetti scheme would go with an early rag-wing Hurricane, which is what the Airfix 1/72 kit is.

Chris

Darn it, I’d assumed (wrongly, again) that the other Airfix Mk.1 was a metal wing. Back to the drawing board.

• Like 1

Well, it is a metal-winged Mk.I, so it's better than the Airfix kit, but it is an older kit and I'm not too sure if the prop is the right one. Others should know more than I do.

Chris

It used to be sold as a Mk.II, perhaps even as both, and I recall making it as a Mk.II in the days before I knew of any difference.  However I have no idea how long the nose is on the kit.  You are probably better finding an old (1980s) Airfix Hurricane Mk.I.  Just not the 1970s Mk.I/II/IV.

Given the time limit and my late start, I think I should change tack and bin this particular idea for the GB. I’ve had a look through my stash and there are three other options:

• Gloster Gladiator (some Swedish markings, one with a pleasingly big number 10, can be found on Hannants website)
  • Miles Master belonging to 310 Sqn - thinking about it this was the reason I bought the 310 decal sheet. The kit is resin and there’s a lot of yellow involved so I fear it will not end well
  • Spitfire Mk.IXc - 310 Sqn decals are available, the options I’ve seen involve D-Day stripes 

@Graham Boak and @dogsbody - I’m not ignoring your advice and information but I think W9298 might be better left for another day

Edited by Avereda
Corrected aircraft name
  • Like 2

There is the Hasegawa 1/72 Hurricane MK.I. While supposedly not the best Hurc out there, it has the right prop spinner included and in the box at least, it looks pretty good. Definitely not the worst Hurricane out there.

My 2 cents worth.

Chris

A couple of points to be made about the Hasegawa Hurricane.  If you can get the Battle of Britain Mk.I boxing, then OK(ish), but the standard box labelled as a Mk.Ib (sic) has the fuselage length of a Mk.II.  I think it was the most accurate and best fitting of Hurricane kits, but the new Airfix one (despite some flaws of its own, as most do) is the best for now - but not a metal wing.

6 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

A couple of points to be made about the Hasegawa Hurricane.  If you can get the Battle of Britain Mk.I boxing, then OK(ish), but the standard box labelled as a Mk.Ib (sic) has the fuselage length of a Mk.II.  I think it was the most accurate and best fitting of Hurricane kits, but the new Airfix one (despite some flaws of its own, as most do) is the best for now - but not a metal wing.

I’ve seen a Battle of Britain one on eBay but the seller wants over £20 which is a bit out of scope for the purpose of this GB - I have no idea what a reasonable price is by the way, that could be cheap as chips for all I know. However, I’d still like to build this plane and I’d still like to get in the GB gallery, I’ll start a new topic for a Swedish Gladiator and we’ll see how things pan out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Not unreasonable for one of the limited run versions, and I doubt that'd you'd get the standard one for that,  assuming you could anyway.

Probably I good job I haven’t had any wine yet, though I have the whole Bank Holiday ahead of me....

(UPDATE)... I lasted a whole 5 minutes before succumbing to an itchy trigger finger, I managed to justify it by putting in a sub-£20 offer and having it accepted

Edited by Avereda
Couldn’t help myself
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well the box art is nice...

27377914158_35da031739_b.jpg

Limited run kits, I’ll never learn. Any how after overcoming the disappointment of the cockpit detail and the child’s car seat for the pilot to sit in I thought I’d better crack on. I considered going with an aftermarket seat but I think I’ll save that fie another build.

39712048340_a6e6f75843_b.jpg

41479959232_2f4614f3ee_b.jpg

Oh, and it comes with one of those multi-part prop assemblies, I just about survived that treat 

41479958802_d13f00a49b_b.jpg

• Like 3

You got your hands on a Hasegawa Hurricane then, that's good news. I think one of their Mk1s has the correct length nose and a correct replacement tailwheel for a MkI but I know others will know better than me.

1 hour ago, Beard said:

You got your hands on a Hasegawa Hurricane then, that's good news. I think one of their Mk1s has the correct length nose and a correct replacement tailwheel for a MkI but I know others will know better than me.

This one definitely has the corrected tail wheel (I forgot to take the sprue shots - apologies).

55 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Don't forget to fill-in/sand off the outer gun details on the wings. Unless yours is a 12-gun aircraft.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I’ll try and find that out

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 1