1/48 MiG 15 new tool

Mike Esposito

How about Monogram?  I seem to recall that even after the Tamiya kit came out, there was a lot of discussion as to how the Monogram was still better in many ways, especially dimensions.

Unless I recall wrong...

A quick survey of 1/48 MiG-15 reviews suggests the Monogram kit is overscale enough to notice and the wing sweep angle on the Tamiya kit is wrong (not sure if too much or too little). The best overall, and it still has flaws, is the Trumpeter kit. The definitive 1/48 MiG-15 is yet to be produced. 

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1

The most glaring error with Trumpeter is the tail planes and fin are both too swept back. Considering that the Chinese built the things I'm amazed that they got it wrong. Replacement fin needed (and available) and the tail planes can be modified. But why!?!

I seem to remember Eduard upscaling as well, I hope they do. Then they may look at the MiG-21 2 seaters as well....

• Like 3

Concerning the question raised above I have found this.

Looks like traces of a 3D scan work on a MiG-15 all the way back in 2011. Have no idea who was doing it or for which company, what scale . . .  Photo is dated 2011.  Since all this was back in 2011 one can assume that nothing came of the project. I am sure in 7 years we would have seen some result if they were serious.

Dont think Edu had anything to do with this:

- They use different 3D scan technique

- It was thousands of km from Edu (they have many airframes in Czech Republic much closer)

One think is for certain, they were scanning the intake which has never been reproduced correctly on kits. It is a very simple shape but at the same time extremely complex, no wonder that kit makers get it wrong.

sBYFyUm.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That may not even be for a model kit.  There are a number of parties who could be interested in reproducing an aircraft for some reason - flight sims/video games, die cast manufacturers or even film makers (or people who create assets for CG) all spring to mind.

A 3D scan wouldn't need tape applied like this. This looks like "old school" measuring - capturing the complex shape by measuring between many fix points and by taking pictures with the reference tape in place.

J

There are many ways of doing a 3D scan, including some novel DIY versions too. :winkgrin:  The spots on Tamiya tape are random, it is not for measuring but more for lock points for later comp adjustment. Not only the nose was measured according to some photos but the whole airframe. 

Whad came of this is not known, we have seen some aircarft measured and scanned in museums and nothing was produced in the end. 

As to Edu doing it from the 72nd data. I dont think so, they have a full, Full, FULL production schedule! Including another MiG fighter in 72nd, so I say unlikely!

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

As to Edu doing it from the 72nd data. I dont think so, they have a full, Full, FULL production schedule! Including another MiG fighter in 72nd, so I say unlikely!

It shows how the market is changing now. Most of the stuff I'm interested is done by smaller manufacturers nowadays. If they keep going it'll be the small manufacturers who'll dominate the market soon. Bring it on I say.