S&M Models 1/72 Canberra B2/Mk20 RAAF A84-236

Wilks

Bought one of these at the yeovil show today. It looks a very fine model.

Your first two look the biz, so looking forward to seeing this one progress to completion.

Cheers

Terry

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Bought one of these at the yeovil show today. It looks a very fine model.

Your first two look the biz, so looking forward to seeing this one progress to completion.

Cheers

Terry

Terry, many thanks. I enjoyed those two and likewise with this one.

The following link to the T4 I did may be of interest to you. 

I did see on Hannants website that they are now stocking the canopy masks for these which is a big help. There are also some brass etch coming too.

Good luck with yours when you get to it.

Cheers,

AGW..

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The cockpit looks nicely detailed Tone and a nice fit with the fettled canopy.

Thanks Ray. Fit pretty good to start with. Well into the tidying up phase now. Hope to be adding the wings overs over the weekend. Cheers,

AGW..

15 hours ago, Magua87 said:

I'm enjoying these builds. They'll prove very helpful as I hear S&M have announced a PR3 for next year (it's on the wishlist). 

Glad to be of assistance... I think you'll enjoy the kit. Cheers,

AGW..

15 hours ago, Magua87 said:

I'm enjoying these builds. They'll prove very helpful as I hear S&M have announced a PR3 for next year (it's on the wishlist). 

Me also. Having just bought the S&M B2, I also have the PR3 on the wish list for next year.

13 minutes ago, Wilks said:

Glad to be of assistance... I think you'll enjoy the kit. Cheers,

AGW..

You certainly have started something here, AGW!

Terry

30 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Me also. Having just bought the S&M B2, I also have the PR3 on the wish list for next year.

You certainly have started something here, AGW!

Terry

Thanks Terry. 

Only too happy to share my humble progress on these. I really am enjoying them. It is a good kit.

Progress continues with the clear part of the fuselage and canopy blended in. Super Glue way my friend here along with a 150 grit sanding stick.

27188916708_55dcefc126_z.jpg

39251446960_5403364f42_z.jpg

A little bit of lighter sanding to be done to and we'll be ready to start on the wings.

Cheers,

AGW..

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't resist the temptation to put some decals on this one.

It looked like the Aussie Decal sheet I had was going to provide the right size and shape lightening bolt for this one albeit with a minor trim up of a few mm off the bottom.

No such luck! The printing is off with two different colors of red on the decal once it comes off the backing sheet.

My solution was using the always good quality decals that come with High Planes Models kits. Using some sharp scissors I cut their rendition of the red lightening bolt to suit the size and shape of the references photos I have. Not a bad result.

Looking forward to adding the remaining decals this week in readiness for a trip back to the paint shop on the weekend and some bombs...

41437318412_84accc4123_z.jpg41437318412_84accc4123_z.jpg

41479419961_9ee4971235_z.jpg

Cheers,

AGW..

Edited by Wilks
Added photo
  • Like 7

Antoney, 

Your third S & M Canberra is really coming up beautifully. Looking forward to seeing it finished and displayed with your first two.

Can I ask what scheme you plan on doing for No.4? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

18 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Antoney, 

Your third S & M Canberra is really coming up beautifully. Looking forward to seeing it finished and displayed with your first two.

Can I ask what scheme you plan on doing for No.4? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Hi there Dave.

She is coming up rather well. Bombs are out of their packaging so not long now.

Number four would likely carry a yellow lightening flash to round out the fins on the other three.  

Not sure when I'll get this underway as my Porter and trio of Hornets are feeling rather neglected at the minute. Still might be a project for this year although I am running out of cabinet space.

26710372847_1e0d2eb0e9_z.jpg

40867452544_8808385a56_z.jpg

Cheers,

AGW..

• Like 6

Nice to see the AGW production line in full swing. A No. 1 Squadron Canberra would look a treat and add yet another different scheme to your bulging cabinet. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

These are amongst three of the best 1:72 scale Canberras to ever grave this forum and the best form of advertising to promote this S&M / Mikro Mir kit. 

Excellent modelling Antoney.

Cheers.. Dave

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

These are amongst three of the best 1:72 scale Canberras to ever grave this forum and the best form of advertising to promote this S&M / Mikro Mir kit. 

Excellent modelling Antoney.

Cheers.. Dave

Many thanks Dave. Appreciate the kind words. I do hope they help sell a few more of the S&M / Mikro Mir kits as a result. It is a good one and I hope S&M / Mikro Mir sell a heap and are able to reinvest in something else that closes gaps in our respective collections.

Cheers,

AGW..

Managed to move this one across the finish line this afternoon.

The High Planes Models bombs and bomb racks are very nice and well worth the investment in my humble opinion.

Painting and some Flory Models Weathering Washes and they were done.  Additional braces and tubing for the racks were made with Evergreen strips and rod.

Aerials and lights were done using the same plastic strips and rod.

I enjoyed this kit as much as my other two S&M Models Canberra's.  Time to ponder the next one.

Cheers,

AGW..

40885833665_97c5691a9b_b.jpg

40885833605_6e5933de5e_k.jpg

40885834035_c2151d6e4a_b.jpg

41067755004_da3ecdb348_k.jpg

40885834265_a6c935664e_k.jpg

40885834375_25e67509a7_k.jpg

40885834705_1cd1141966_k.jpg

40885834495_547fd9717e_k.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Wilks 

Great work on your Canberra's  I have the S&M models and the AMP T11  did you have and problems with the butt fitting of all of the major parts it seems to me that a knock on and of the joint (or even knocking them off the shelf when dusting) could be costly did you reinforce the the joints in any way or are the joints ok by just gluing them together

Geoff Arnold 

1 hour ago, Geoff Arnold said:

Hi Wilks 

Great work on your Canberra's  I have the S&M models and the AMP T11  did you have and problems with the butt fitting of all of the major parts it seems to me that a knock on and of the joint (or even knocking them off the shelf when dusting) could be costly did you reinforce the the joints in any way or are the joints ok by just gluing them together

Geoff Arnold 

Geoff,

thanks for the kind words on the build. 

I had no problems with the butt joints.  I addressed fuselage with plastic table that were glued into place on one half ahead of joining the two halves together. This ensured a good purchase using extra thin cement.  I filled all the joins with Zap-A-Gap so extra strength built in there.

For the wings I used extra thin cement followed by plastic card for any remaining gaps. This was adhered with a further amount of extra thin cement and then trimmed when dried to match the contour of the upper and lower surfaces.

The wing join gaps were then filled with super glue.

For the horizontal stabilizers this was all extra thin cement. A few helpings to ensure they welded together and the join was solid.

The following may assist: 

I did drop the second model once it was in undercoat/primer. Solid as a rock. Given the 30 odd grams of nose weight I was more worried about denting the wooden floor... :-)!

Trust this helps with your build.  Happy to answer any other questions you have on these based on my humble experience.

Cheers,

AGW..