Eduard Fw 190-A8 dual build

In a bid to up my output and clear down the stash, I dug this out:

2_AACF90_A-_BDDB-480_B-_A4_B2-5_AC60533_

I am planning on building both at the same time and doing them closed up :). As you would imagine, there is a lot of plastic in the box including 2 wing sets with different armament and 3 complete fuselages. Two of them are straight A8s and the third gives you the option to build the R2 Stormbock version with the armour panels on the cockpit sides:

C9_CB23_AB-9687-4783-_BF62-471_FC3174621

In addition to the normal coloured photo etch, you also get a more comprehensive set for each aircraft, etched flaps and a set of tools which could be handy if dioramas are your thing. There is also an interesting booklet about the air battle over the Ore Mountains in 1944:

2_B5_CE068-_D2_AE-4415-_AA0_D-_AB099_B17

And finally, you get a pice of scrap metal purportedly from an actual Fw-190 and a replica Ritterkreuz which could come in handy if you get invited to any 'Allo 'Allo themed fancy dress parties:hmmm:

9_CE09_BEC-_B71_B-4242-9_AF1-_A5150_EE20

I'mon a Mr Paint delivery before I make a proper start but have started snipping bits off sprues and doing a bit of test fitting to remind myself of where the potential pitfalls are. Here is a test fitting of the engine bulkhead and gun platform with the cockpit tub in place:

51_DC34_EE-_C402-4_E9_A-8_A12-_D2_C25_D6

I'm off for the whole of Easter week so hope to get both built up before going back to work. Time permitting, i might start assembling the u/c bays into the lower wings tomorrow.

More soon,

Howard

• Like 7

Managed to get more done than I thought today. Both lower wings are now complete and have received a base coat of RLM02. First off, I started with the wing spars. These have notches on the reverse side to accomodate the inner wing gun bays. I have increased the size of them to hopefully prevent any conflict when the wings and fuselage come together. They inner lengths were carefully cemented in ensuring everything was square. When set, the outer lengths were cemented in:

73A82F25-CD4D-429A-B675-A5A8F7D9B3C3.jpg  793_DA60_B-6537-4_C0_B-_AF0_E-_A18877_DD

Then a quick test fit to ensure everything was going ok:

14_DC8_C22-_A4_A8-493_E-956_A-8_DFD806_C

I have cut off the bottom of the ammunition boxes and their ejector chutes so that when I come to fit the wing hopefully I will not be constrained by the engine bulkhead. Rest of the build up was then quite straightforward:

0_E2619_E0-_E8_F0-4_E33-_AC6_E-91_E9_BC7    F411_B5_DB-_F8_FE-4492-93_D4-9_DE582_CCD

Finally, another test fit which is the secret to these kits:

9645_B168-_FF1_F-48_F5-_A4_B3-_E175_E543

Looking quite promising :) Probably won't touch this until next weekend now.

Thanks for dropping by,

Howard

• Like 5

Shaping up nicely, like you say, the secret to a stress free build with these kits is plenty of dry fitting, do that and everything fits nice and snug.

As for the p/e, the landing flaps build up great.

6 hours ago, tank152 said:

As for the p/e, the landing flaps build up great.

Not mine, I drove over them with my chair. :mellow: You are right about the test fitting though. 

3 hours ago, mick said:

good start

Thanks for dropping in Mick.  Seems to be going alright but plenty of time for a cock up yet:happy:.

• 2 weeks later...

Started on the cockpits over the Easter weekend. I descided to use the coloured etch as my brush painting skills aren't good. I substituted the new steel belts instead of the supplied ones. Here they are nearing completion:

7_D94400_B-37_E4-4_FCF-_BF2_A-423233_E1_

Yesterday I joned the fusealge halves:

6_C695_E2_B-_CE27-40_D0-9799-0_A42_D1300

The engine bulkheads and gun platforms went in next. I found it best to secure one side at a time. Once dry, i then added the cockpit bulkhead:

29_D19_D9_F-08_E0-49_FF-9074-189869109_B      2_BB91591-39_EB-4_B2_A-99_F4-_D35_B7_B35

I tend to get best results by fitting the upper wings to the fuselage. But first, the gun apertures need enlarging to accomodate the hatches in the closed position. As you can see, I took a litle too much off :hmmm:I then glued the cover into the wing and then attached the wing before the glue set. This enables me to fine tune the fit of the covers from underneath. Five hands is always useful at times like this but I had to make do with a bit of mild cursing:

50848895-_BE8_B-4_B74-_B809-_ACA8_DAD1_F   8_D12_AA4_E-1185-435_A-8_FE0-_BAF478_C95

Finally, wing uppers attached and a little Mr Surfacer to fill the gaps round the hatches:

273704_AA-_BDBF-49_A7-_BD88-_D73_FA90_EF

Today, the lower wings are being fitted and the engines are being built up. More updates soon and thanks for dropping by.:thumbsup2::)

• Like 7

Blimey H you're not hanging around with these are ya!  Its always good to see how different people go about building the same thing. Those steel belts are far better aren't they compared with the old type.

They'll soon be both getting a lick of paint at this rate.

Keep the updates coming.

Tim.

Thanks Kurt,

Its the first time in about half a dozen years where I’ve got time off and nothing much to do. Enjoying the builds and reckon the paint will be flowing by the weekend. Agree about the belts, how do you build yours?

H

Doh, got ya. I just follow the destructions, probably due to always fabricating stuff to the letter with our drawings at work. I don't think I could trust myself to fix the upper wing without the lower being fixed to it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tank152 said:

I just follow the destructions,

You've got me thinking now as to why I build them this way. These are numbers 6 and 7 and have never built any of them by following the destructions! You might be onto something!:hmmm:

13 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

might be a good way to go with this kit though as H is demonstrating - one day I will do one of these!

Look forward to seeing it although Kurt's way might be better :D

7 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Following this topic, really interesting watching this kits being built.

Glad you are following. Some people seem to struggle with these and thought I would share my ideas.

As of this morning, the lower wings are on without too many dramas, although I did end up with a bit of an over bite on one of them for reasons I cannot fathom at the moment. Engine mounts are in, engines and cowlings built up and fuselage gun cowling fitted to one. Can't see any point in wasting a lot of time painting the engine as it's virtually invisible once fitted, I will just spray the fronts with something sutable. Not much to do now before a coat of primer goes on :)

BFB046_FE-_D514-4_BEE-_A73_C-4_DAE40928_

• Like 2

H,

Some very neat work on show there.

I think the worse thing about these kits apart from fat tail is the u/c legs attachment points, they aint the best are they?

• Like 1

Thanks Kurt,

You’re right, the undercarriage is another one of those five hands moments. The tail is a bit chubby but personally I can live with it:

C08_CE3_BE-5_D18-4_DCA-_A825-199118_B6_F

What do you reckon?

• Like 2

Most of the construction finished today with cowlings and control surfaces attached. Canopy windscreens have been attached and the frames painted with the interior colour. This gave me an opportunity to test some of the seams and panel lines whilst I had paint in the brush. They should both get a coat of primer tomorrow and I may even get to start painting one of the fuselages. After tomorrow, normal life resumes so these builds will slow right down :)

AFFC8583-_E6_C6-4_F5_F-_A7_E9-_F972_C660

Thanks for looking,

H

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

12 days and both aircraft are almost completed, nice job. 

Did the guns give you fit problems when you tried to attach the gun covers?

The fuselage gun cover? Yes, a complete waste of time. Even with some serious trimming they won’t fit. Best option is to cut off the barrels and either attach to the troughs in the engine cowling or attach to the underside of the cover. I think the kit was designed in such a way that the cover would always be open. Fitting in the closed position needs a little fettling for it to fit right.  Nothing tricky, just some very gentle trimming and all is good. Securing one side at a time with a good liquid cement works well IMHO.

2 hours ago, mick said:

great progress

Thanks Mick, it has been enjoyable so far. Looking forward to getting the paint on. 

• Thanks 1

Afternoon all,

Here's todays' update. Both airframes have been primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 shot through my Tamiya HG 97 airbrush:

08_FABDD4-8_DF0-4145-_AAC3-_A43_E130_E8_

I've had this airbrush nearly 20 years now and it still performs flawlessly. In all that time I've only replaced the needle twice :)

I've also painted the Reichsverteidigung band on the A9 using my normal Iwata HP-C+. The white is Tamiya and the green a blend of MrHobby Aqueous H26 Light Green and H6 Green:

6_A9328_E9-0422-4_E3_B-_BE82-_D04_FAED58

Since this photograph was taken I've also sprayed some Mr Hobby Super Metallics on the wing roots followed by a couple of coats of AK worn effects chipping fluid. When the paint has hardened off I will mask off the tail band restore the black surfaces. Next stage will be to paint the fuselages but it might take me another week to get there.

Thanks for dropping by,

Regards

H

• Like 2

On 04/04/2018 at 21:37, Howard Moon said:

Thanks Kurt,

You’re right, the undercarriage is another one of those five hands moments. The tail is a bit chubby but personally I can live with it:

C08_CE3_BE-5_D18-4_DCA-_A825-199118_B6_F

What do you reckon?

I reckon the tail is one of the main reasons Eduard is re-doing the A/F series. As you have demonstrated here these kits are perfectly buildable.

2 hours ago, Howard Moon said:

I've also painted the Reichsverteidigung band on the A9 using my normal Iwata HP-C+. The white is Tamiya and the green a blend of MrHobby Aqueous H26 Light Green and H6 Green:

6_A9328_E9-0422-4_E3_B-_BE82-_D04_FAED58

Looking good, nice work on the RVD band, will you be using masks for the National markings?

• Like 1