Tamiya - Schwerer Panzerspähwagen (8-Rad) Sd.Kfz. 232

Hi all, good afternoon. This may be my last posting for a few weeks. I have been drafted in to redesign a kitchen and produce a foam core model. You know what women are like, don't know what they want until they see it.......:D. So I'll be knee deep in paper and board for some time. Packed my model equipment away, for hot glue gun and tape.....

But before my interim distraction, thought I'd pop this up.

This one was languishing for some time. May 6+ years, but as I have no painting capabilities at present I persevered and got it to virtual primer state. All I have to fit are the two tools on the front, but that were misplaced in the recent clean up. The are somewhere in a tub or box somewhere......

Overall, quite a tough one to do the PE on. Rain channels were a real tough bend. And the hinges I realised mid pint when carving off the old one's, to leave the hinge level with the door etc; or they were difficult to sit, as bending them to met the change in door to body level was near impossible. So lesson learned for the future. My mini orbital sander was a god send to remove at the moulded detail before adding the PE upgrade. Stayed with the kit barrel, and drilled it out, along with the front and rear horn.

My only negative are the vision ports and their fit into the main hull - really rough, but it is a kit from the 70's so not complaining too much.

Anyway, here she is until the kitchen is done..........:huh:

XdHJ6bM.jpg

yMLBvIz.jpg

B0xf5Cq.jpg

UZ1T47v.jpg

9dadDV7.jpg

q13IqRp.jpg

See you soon.....

Simon.

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, Soeren said:

You should not paint your models, just clearcoat, to Keep and Show off all the "bling" ;)

Hi Soeren, how are you mate.

Thanks for that.....I thought the same in that it does look like a Christmas tree.....:D.

I tell you what was running through my mind when building this one, in building the T-34 then this 232, you can start to see why the Germans had trouble with keeping up with  production rates, what they didn't bolt on.....the amount of labour it must have taken just to build an armoured car, let alone a Tiger....they didn't know when to say "that'll do", unlike the Russians...I suppose the end results proved the right decision....a red flag on the Reichstag...:D

Thanks again......I have a long line up now waiting for their top coats....

Simon.

Wow, photo etch factory or what!!!  You have lots more patience than I, like you say, when do you quit?

Coming really good under all that brass though but it sure isn't any swan far as looks go.

Will this be German Grey or the regular yellow based camo?

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

Hi Lloyd, cheers mate.......yeah, they didn't know when designing this when to stop adding stuff......I mean, drip channels for the rain.......:huh:

I'm going for a yellow based camo, beaten up after a few years in the Southern Ukraine, but also I might consider a winter camo somewhere near Leningrad.

You take too mate

Simon.

Hi Keith, well that's praise indeed, many thanks.

I had a few issue's here and there, the rain channels above the vision slots being the biggest one. I had to decide to leave them buckled somewhat as battle damage :D  As I said at the start of this thread, I started this one a long time ago, in an early attempt in getting back into modelling again. I chose one with extensive PE to get some practice back in - in at the deep end you might say. 

There is a knack in keeping PE clean when fitting. Cryo glue has a "sweet spot" when it's drying, and if you get it right, it really easy to with the flat of a blade to scrape it off. I use 15a scalpel blades which are perfect. It come's off like that thin "gummy" like consistency, and leaves no marks. Once it's past that point though, you have to scratch it off though.....:swear:. It also helps to have the right applicator method. I make my own with stretched spru to a very thin diameter. They are disposable also, which is a positive.

Thanks again mate

Simon.

21 hours ago, Sairou said:

Lovely PE work, very clean. I'll be following this build with interest.

Hi Sairou, many thanks. I can't say I'll be posting any updates on this one for a bit as I have a larger non military model to build in between.....I'd like to at least get a primer on it if I can lay my hands on the shovel and pick part I miss-placed n my clean up....:swear:

18 hours ago, Ripaman said:

As the others have said Simon great PE will look very good under a coat of paint :like:

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard, cheers mate. I'm curious too to get it painted and see how the PE shows up......they always look a little rough prior to primer......

10 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

A Particular vehicle I like to see :-) great work on the etch! 

Thanks Steve.......yeah, I always felt a nice subject; and typically Germanic, well over engineered.....:D, I'd have hated to have to fix this thing in a barn with basic tools somewhere on the Steppe.....nightmare....:worry:.  Looking forward to getting colour on this, along with my growing line up of naked builds.......:D

10 hours ago, clive_t said:

Wow, some serious brass work going on here! :thumbsup2: Wish I could get the knack of doing such things cleanly

Hi Clive, how's things....yeah, Christmas tree comes to mind.....:lol:. I know what you mean ate..I had the same feelings on my first bit of PE, but it is a case of practice. I've started using some new kit. A part picker and placer.....nothing as simple as a wax type pencil...clever really. Makes all the difference. As I mentioned also before, don't be afraid of cryo glue. A medium thickness I find best. And if you let it dry, it is easy to gently scrape off the excess. Best thing to do is get a basic PE set. Don't use the parts, but chop up the PE fret and practice glueing that to an old kit.......you get to know how long to let the glue dry before clean up etc...amongst other experience.

Don't be afraid to drop a message if you ahve any questions I might be able to help you with.

Cheers

Simon.

Hi Kris, cheers.

Me too, can’t wait until I get the painting started. But Your going to have to wait until May 😒😩 unfortunately mate, when I get my hands on a compressor. Until then my military modelling is in hibernation. More in the architectural with a kitchen, dining and longe design to get done 😎

thanks again for the ositive comment

I know how it is. For last two month I have on first floor some room modifications and it was affecting modelling. Will wait as it is worth it. 

I don’t mind, somewhat a change from the building of AFV’s for the last few months. I hope I still have my mojo on the painting. They’ll be the first I’ll have painted for nearly 20 years.......looking forward to getting back in with a brush😎👍

Simon

• 5 weeks later...

Morning all....thought I'd drop a primer on this one before my day begins. This is the first one I have done with a black primer. Seems to be a popular method on demo vids on Youtube, so thought I'd give it a go. I might even give it a go for winter camo on this one, in place of the T34, as I like the un-cammo detail I did, and wouldn't want to loose it.....😁

See you later

B5ibzta.jpgkoamwvy.jpg

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Came across this in a box and had totally forgotten it.........I was never really happy with the kit, being a very old Tamiya one and the Eduard PE set I got for it was not really that accurate and was lacking somewhat.....:think: in many area's.....so, through on it's base coat with some pre shading. Going to have some practice fun on this one, and use it as a trial unit............ as it won't make the display cabinet......:tmi:

Pre-shading

rExic6X.jpg

Two shades of Dunkelgelb (Vallejo)

emyIUWC.jpg

3j8xHQH.jpg

O8PgIEn.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Along with the Panther........got some time on the 8 rad. Just some filters and chipping. Sorry for the shiny bits........picked up the wrong clear coat..:think:.. remedy that in the final clear coat after mud and dust before final weathering with pigments etc.

r0kVDN4.jpg

RfyQMaz.jpgYgpXEY5.jpg

• Like 7

Nice, the blind is gone and still looks finely detailed.  The lighter shades, although not as exaggerated here, look really the part once panel lines separate the different section.

1 hour ago, Sancho Panzer said:

Hi @Redcoat2966

that's a very nice build with superb colour modulation, camo and chipping - I'm looking forward to seeing the weathering progress,

Cheers,

Andrew

31 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Nice, the blind is gone and still looks finely detailed.  The lighter shades, although not as exaggerated here, look really the part once panel lines separate the different section.

Thanks Chaps.......it's an old Tamiya kit and showed it's age compared to modern one's. The PE wasn't the best, and the hatch's etc; were rudimentary............Finally cracked my own personal method of chipping, that works for me........the sponge method doesn't work IMOA.....looks too blobby :nah:

Thanks again

:yes: