1/48 Super Etendard

zebra

I'm going to join in with the Kinetic 1/48 Super Etendard. I haven't got on well with Kinetic kits previously but I've heard this one is good so will give it a go. I've got the Eduard interior PE set for it, so will use that. Colour scheme will be one of the schemes in the box - not 100% decided, either Argentine or a Super Etendard Modernise in the two-greys camouflage. Leaning towards the SEM and will have to make my mind up quickly as the differences between the standard and modernise aircraft come up early in the build. 

Here's the box shot. I'll probably start tomorrow.

Kinetic SuE

• Like 7

welcome aboard, and I do like your choice.

It's nice to see one of these in the GB, I do like this aircraft a lot and is one I have wanted to build but just never got around to it.

Good luck with the build, will be following with interest and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

I got a bit carried away and forgot to take progress photos. So things are fairly far gone for a first WIP photo!

Super Etendard WIP

Cockpit is part done - will add a few details, the IP and the coaming when I'm happy with all the fuselage seams - a little (but not a lot) filler needed. It's gone together ok. Everything on the inside fits quite snugly. The intake trunking wants to sit too far from the intake lip, but a bit of superglue inside the lip to hold it in place has dealt with that. Since I took this photo I've added a few of the detail parts - there are different options for things like ECM fit for the SuE and SEM, you can see the cut-outs for them on the fin - these don't fit particularly well and will need a little filler.

A couple of shots of the cockpit with the seat and IP dry-fitted. The Eduard pre-painted PE does a nice job of dressing up the seat and cockpit. I think a well painted and weathered resin cockpit would look better but this is more than good enough for me.

Super Etendard WIP

Super Etendard WIP

Thanks for looking

Z

• Like 7

Great start with your model. Have you already decided witch version you are gonna build?!  I am looking forward to see some more progress. 

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

wow that cockpit looks great!! Yes resin and careful painting will always look better but it can really take sometime, but you don't have to worry here that Eduard PE set looks fantastic. :thumbsup:

You're making great progress, keep up the great work.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2018 at 9:05 AM, trickyrich said:

wow that cockpit looks great!! Yes resin and careful painting will always look better but it can really take sometime, but you don't have to worry here that Eduard PE set looks fantastic. :thumbsup:

You're making great progress, keep up the great work.

Thanks Rich!

A bit more progress this weekend - intakes and wings attached. Fit is ok but not fantastic - a bit of fettling needed to get the intakes right, and there's a gap at the leading edge of the wing root that will have to be filled, but it won't take long to deal with. Once I'm happy that all the seams have been dealt with I'll get back on to the cockpit. Here's how it's looking tonight:

Super Etendard WIP

• Like 7

Going to be nice this one. That cockpit! Hoping to do a full French carrier compliment one time for a shelf display, Rafale M through to helicopter and Hawkeye. Was going to skip the Etendard but this is making me want to include it now. Good work so far 

• Thanks 1

Cockpit finished and closed up. The Eduard pre-painted PE set really does make a difference to the cockpit. A couple of photos before I closed the cockpit:

Super Etendard WIP

Super Etendard WIP

And one after (out of focus) showing the difference in width between the windscreen part and the fuselage that others have noted in their builds. It's nice that the windscreen part includes part of the fuselage, in theory it should make it much easier to blend the windscreen in, but it defeats the point if it's not a good fit! Someone else on BM - apologies, can't remember who - dealt with it by scraping plastic away from the fuselage part and then using filler to blend it in, and I think I'll try this method.

Super Etendard WIP

• Like 2

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

that cockpit looks great, nice and busy as it should.

Thanks Rich. That's the last we'll see of it for a while as the canopy is now masked and I've given everything a coat of primer. Various external details were added before that, which really highlighted one irritation with this kit - the instructions are terrible - half the part numbers of the parts I used today were wrong (there was even a part number from sprue E - there isn't a sprue E!) and they're a little vague on the positioning of a few parts. Still, making progress, and might get the first coat of camouflage paint on tomorrow.

• Sad 2

Today I've preshaded and got the first coat of paint - the lighter grey - done. Starting to get the hang of preshading - this is the first time I've been happy with the result. Photo shows it before I'd painted the underside so there's a bit of pre-shading showing that I hadn't painted over yet - that's done now. My enthusiasm for this kit had been fading but it's coming back now that I can see how it looks with some paint on it.

Super Etendard WIP

• Like 5

Pre shading looks like will be a good effort. This is going to be a super Super Etendard..the cockpit too can't wait for the next stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nice work with the pre-shading. I've found you can even go a bit heavier with the contrast and it doesn't hurt the overall effect and can actually look better.

Am dying to to see how the main colours come out.

• Thanks 1

Today I've masked, pre-shaded again, painted and unmasked. Pretty happy with how this has turned out. The effect of the pre-shading is pretty subtle, which is what I was going for, and I'm pretty happy with the camouflage.

Although there are a few things about this kit that have irritated me, I'm starting to love how it's turning out, and it might just be overcoming my previous fairly intense dislike of Kinetic kits!

Super Etendard WIP

• Like 3

22 hours ago, trickyrich said:

lovely job with the paintwork, really worth the effort

Thanks Rich

Didn't get a lot of time for the SuE today - busy with non-modelling things today - daughter's birthday party and cooking curry (chicken tikka masala and naan bread, all made from scratch, and turned out rather well) - and most of my modelling time was spent on the Spitfire in the RAF 100th GB. But I did get the radome and a couple of other detail bits on the SuE painted, and got the undercarriage on. Always nice to find it's not a tailsitter!

Super Etendard WIP

• Like 4

This just found its way to the shelf of doom. I saw some Vallejo wash in the LMS and decided to give it a try. End result was that in trying to remove some excess wash I’ve removed some paint from the model. I’d got all the decals on, there’s no touching it up. It’s going to need to be stripped back and repainted, and I’ll need to source some replacement decals, so this one is on hold for now.

i seem to be incapable of finishing a Kinetic kit. Either I stuff something up or I end up getting frustrated with the kit. I have no problems finishing things that should be much harder, like Amodel kits, I generally finish most kits that I start, so this Kinetic problem mystifies me.

ah well, onwards and upwards. Best get back on the horse! So I’m going to crack on with my other two ongoing builds and also dig something out of the stash and start something new. Things I have in mind are a Spitfire/Seafire double build (marks 17 and 19), an Airfix Phantom FG.1 double build (one FAA, one RAF) or an Airfix Sea Fury. 

• Sad 3

That is a shame as your Super Etendard progressed so nicely. Did you seal the decals first with some gloss clear before you applied the wash? Really surprised that the wash is so aggressive. Is it oil based?

I hope you get back to it one day.

Cheers, Peter

Not sealing was the mistake I think. I'll get back to it, but will need some new decals first. Will work on that. Meanwhile I'm not going to let this hold me back - getting on with a Spitfire/Seafire triple build.

That is a great shame, the model was looking really cool in the two tone grey scheme as well, I hope it doesn't remain on the shelf for too long.

• Thanks 1

that's a real shame to hear, hopefully you can recover from it. Did it affect the whole model or just one patch? As you may be about to fix it with some careful masking and other decals for the spares box?

I've never used Vallejo washes before so can't say what could have gone wrong, I mainly use Tamiya's or AK Interactive. I'll have a clear coat over the main colours and normally decals on but no clear over them. Because I'm using acrylics I can use enamel thinners to wipe away the excess, If I'm too aggressive I can lift the base colours, but as long as I'm careful. AK Interactive when it's completely dry you can almost brush it off...well mine you can.

Hopefully you can sort it out, it would be really nice to see one of these in the gallery.

.......a Phantom FG.1 would be nice?

• Like 1

Great work Z  I had the same problem, thought I'd try Vellejo wash rather than my usual home made and the damn stuff just would'nt come of

so the kit was binned!

• Sad 1