1/72 Airfix Sabre Mk2 441 Sqn

Used a KiwiResin wing, Pavla wheels and canopy, RedRoo tanks, DEKLS for the markings along with some Arrow Graphics and Leading Edge decals.  The wing is practically a drop in fit, but I was not impressed with the slat mounting and it gave me no end of trouble.   Airfix landing gear and speedbrakes are woefullly inadequate but  i elected not to improve those areas.   A little work was done to the area behind the seat under the canopy.   Wingtip nav lights are clear sprue bits filed and sanded to conform.  Fuselage vents had to be added to make it a proper Canadair Mk2.

X34iVQ4.jpg

595eF0V.jpg

uAkP3P2.jpg

jVP92PO.jpg

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 42

Terrific.  A superb natural metal finish.  Looks like 441 were operating during a particularly harsh Canadian winter.  I've been wanting to build an early, natural metal Canadair Sabre as I think some of the schemes worn were really appealing but I've been unable to locate any suitable decals in 1/72.   DEK Ls are new to me so I'll take a look at what they offer.  Seems they do Aussie Sabres as well which I've also wanted to do. 

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Terrific.  A superb natural metal finish.  Looks like 441 were operating during a particularly harsh Canadian winter.  I've been wanting to build an early, natural metal Canadair Sabre as I think some of the schemes worn were really appealing but I've been unable to locate any suitable decals in 1/72.   DEK Ls are new to me so I'll take a look at what they offer.  Seems they do Aussie Sabres as well which I've also wanted to do. 

441 Sqn flew out of North Luffenham actually. :)

• Like 2

Tamiya AS-12 decanted for the airbrush.  I  Tinted the AS12 with  Gunze white and black and sprayed a few masked panels.  Gunze smoke applied and lots of 3M post-it notes used as temporary masks.  Spencer Pollard’s YouTube tutorial on NMF finishes is a good place to start.

cheers, Tony

I assume the canopy is the Pavla vac set for the F-86A?  Never seen on used, always wanted to pick one up, though.  I only ask because I had the (now OOP) 'Scooby Productions' narrow-cord wing with the idea of initially using it on the Heller (later the Airfix) kit like yourself, except it proved to be anything but a drop in fit to either kit.  It appeared tp be made for the Fujimi kit which has a much wider fuselage compared to either of the aforementioned kits.

Scott

Yep, the Scobie wing was for the Fujimi/HobbyCraft series.    The KiwiResin will only fit the new Airfix Sabre due to the way Airfix made their wing fit up.  Kiwi did not correct the ‘bloated belly’ of the Airfix kit though(and therefore, neither did I).  The Pavla canopy  is made for the Airfix kit but needs a bunch of filler at the front area.

Cheers, Tony

Some of the marking were ALPS printed, so they wore naturally as I manhandled the kit, others, I used some steel wool, scraped with an Exacto and oversprayed with a light coat of Al.

All trial and error as most of my builds turn out to be.

Cheers, Tony

Yep, the Scobie wing was for the Fujimi/HobbyCraft series.    The KiwiResin will only fit the new Airfix Sabre due to the way Airfix made their wing fit up.  Kiwi did not correct the ‘bloated belly’ of the Airfix kit though(and therefore, neither did I).  The Pavla canopy  is made for the Airfix kit but needs a bunch of filler at the front area.

Thanks Tony.  Guess I'll have to try to pick up a couple of those along with the Pavla 'Mk.2' canopy.  I've got a Mk.2 & a Mk.4 waiting in the stash (both based on the Airfix kit).

Scott

• 1 month later...