Monogram 1969 Z to SS Restoration/ Conversion

I finished this one after 7 months in July of last year and this is another one that's got a special place with me. I've shown it at one other place but thought I'd try my luck here as well. This car was my very first car model and I originally built it at 13 years old. It survived all these years to become a "glue bomb" project at the first part of last year. Almost all of the original parts have been used except for the hood, grille and a few other parts here and there. All in all the old build was in decent shape as I'd managed to keep it encased since first building it 35 years. When I left home at age 19 for the Army I left this build and several others behind where it stayed all this time until I finally picked it up from my parents house and put it in my display case here at home where it's spent the last 5 years. When I started on it 7 months ago there was no engine and the interior was.......well ........you know ...........very "Monogram" basic. I had alot of work ahead of me which I found out throughout the course of the re-build. I ended up using a total of five other kits to piece some of the missing pieces together (one of which was a newer Revell Camaro release kit to "update" this old dog of a kit with some of the parts that Monogram had failed to put in their kit) , hood and wheels were donations from good friends here on the forums (thanks be to Dale and Paul). Powertrain/ drive train was from the AMT Chevelle SS396 kit. I ended up spending ALOT of time in the interior as well as the engine compartment. All badging is from PE fret for the Revell Camaro kits and the paint is GM paint code 79U--Mystic Teal Metallic, a paint that was used in the late 90's/ early 2000's on GM vehicles (Camaro's / Firebirds being in that line up). I also opted to transform this into an SS which took a little fancy foot work with the grille but I managed to pull it all off okay plus I got rid of those FREAKIN' DOTS in the middle of the turn signal and headlamp lenses. I'm pretty happy with the results although the kit (as well as me) had it's limitations. lol

The original boxing that I'm sure a number of you here are familiar with:

MucQrG.jpg

The "Before" Shots (as it was when I built it 35 years ago):

RSCN0264_zpscpo4bdzp.jpg

DSCN0260_zpshazuk64n.jpg

DSCN0266_zpseumfg8bj.jpg

DSCN0259_zpsq2e6bs9x.jpg

003_zpsrgh5lhxg.jpg

The Upgraded Shots after the Restoration/ Conversion:

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20006_zpsre7cmwzh

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20003_zpsoday8chw

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20008_zpsqhpg7v2w

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20007_zpscqgwxp7q

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20005_zpskxmvojpy

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20004_zpsb1z7axue

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20002_zpshnknyymx

F100%20Money%20Shots_zpscnuvmdoh.jpg

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20009_zpsiwkvwoau

F100%20Money%20Shots%20002_zpscpttffoo.j

001_zpsbjqaj6y1.jpg

• Like 13

i must admit that I too have been bitten by the 'musclecar-bug' after seeing tv-shows like Overhaulin', Counting cars. Kindig Customs etc and your Camaro certainly fits the bill of a muscle car! :thumbsup:

Well done! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:55 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great-looking restoration of a real beast. 

Thanks Alpha Delta. Beast would definitely describe this kit. Man it was rough.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, Spiny said:

Didn't look that bad before, looks great now

Thanks Spiny

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, HansReggelsen said:

i must admit that I too have been bitten by the 'musclecar-bug' after seeing tv-shows like Overhaulin', Counting cars. Kindig Customs etc and your Camaro certainly fits the bill of a muscle car! :thumbsup:

Well done! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

'Preciate that Hans. Recently I got bit by the bug in real life which would explain my absence from forums for a while. I just got through installing a Chevrolet 383 Stroker Motor in my truck. Talk about a wake up call from the stock 350 that was in it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, Tommy124 said:

Now that is what I call improvement - great job on the restoration!

Thanks Tommy.

Took 'er to the show a few months back and got 2nd place. I would've never thought when I was 13 that decades later it would place in a show.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Joe, what are you doing this side of the pond?

Your car looked pretty good before, but your patented technique really makes it a stunner now! When you mentioned the color, I thought you were talking about this, the most 90’s color ever:

spacer.png

I really like your interior touches, custom floor mats and a hot rod magazine really make it look like “the business”.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Joe, what are you doing this side of the pond?

Your car looked pretty good before, but your patented technique really makes it a stunner now! When you mentioned the color, I thought you were talking about this, the most 90’s color ever:

spacer.png

I really like your interior touches, custom floor mats and a hot rod magazine really make it look like “the business”.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Max. I didn't know you were here either. I get over here every once in a while Max. as there's some good modelers on this site. I haven't been hanging out at FSM much these days. I started out over there and migrated out from there once I started finding sites with more talented modelers. I mean, there are a few at FSM but I grow as a modeler better when there are more of them in a given area. This site here seems to have just that and one of the good things is about that is they don't always tell me what I want to hear but what I need to hear in order to become a better model builder.😀

Edited by mustang1989

Yep, joined up because there’s not much action anymore over at FSM. “Back in the day” when I joined, it was a hoppin’ site, but now, well let’s just say it’s changed over the years. 

Glad to see you sharing your skills over here! 

• Like 1

Fantastic job, mustang. The only built kit I have from my youth is a 1/43 scale Renwal Mercer. Why that particular one has followed me around all this time I don’t know, but you’ve inspired me to clean it up!

Fantastic job, mustang. The only built kit I have from my youth is a 1/43 scale Renwal Mercer. Why that particular one has followed me around all this time I don’t know, but you’ve inspired me to clean it up!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...