Canberra T11 to BMk 2

72modeler

After looking at a Canberra T11 photo and reading that they were modified from BMk 2 airframes, what would need to be done to convert a T11 back to a BMk 2? To my untrained eye, it looks like exchanging the T11 nose section for the BMk 2 nose would be the main physical difference. What else might I need to address? Same wheels as the B2? Same engine intakes, exhausts, and Coffman starter ports? Seeing an announcement for the 1/72 AMP Canberra T11 future release got me to thinking...if the kit is a decent one, that is. I do have two of the original Airfix B2's I have been hoarding, as well as an Aeroclub vac nose section and clear nosecap. Any thoughts? Of course, the Laws of Modeling being what they are, as soon as I attempt a conversion, two new-tool state of the art kits will be released! @canberra kid

Mike

Hi Mike

In kit form all is as you say Mike, in reality the T.11 and T.19 should have a windbrake in front of the crew door and chaff dispensers in the bomb bay doors which from what I've seen on the CAD renderings of the model are missing, which is fine for the Tp.52 though. As you say it has the wrong wheels too. The fuselage is a scale foot short a lot of the detail on the wings is suspect too and the wing plan is iffy, having said that it looks very Canberra like when built. I guess it all boils down to what you want from your model. By the way I'm going to the post office tomorrow, ;)

John   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But why not just obtain the base S&M Canberra B.2 kit if this is the version you are after? 

Unless I’m mistaken, aren’t all these ‘new tool’ Canberra kits all based on the same new Mikro Mir moulds? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

Yeah, the basic question doesn't quite make sense to me Mike, the new AMP T.11 kit is based on the existing S&M B.2 and T.4 kit.

So far the renderings don't show panel lines for the T.11 windbreak door, so you won't have to delete that, and it sounds like the mainwheels will be corrected.

I don't know whether the original bomber nose is still included in the new boxes for the T.11 and T.17.

The kit itself seems to have mixed reviews, but some of the builds on this forum do look very good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John, James, and Dave,

Thanks for your comments and opinions, which I value a lot. I wasn't aware the AMP kits are based on the S&M kits, but they look to be twice the cost as the AMP release, at least as currently displayed on the Big H site. I guess I will wait until the AMP T11 is released and we get to see sprue shots before I part company with my modeling money. Airfix could save us a lot of grief and fatten up their coffers if they could just give the world an accurate BMk 2...I'm just sayin'!

Mike

John- you are too generous, sir! I owe you, big-time!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I wasn't aware the AMP kits are based on the S&M kits, but they look to be twice the cost as the AMP release, at least as currently displayed on the Big H site.

I hadn't realised that!

In that case I would say wait for the forthcoming TT.18 boxing as that is literally a B.2 with underwing towing pods.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

All good Mike, I wasn’t aware of the large price difference between the two, so I understand where your coming from. Seems a little strange for this to be, but stranger things have happened. James’ call to wait for the. TT.18 then makes perfect sense. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

All good Mike, I wasn’t aware of the large price difference between the two, so I understand where your coming from. Seems a little strange for this to be, but stranger things have happened. James’ call to wait for the. TT.18 then makes perfect sense. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Yep- H wants $58 USD for the S&M B2 and $38 for the AMP T11

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1