Aircraft Display Stands

Uncle Pete

Returning to the hobby after 40-odd years I found they're not putting display stands in the kits any more.  When an Airfix Mozzie beat me in the undercarriage dept I needed one and scoured the abode for suitable raw material.  I noticed a Sun Pat peanut butter lid is about the size of a hockey puck, nicely rounded on top and easy to drill.  A lick of paint gave it a nice finish and a clear biro barrel hot-glued in (big glob of glue to stabilise it a bit) provided the upright.  No mucking about with carving, routing or sanding and it shows off the kite rather well.  I reckon if you were to stick a couple of ounces of lead inside it would quite happily hold a 1/72 heavy bomber.  Don't know if this is old news of a common technique but I thought I'd share it just in case I've stumbled on a new idea.

• Like 5

Nice idea. Office paper spikes can be used in a similar way.

Another food container trick I've recently tried is with Aldi yogurt pot tops!! Here's one I made earlier...

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

The wood effect is burnt umber oil paint wiped around the base after it had an orange undercoat. Different oils over different bases give different wood effects.

The tarmac the plane is sitting on is a bit of 600 wet and dry paper cut out with an Olfa Circle Cutter.

Do I get  a Blue Peter Badge?

Tony.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Returning to the hobby after 40-odd years I found they're not putting display stands in the kits any more.  When an Airfix Mozzie beat me in the undercarriage dept I needed one and scoured the abode for suitable raw material.  I noticed a Sun Pat peanut butter lid is about the size of a hockey puck, nicely rounded on top and easy to drill.  A lick of paint gave it a nice finish and a clear biro barrel hot-glued in (big glob of glue to stabilise it a bit) provided the upright.  No mucking about with carving, routing or sanding and it shows off the kite rather well.  I reckon if you were to stick a couple of ounces of lead inside it would quite happily hold a 1/72 heavy bomber.  Don't know if this is old news of a common technique but I thought I'd share it just in case I've stumbled on a new idea.

Photos would be good, Pete.

9 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I'd love to but neither of my laptops will cooperate with Flickr and my iPhone says, "No".  Been trying to get the Mozzie- on-the-stand in question onto the Ready For Inspection page for weeks.  I think maybe I don't have enough steam pressure in the main boilers of my computers.

1 hour ago, Uncle Pete said:

I'd love to but neither of my laptops will cooperate with Flickr and my iPhone says, "No".  Been trying to get the Mozzie- on-the-stand in question onto the Ready For Inspection page for weeks.  I think maybe I don't have enough steam pressure in the main boilers of my computers.

Postimage works well for me, a very easy to use storage site.

Tony.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

Postimage works well for me

Just gave it a whack... Nada.  Thanks anyway... At this point I'm pretty sure it's pilot error.  I must be doing something so boneheadedly glaringly obviously wrong that I've missed it completely.

5 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

I'd love to but neither of my laptops will cooperate with Flickr and my iPhone says, "No".

I’ve put a guide to using the iPhone Flickr app on this thread (Page 3). I’d be keen to know if it works for you.

3 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

@Avereda  Just tried that, thanks... Still just gives me the finger.  Url goes pink then just sits there.  Probably some point of GIGO that I'm not seeing... I ain't exactly Steve Jobs

Hmm, I think this should be resolvable. It shouldn’t really require the cyber-intellect of a Steve Jobs - I’ll ping you a message and see if we can sort it out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Avereda said:

I’ll ping you a message and see if we can sort it out.

Thanks, mate, but it's not really worth the trouble... You're not ever going to miss the build of the year from me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 8:43 PM, Vinnie said:

The system seems to be letting me in finally!  The plane, while good by my standards, is not much cop, I know, but the pic shows the stand off rather nicely

Mozzie 15

Mozzie 14

Edited by Uncle Pete
  • Like 1