Zvezda 1/35 German Motorcycle R-12 with sidecar and crew

Sairou

2owU04y.jpg

Decent little kit that should be ready to paint soon- I need to paint and assemble some sub assemblies before I can get on with making the two crew figures. 

• Like 3

dYsxD0Y.jpg

First, the engine must be painted. Although there were some rough and hard-to clean up mouldlines on this, especially in the grilles, it's quite nicely detailed.

Lz9EALY.jpg

After basecoating the engine, acrylic washes have created shadow, dirt, grime, grease, etc. For these I used Army Painter's line of washes, like 'Dark tone' and 'Strong tone'.

KqAWTK1.jpg

While I was at it, I started to paint some of the stowage pieces. I'm still not sure how to paint the straps on this piece. Apologies for an out-of-focus photo.

• Like 2

50amh0e.jpg

EMPhGQR.jpg

Finally managed to get everything basecoated, assembled and gloss varnished. Next is decalling, then a pin wash, then I'll see what I want to do from there. I've been finding this very fiddly indeed.

• Like 1

That engine looks very good.  Look forward to seeing model completed.   I have built a few of the Zveda tanks intended for wargames and was very impressed with the overall quality for what they cost.  I just have them really as office ornaments.   I must get a Zveda kit in a larger scale.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

That engine looks very good.  Look forward to seeing model completed.   I have built a few of the Zveda tanks intended for wargames and was very impressed with the overall quality for what they cost.  I just have them really as office ornaments.   I must get a Zveda kit in a larger scale.

Zvezda are definitely getting better. My only gripe with this kit was the clean-up required on some parts, and the flash, but other than that it was a quick and fun build, even if it was fiddly. However, I get the impression that some of the older Zvezda kits are real dogs to build, although if you like to get a poorer kit up to scratch, and a very inexpensive kit at that, go for it. Their 1/35 tanks seem decent.

16 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Zvezda are definitely getting better. My only gripe with this kit was the clean-up required on some parts, and the flash, but other than that it was a quick and fun build, even if it was fiddly. However, I get the impression that some of the older Zvezda kits are real dogs to build, although if you like to get a poorer kit up to scratch, and a very inexpensive kit at that, go for it. Their 1/35 tanks seem decent.

aVJoN13.jpg

SgQJltQ.jpg

Decals are on, can't seem to get a good photo with this glossy finish.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Wow, that looks impressive and small.  With my 4 thumbs and bifocals might be a tough build though.

Can you get something like this in 1/16 or even 1/8 scale so I can try it? :lol::lol:

Take care,

Lloyd

Yes, you can- but it will cost you a pretty penny.

This kit has been a bit of a nightmare in terms of fiddiliness. I have had to glue on various parts multiple times, and I seem to be prone to crushing some kind of delicate assembly every time I handle it. That said, I do want to build a Kettenkrad at some point... Hoping to pick up an old tamiya one on the cheap at a model shop.

I'm saving my sheckles for that Trumpeter 1/16 Panther G and I still haven't received that 1/16 Jagdtiger that I ordered back in September.

Of course I've had the money set aside for it since Sept but If I didn't have the bucks then the thing would be here already.  Maybe I should spend

it and then the kit would show up:lol:

Go ahead with the kettenkrad, the Tamiya kit will be easier to build, maybe not as detailed but easier.

TAke care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

fUgNM1f.jpg

xQH4Dd1.jpg

Sprayed a few coats of matte varnish. I'm getting to grips with Lucky Varnish- the trick seems to be light coats applied briskly, left to dry, then repeat. In this case, I have a few areas where dust got caught under the varnish, or I used a little too much in one coat. Nothing a bit of weathering won't cover- I'm already going to be covering up the botched front wheel hubs.

xqtQGSh.jpg

I haven't given weathering much thought- I have plenty of photos showing dusty/muddy machines, but may use contempt images of motorcycle weathering to make sure all the mud is in the right places. Of course, the figures also need to be painted.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Looking good.  I might be able to handle the motorcycle part but the figures....uhuh, mine always look like clown faces.

You are going to tone down that canvas thingey, right?

Lloyd

I'll try my best on the figures, field grey can't be too hard, right?

The canvas is going to get a coat of ultramatt varnish, and will be weathered with the rest of the bike- lots of dust will have settled on top of it (Oils will be my weapon of choice I think)

Excellent mini-work, I'm sorry I did not see it (it will be because of how small it is ... lol), i know it well, because about 25 years ago I made a BMW of Italeri, and for the time it was not bad, but obviously, your work exceeds that of so long ago. Very cool :yes:

Cheers Sairou :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm impressed !!

I found the Esci/Italeri BMWs with/without sidecar, solo Zundapp & solo Harley WL fiddly enough in 1/9, so I'm super impressed with this example in 1/35.

Still got the 1/9  Esci/Dragon Kettenkrad lurking at the bottom of the stash.....must get it out and fondle some plastic, although the kit critics don't rate it.

We'll see........

Rog

• Like 1