Hawker Henley TT

JOCKNEY

Good evening

Having recently rediscovered my 1/72 Formaplane Hawker Henley TT, can I ask if anyone has any information about them to help me build it and can anyone give me an idea where to get a canopy for it. The vacformed canopy can only be described as an amorphous blob !

many thanks Pat

IMG_3816

IMG_3817

• Like 3

Pat, nice model! The canopy is not just a bulb but if you do not like it you can do canopy by your own. One methos is to do a form (stamp) of wood and press it. Second is to do negative form of silicon ad form your own vacu (that I never tried). Third is find some similar canopy - cut and glue, than polish to get desired shape... . 

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

The vacformed canopy can only be described as an amorphous blob !

Hmm, that could almost be applied to the aeroplane in general, or at least the fuselage...

Still, it would be a nifty thing to have in 1/48.

• Like 1

Hi

I have one currently stalled, i was  going to use some hurricane donor parts, apparently outer wings are the same as a hurricane and a few other parts are similar

cheers

jerry

• Like 1

you may find some useful  info in these.

if you googleimage 'Hawker Henley'  you get some useful pics

ah,  the dead link in the above is  here now

https://dingeraviation.net//henley/hawker_henley.htm

From memory the Formaplane canopy lacks framework,  but is a reasonable basic shape.  (kit not too hand so maybe wrong)  have a look at the photos you can  find online and  compare.

henley-3.jpg

airwar.ru has  some good  pics, 

http://airwar.ru/enc/other2/henley.html

and this is of particular note

henley-2.gif

from Flight magazine circa 1939 IIRC, I have a reprint of the article.  This gives an idea of  the internal construction,  which is very typical Hawker tubular framework.

Avaition News did a plan sheet,   and (as mentioned in the links) Airfix Magazine did a conversion using a Hurricane many years ago, which is not that helpful.

I don't think there are many Hurricane bits you can  use,  the wheels  look more like the ones fitted to the Typhoon  to me.

Still not got around to  was taking the time to go  to Hendon to photocopy the manual.....

HTH

• Like 2

Thought I had a photo of the Formaplane kit I nearly finished back in 1986 but couldn't find it.  From memory it was still in gloss but had decals applied so maybe got up to matting it down but then life got in the way .....  

Also jolting the memory was the plastic - very strange feel to it and when sanding the main parts from the sheet i didn't notice that the line I was sanding to was self forming so my fuselage parts ended up being a bit skinny.  I think I tried to fix it a bit by card spacing and filling but can't recall if I eventually got it to match the plans or not.  

I used the vacuform canopy but added the framing from very thin card and painting.  

Also there was an article with some good photos in this : 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hope this helps.

I think Henley had  outer parts of wings taken 1:1 from Hurricane. And that is all common for them.

Regarding canopy - there is other trick, well konwn of course. Insted of doing frames from thin card do them from a decal. But to improve ashesion canopy should be painted with acrylic gloss valnish (diluted) and the decal should be painted twice - first in colour you would lile to see as inside frame colour and then the outside one. It is good to soft decals and not to cross strips - the crossings will be thicker and it does not look good...

Regards

J-W.

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I don't think there are many Hurricane bits you can  use,  the wheels  look more like the ones fitted to the Typhoon  to me.

or, the oversize ones that come with the Airfix fabric wing Hurricane kit look about right....

1 hour ago, JWM said:

I think Henley had  outer parts of wings taken 1:1 from Hurricane. And that is all common for them.

they were builton the same jigs,  but lacked the gun bays,   as can be seen here

henley-3.jpg

interestingly a section of wing is one of the surviving bits....
https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?117262-Hawker-Henley

To get the ball rolling the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton have this wing section on display.

attachment.php?s=c2723ce91100b588d62fea2

now where did I put that Formaplane vac......

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JWM said:

What a strange roundel is on this Flixton museum wing of Henley!

looks like  the wing was originally black/yellow uppers with a large roundel in pre-war colours,  which was then repainted in dark green/dark earth with a smaller roundel in wartime dull blue and red.

another shot of the wing here

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Hawker Henley III

cheers

T

• Like 3

The Magna kit did come with a spare, trouble is I sold mine with a Formaplane kit that lacked a canopy and now the one I have left has yellowed so if anyone finds a source of canopies please let me know as the kit is at the masking stage but, obviously, stalled.

11 hours ago, rossm said:

The Magna kit did come with a spare, trouble is I sold mine with a Formaplane kit that lacked a canopy and now the one I have left has yellowed so if anyone finds a source of canopies please let me know as the kit is at the masking stage but, obviously, stalled.

Hi Ross

Im really sorry to hear that, I can only imagine the language on discovering the yellowed canopy ! :rant:

If I manage to find some canopies I promise to let you know.

cheers Pat

12 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Ross

Im really sorry to hear that, I can only imagine the language on discovering the yellowed canopy ! :rant:

If I manage to find some canopies I promise to let you know.

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat, fingers crossed!

I have small file on the Henley I will try and dig it out tomorrow and see if there is anything in it that will help.

Martian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, so I was dragged, very much against my will, to a real ale festival this morning so dragging the file out might have to wait till tomorrow! :pardon:

Squiffy of Mars

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

OK, so I was dragged, very much against my will, to a real ale festival this morning so dragging the file out might have to wait till tomorrow! :pardon:

Squiffy of Mars

Such will power ! 

I imagine the only dragging involved was getting you to leave ! :drink:

cheers Pat :cheers:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Such will power ! 

I imagine the only dragging involved was getting you to leave ! :drink:

cheers Pat :cheers:

Eat your heart out Mystic Meg!

Martian the Fragile

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Eat your heart out Mystic Meg!

Martian the Fragile

As a Cockney living in Scotland, I've been called a lot worse !

But enough about Mrs Jockney :rofl:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update on all things Henley, no not the regatta !

Thanks to a wonderful fellow BM member I am now the proud owner of this

IMG_3851

This provides the perfect opportunity to compare the Vacform and Resin parts to that of the Airfix Hurricane. 

As you look look at the picture, left wing Formaplane vacform, right wing (white) Magna Resin, finally ring wing grey, Airfix Hurricane.

IMG_3850

Now of course the dilemma of dropping the vacform Build to do the Resin one ? The advantage of course would be to get a certain Aussie off my back in the form of Mr Trickyrich ! Who I'm certain has a Resin fetish 

cheers Pat

• Like 4