Aifix Spitfire Mk1a. 1/72

I had already built this model as one of Airfix's starter kits ( it can be seen as a previous RFI). I donated that model to some elderly relatives who had an association with Longbridge during the war when Spitfires were being built there, you would have thought I had given them the Crown Jewels. So rewarding that someone is getting so much pleasure from one of my models.

This left a place in my Air Force for another Spitfire so when I saw the Daily Mail's £1 offer I snapped it up. It is undoubtedly the same model but the decal sheet was less comprehensive, no wing walkway lines or trestle positions. Like a previous contributor to this forum the over-sized squadron and aircraft identification letters rankled me, so after  visit to the spares box  a different if fictitious aircraft was born.  

An apology to the purist then, I think the squadron identification is correct, the aircraft with that identification must have existed but the serial number and spinner colour are straight from my imagination. consequently I describe this Spitfire as being one that is representative of an aircraft that flew in the Battle of Britain.

As usual all comments and criticisms will be accepted with the same good grace as they are undoubtedly given.  

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 23

Lovely finish. What paints did you use and, if you don't mind my asking, why did you choose that spinner colour? Great little kit...I bagged 3 and will be doing the last of those in pink (if for no other reason than it will amuse the children!).

2 minutes ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Lovely finish. What paints did you use and, if you don't mind my asking, why did you choose that spinner colour? Great little kit...I bagged 3 and will be doing the last of those in pink (if for no other reason than it will amuse the children!).

Hi Newbie, the paints are Tamiya acrylics I use an airbrush and have used them since I returned to the hobby. No particular reason for the spinner colour, I use an app called 'Pinterest', requested images of B of B Spitfires and that was one of the colours used (apparently).

Looks great for a quid. I'm curently building the same one but have gone for the black and white underside, not sure if the decals are appropriate for it but if it turns out like yours I'll be more than happy

I wouldn't sweat the "fictitious" nature of your Spitfire... Far as I'm concerned, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck it's a fair bet you've got an example of Anas Platyrhynchos Domesticus on your hands.  Or, as we say in the wilds of Shepherds Bush,... Nice Spit, bruv!

• Like 1

A excellent paint finish with nice, subtle weathering.  I managed to pick up two of these Daily Mail Spits. You're not far off the mark with regards to authenticity. In case you're interested the code QV was for 19 Squadron which did indeed fly Spitfire Mk Is during 1940.  Most from that period would have had a black spinner although the unit's commander, Squadron Leader Brian Lane, had his painted yellow.  That particular aircraft was coded QV-K, serial P9386.  19 Squadron was also the unit of one of the Battle's most successful Spitfire pilots, Flt Sgt George 'Grumpy' Unwin, who claimed 13 and two shared victories.  After surviving the Battle, including a dip in the Channel, he was deemed too old for front line ops (at the ripe old age of 27!) and spent the rest of the War as an instructor. 

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Another great example of Airfix's little gem. Love this one.

What paints did you use for the Dark Earth and Dark Green?

Cheers

Terry

Hi Terry, thanks, the paints were all Tamiya acrylics. XF 21-Sky,

XF 52- Flat earth and XF 81-Dark green 2 (RAF).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

A excellent paint finish with nice, subtle weathering.  I managed to pick up two of these Daily Mail Spits. You're not far off the mark with regards to authenticity. In case you're interested the code QV was for 19 Squadron which did indeed fly Spitfire Mk Is during 1940.  Most from that period would have had a black spinner although the unit's commander, Squadron Leader Brian Lane, had his painted yellow.  That particular aircraft was coded QV-K, serial P9386.  19 Squadron was also the unit of one of the Battle's most successful Spitfire pilots, Flt Sgt George 'Grumpy' Unwin, who claimed 13 and two shared victories.  After surviving the Battle, including a dip in the Channel, he was deemed too old for front line ops (at the ripe old age of 27!) and spent the rest of the War as an instructor. 

Thanks for the info. 

9 minutes ago, Telboy3510 said:

Hi Terry, thanks, the paints were all Tamiya acrylics. XF 21-Sky,

XF 52- Flat earth and XF 81-Dark green 2 (RAF).

They look really good. I'm finding Tamiya Acrylics work really well for me.