Aoshima or IMAI thunderbird 5?

Hi all.

I am looking at buying a thunderbird 5 kit.

I have seen two i'm interested in, either the Aoshima one, or the IMAI one,

has anyone on here built on, and is there any difference? looking online it seems the IMAI one is an older version of the Aoshima one?

best regards

Dan

Haven't built either but I'd say @Kallisti (and others) will give you a good steer. 

You could also try www.Scalemates.com as they'll give you goodmdetails of release years for kits and whether they're new issues, re-tools, re-boxings etc.

And there's also the great Sci-Fi review section here on Britmodeller of course! :yes:

Whatever you choose to build, look forward to seeing it here and keen to build one myself at some stage.

Cheers,

Dermot

I've never really been interested in a TB5 kit to be honest so haven't compared them. The old TB5 just bored me, it didn't do anything :) The new one however is quite adaptable and has a rotating habitat to create artificial 'gravity'. 

Always loved TB5, dunno why just do.

It isn't quite true that Imai and Aoshima TB5 kits are the same kit.

When Aoshima acquired the moulds they replaced some of the sprues with newly tooled ones. From memory the parts replaced include a corrugated gravity ring (the original was smooth)  they also moulded a finer more accurate radar mast/pylon as well as  the other ariels, appendages and other assorted smaller detail parts as well.

It also includes a discreet mechanism to allow TB5 rotate slowly if one buys the Mabuchi  FA-130RA motor which cost about a £1.

This is the version you need:

413826010.jpg

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

• 3 weeks later...

Funnily enough my Imai kit has the corrugated ring and finer aerials etc ....so it looks like IMAI corrected their own molds ( you're 100 % correct that earlier Imai editions  had a smooth ring and clunky aerials tho....just been looking thro my book on thunderbirds kits . ) The shape of TB 3 in my Imai is very off....do you know if the Aoshima version fixed that ?

On 4/10/2018 at 05:43, Neil Lambess said:

Funnily enough my Imai kit has the corrugated ring and finer aerials etc ....so it looks like IMAI corrected their own molds ( you're 100 % correct that earlier Imai editions  had a smooth ring and clunky aerials tho....just been looking thro my book on thunderbirds kits . ) The shape of TB 3 in my Imai is very off....do you know if the Aoshima version fixed that ?

No they did not fix the TB3 in the kit.

I dug my kits out the other day, the Aoshima kit has five new sprues of the Imai kit. But still retains the blue glazing for some reason.

Thomo