What is the plane behind Peter Weston’s Brigand in Habbaniya 1949?

28ZComeback

There are 2 Hastings? And one in the eye for Harold..I know the 1066 version, wheres the other

• Haha 1

Yeah, definitely a Hastings.

Took me a bit. When he sent the photo I just assumed it was a C-47 without much thought. But upon this post had to reconsider that. Took a while to sort through which transports of the era had tail wheels before I came to the Valleta, which was too tubby, no offense Vickers, and landed on the Hastings. Nice its in the same paint scheme as that museum example.

I will add this info to the site. Thanks.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

what were they thinking about?

I remember, bet you do too that just about every station including Farnborough and Bosc. Down had a Hastings on the Fire Dump  in the late 60s, seem to remember all the ones I saw were around serial TG518. I saw around 10 on an airfield/airport/air base/'plane factory road trip over 4 days in summer of 68.

• Sad 1

Hastings , spot on lads ! . I flew Egypt to Malta in one in `53 and Malta to Lyneham in another in `54 , I have a photo of the

second one with the code JAD , which made his R/T callsign Mike Oboe Jig Able Dog , (if anyone is interested ) .

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Don149 said:

Hastings , spot on lads ! . I flew Egypt to Malta in one in `53 and Malta to Lyneham in another in `54 , I have a photo of the

second one with the code JAD , which made his R/T callsign Mike Oboe Jig Able Dog , (if anyone is interested ) .

Cripes Don, that's prehistoric, my historic anyway, I hadn't been made then & I'm only a couple of years off retirement, I do envy you guys those memories. I did once see a RNZAF one fly over as a wee chap but that is as close as I get to one.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Thanks for joining here, just out of interest is there a better or clearer image of that photo at all?

Thanks for having me. As for a better image, I am afraid not. Peter sent me that via 1990s email, after scanning via 1990 scanners. That is as good as it gets.

But as it is the same type as that museum example and in the same scheme I think you get a far better idea than one could otherwise hope for.

11 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

Thank you all for the replies!  And if you are reading this, thank you Peter Weston for your service and sacrifice! 

Unfortunately Peter is no longer with us other than in spirit. The groups appreciation of his photo, however, is something I am sure he appreciates.

4 hours ago, perdu said:

:)

I have two in my cadet's flying log book TG607 and WD485, sadly neither seem to have been preserved

I'm quite miffed about that, what were they thinking about?  :(

1 hour ago, Don149 said:

I sense a service yarn or two to be had from the membership. If anyone wants to share their service stories to be posted to my website (the one Peter's photos and story is on) and eventually in a book compilation, by all means feel free to share. Any time period, any type of service, peace war, front rear training family or home front, all of interest. My email is on the site, but I will add it here too. If that violates a rule here by any chance please delete it with prejudice mods. It is - [email protected]

Thanks

• Like 1

Fond memories of the Hastings at Dishforth when I used to travel up the A1 with my parents. I was delighted when Mel kitted it, hence my offering in RFI.

A chap approached me at Southern Expo. He has just written a book about it and was drooling over my model. He said they were very underrated as an aircraft.

9 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Fond memories of the Hastings at Dishforth when I used to travel up the A1 with my parents. I was delighted when Mel kitted it, hence my offering in RFI.

A chap approached me at Southern Expo. He has just written a book about it and was drooling over my model. He said they were very underrated as an aircraft.

Was that this years expo? Did the weather affect attendance numbers?. Really hacked off after waiting all year just for two days of snow. It may have been possible to drive up but the weather warning stretched from where I live in east Kent right up to London! 

52 minutes ago, Britman said:

Was that this years expo? Did the weather affect attendance numbers?. Really hacked off after waiting all year just for two days of snow. It may have been possible to drive up but the weather warning stretched from where I live in east Kent right up to London! 

Expo was OK, we had a table, West Kent had a table, and the weather was cold with light snow, but the roads were good. Footfall was down, and the heating wasn't on, despite complaints by the organisers, Many people enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Hi Stevehnz , I have a photo of a RNZAF Hastings taken at Luqa , Malta in early `54 . Wish I knew how to post it ! .

I don`t know why it came all that way , unless it was to visit the "neighbours" . There was an Aussie Vampire

squadron at Ta Kali.

Don .

2 hours ago, Don149 said:

Hi Stevehnz , I have a photo of a RNZAF Hastings taken at Luqa , Malta in early `54 . Wish I knew how to post it ! .

I don`t know why it came all that way , unless it was to visit the "neighbours" . There was an Aussie Vampire

squadron at Ta Kali.

Don .

Hi Don, I'd like to see that, if I was to PM my email address to you, you could send it to me as an attachement as long as you've got a scan of it, I'll post it on here then through my Flickr account, that's if you don't want to go to the hassle of doing similar.

Steve.

Hi Steve , I don`t have the equipment to scan so my son is doing it . I`ll get back to you .

Don .

• Like 1