1/48 F/A-18F, VFA-213, Inherent Resolve 2017. Finished 22/04

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is my entry for this GB - Hasegawa's 1/48 E/A-18G built as an F/A-18F, of VFA-213 'Black Lions' during their 2017 cruise in support of Operation 'Inherent Resolve.' AJ 204, BuNo 166682 dropped 110 bombs during the cruise and was one of the jets seen with the huge payload of 10x GBU-32 JDAMs. So of course I have to load my model with that payload!

I'm using the EA-18G boxing as it comes with the late style ECS pipes already incorporated to the fuselage, which is much better than having to add aftermarket examples.

Kit:

40237824574_53f4574bf0_b.jpg

40946117201_a464329570_b.jpg

Aftermarket:

40946113921_fa0484cfa2_b.jpg

I'll be using an Aires cockpit, Pavla seats, GBU-32s and associated racks from Attack Squadron, Furball decals and Xmold seamless intakes (though I may just opt for Steal Beach intake covers).

Decals:

39136561920_62b0d18e90_b.jpg

40946105851_b4412bb0ba_b.jpg

The decals by Furball are outstanding. The sheet also includes the VFA-87 jet that shot down a Syrian Su-22 in June 2017. I may enter this one to the GB at a later date...

The jet itself:

170624-N-SJ730-143.JPG

170624-N-SJ730-015.JPG

Photos courtesy of Navy.mil.

Been wanting to do this scheme since I first seen the pictures of the 10 JDAMs!

Dave

• Like 12

Glad you could join us Dave....well hopefully a little later.

That model does look really nice, plus it looks like you have some nice extras to go with it as well. Nice decal set as well.

I do hope you can build this one for the GB, it's great to follow your builds, plus 10 JDAM's!! :thumbsup:

great choice - didn't know about that Furball sheet - so that's another buy for me - thanks for the heads up

Definitely following this build (just at the 90 % stage of my VFA-31 Trumpeter Rhino - so way too advanced for this GB)

Sadly I read that a VF-213 jet crashed last week killing both crew Navy jet crashes killing 2

19 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

great choice - didn't know about that Furball sheet - so that's another buy for me - thanks for the heads up

Definitely following this build (just at the 90 % stage of my VFA-31 Trumpeter Rhino - so way too advanced for this GB)

Sadly I read that a VF-213 jet crashed last week killing both crew Navy jet crashes killing 2

The Furball sheet is very good indeed, a lot of great options.

I heard about the crash too, a sad loss.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

A must follow project! 

Thanks mate.

14 hours ago, Stanton said:

Dave,  

If you need pics I can send a few I did photo this jet when I use to work at Oceana....

Thanks Stanton. I'll be sure to drop you a message if I need any close ups.

On 02/04/2018 at 3:02 AM, Stanton said:

If you need pics I can send a few I did photo this jet when I use to work at Oceana....

Stanton, I followed your FLIKR link in the post to see the other VFA-213 pictures - Thank you. You took much better pics than those Brits here who managed to get aboard the GW BUSH last Summer(!?) when she visited the UK. (so "wet" that for good old Health & Safety, we couldn't even get out on the flight deck (in July for ***** sake!)

DaveJL - my Furball Decal Sheet arrived today in post - not for this GB, but I'll definitely be following this build of yours for inspiration :)

Made a very brief start today by completing the ordnance:

41213765932_0a41b25589_b.jpg

The AIM-9s and AIM-120 are from an Academy F-15E kit as they are better detailed than the Hasegawa offerings. The fuel tank requires filler as the join isn't the best. Now, the bombs, if ever there was an exercise in patience, adding 80 pieces of etch to the 10 bombs was it! Glad they're done :lol:

Also built up the BRU racks for the GBUs:

27383777688_d0f5fa4473_b.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 4

A bit more done. Aires cockpit has been painted, detailed and given a light wash. I managed to saw through the floor at the front when removing from the casting block (oops!). The ejection seat will cover this anyway.

41279713731_3e2af7eb78_b.jpg

41279709681_c6d9d22116_b.jpg

Then installed into the upper fuselage. I trimmed a bit too much of the kit plastic off for the front coaming so a touch of filler was needed juts to close up the gaps between the plastic and the resin part:

26407843977_8b159e733f_b.jpg26407839367_bb7757a847_b.jpg

Lower fuselage then added. The fit of the LEX aren't great.

27407056408_208bb000a2_b.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

More done. The BRU racks were added to the necessary pylons and targeting pod assembled:

40425572415_3bef42211a_b.jpg

Tail fins:

41278753642_555562039f_b.jpg

Advanced Crew Station (ACS):

41278745692_9becbcd56e_b.jpg

Forgot to paint the inside of the coaming during assembly :mellow: but corrected now. This ACS comes with the E/A-18G boxings, however you can get aftermarket pieces. I've used Steel Beach examples on my last 2 F/A-18F kits. A good bit of the airframe was done. I've decided to go with the FOD covers and not the seamless intakes, after looking at some of Stanton's pictures linked above, I like the FOD look to break up the grey. Wings and hinges added along with a few other parts. As mentioned earlier, the fit of the LEX isn't great, something I've experienced with the previous 3 Hasegawa Super Bugs i've built. Filler and some wet and dry cures it, not a big job really but could do without it!

40607733824_ce386012e3_b.jpg

26449814467_fe961e7ab7_b.jpg

41278725552_4f3d466512_b.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 6

gee it did require some filler, that type of join is often a failure on lots of models, I had similar and worse issue with a 1/48th MiG-29.

As you said at least the hard part is over, she is coming along nicely.

23 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee it did require some filler, that type of join is often a failure on lots of models, I had similar and worse issue with a 1/48th MiG-29.

As you said at least the hard part is over, she is coming along nicely.

No kit is perfect but for the price these ones go for, i'd expect a bit better! Still, as you say it is a difficult area, thankfully not that big a job to correct. The Hasegawa Harrier was much more of a bugger!

Looks really good so far Dave, nice to see one going so well. 

I see see your using the Aries pit set and Pavla seats, any reason why the additional seats?

I have a couple of Hasegawa Hornets and a Revell pair too, have you built both of these? 

Good luck with the rest of your build, I'll be taking a keen interest. 

The Woo.

2 hours ago, Wafu said:

Looks really good so far Dave, nice to see one going so well. 

I see see your using the Aries pit set and Pavla seats, any reason why the additional seats?

I have a couple of Hasegawa Hornets and a Revell pair too, have you built both of these? 

Good luck with the rest of your build, I'll be taking a keen interest. 

The Woo.

Thanks mate.

The only reason I use separate seats is that i'm not a huge fan of the fiddly etch that is required for the Aires examples! I haven't built a Revell kit but this is my 4th Hasegawa build.

More done today, mainly work on the sub assemblies. All the ordnance has been painted, decals added to the missiles and given a panel wash. One thing i haven't been able to do is add the 3 yellow bands around the nose of the GBU-32s. I've no decals for them and they'd be far too small/fiddly to try and mask (for my ham fists anyway) so i've only painted a single yellow band around the fuse. It's not 100% accurate but will suffice. I've also left a bit of wash on the bombs as from pictures i've seen, that appear to be heavily marked with oil and grime.

41434291461_2dd398401a_b.jpg

41434281621_757018a615_b.jpg

Exhausts and seats are also done:

41391877422_4ff9db21ae_b.jpg

The landing gear and various other small bits have all been painted and weathered accordingly.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 4

loving the detail on this build. I am about to try & airbrush on some yellow bands on some 1/32 GBUs (Mad I hear you say!!!)....

I have a power drill set up vertically, slowish rotation speed and bombs mounted (one at a time) in the adjustable jaws. Clamped at a fixed height, a sheet of card with a very narrow "hole" that I will spray thru onto the rotating bombs......what could go wrong?

(following you "find" of the Furball sheet. I've had minearrive for later use on some 1/48 subjects. In the meantime, I've scaled up some markings to 1/32 to use on my near complete F/A-18E VFA 31 - so a big "thank you" for this thread :) )