Wing Nut Wings Decals

goon

Hi All,

I'm building a WNW kit, and have got to the decalling. I've put on 4 of the crosses on the wings, which were never going to settle down without setting solution. I used Microscale Sol, but it's made a bit of a mess of them. As usual they wrinkled and softened, which I'm used to with other manufacturer's decals, but for the most part they wrinkles have nor disappeared. There are also areas where it looks like they have thinned and spread. The only think I have done different to other decals is apply them over several coats of (new formula) Klear. 

I can save the those that are on, but I've got some very distinctive stripes to apply that I'd rather not give me problems! Is there a setting solution more compatible with WNW / Cartograph decals, or can I get away with not using it. There's no detail for them to have to conform to.

Thanks for any help.

Gareth

Not had a problem with Cartograf decals and microsol, but have found once in position and you have applied the softner not to work the decals too much as they can stretch and wrinkle as you have found out

Position, roll over the decal with a damp cotton bud to get rid of any excess water, check postion and apply the microsol and try to avoid the temptation to use anything to press down on it.

Leave to settle down and dry then repeat as neccesary, if I do want to try a tease it down a little I do it on the second application of the softner and use a soft brush or damp cotton bud, but tend to dab the decal rather than roll over it, which can often stretch the decal out of shape

Hi Colin,

Thanks for replying.

I followed my usual procedure, put decal in to place, roll out excess water, apply Sol, and walk away for the evening to let it 'set'. I'm used to the decal wrinkling during this process, but it always lays down flat again. My WNW decals have stayed wrinkled, but more severely in some places than other. This is why I'm puzzled, I haven't done anything different to the thousands of decals I must have applied in the past. 

I have used the newer formula Klear for the first time. It feels rock hard, but I wonder of the Sol has softened it more than I've seen it do to the older Klear, and the wrinkles in the decals have set in the varnish. I'll do some testing. Thanks Colin.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a concern about the reaction between Klear and Mocrosol. An utter disaster with the Typhoon, made worse when I applied Humbrol matt acrylic varnish.

The result was a complete re-paint and new Techmod transfers, applied over Tamiya gloss varnish. 

I'm going to do some more experiments before I use Klear again. It may be cheap, but....:rage:

On 21-3-2018 at 11:01 PM, colin said:

Not had a problem with Cartograf decals and microsol, but have found once in position and you have applied the softner not to work the decals too much as they can stretch and wrinkle as you have found out

Position, roll over the decal with a damp cotton bud to get rid of any excess water, check postion and apply the microsol and try to avoid the temptation to use anything to press down on it.

Leave to settle down and dry then repeat as neccesary, if I do want to try a tease it down a little I do it on the second application of the softner and use a soft brush or damp cotton bud, but tend to dab the decal rather than roll over it, which can often stretch the decal out of shape

I do it the same way as Colin and use a damp lens cloth to dab which works perfectly for me.

Cheers, Jan

Gent's, at the end of the day Klear is a propriety FLOOR polish.

It's commercial 'big brother' is applied by a rotary electronic 'mop', and can take foot traffic in around 20 minutes after application.

Removal of the polish requires the proprietary stripper and two densities of scouring disc, the most gentle makes 80 grit sandpaper akin to velvet. 

Strikes me the problem is likely the Sol, it's got to be mimicking stripper, but in softening rather than removing.

Unless I imagined it, isn't it WnW who recommend the 'hair dryer' method? Just saying.......

Paul