I'm travelling back to work for my month away tomorrow and am taking these two kits with me.

s-l1600download

I'm leaning towards the Hellcat as the primary build and the Corsair as a stand by. From what I have read and a quick look in the box I believe they are both relatively easy builds but is there anything I should know that might trip me up?

The plan was to paint the Hellcat in the mid war three colour scheme , which I bought the paints for. Now though I'm thinking the early war two colour scheme would be nice. This depends on if Hobby Craft in Aberdeen has something that resembles FS35189 Blue grey. 

Why after four weeks at home to buy stuff do I now realise I need airbrush cleaner, Tamiya tape and more paint? :blush::D

Roger.

If hobbycraft doesn't have anything you *might* be able to get something in models unlimited in inverurie (assuming you have time to get there)....

2 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

If hobbycraft doesn't have anything you *might* be able to get something in models unlimited in inverurie (assuming you have time to get there)....

Thanks, that might be a bit of a push depending what time I get up there but worth knowing for future reference. Some of this trip is going to be spent in dry dock at Fraserburgh, you don't happen to know what paints The Crafty Modeller stock do you?

2 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I've no idea I'm afraid.

If I'm honest I didn't even know that shop existed - how bad is that!! :(

Lol, I don't think it's been open very long. I've just found their Facebook page so I might just send them a message and ask.

I do... :)

I'm just north of Methlick. We're not insured to have customers on the premises (working from home policy, you see), but I'm allowed friends round to visit. Alternatively, my day job is in on the west side of Aberdeen airport fairly close to the new Crowne Plaza hotel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm just north of Methlick. We're not insured to have customers on the premises (working from home policy, you see), but I'm allowed friends round to visit. Alternatively, my day job is in on the west side of Aberdeen airport fairly close to the new Crowne Plaza hotel.

Commission? ;)

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm just north of Methlick. We're not insured to have customers on the premises (working from home policy, you see), but I'm allowed friends round to visit.

I might have a bit of a problem getting to Methlick, however I have a plan. :D

Once we get into Fraserburgh we'll probably be there for about two weeks so if I can't find what I'm looking for I can fire in an order and get it delivered to the shipyard. There's a couple of other modellers on the boat so I'll see if we can combine an order. Cheers.

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Like 1

Have a gander here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/0927/files/USN_USMC_USAAF_USAF_Colours_Chat.pdf?12615897735846300925

It'll be ACUS06 you want for the F6F in 1942 / early 1943 colours (over ACUS05), but we've got matches to all the WW2 USN shades and almost all of the interior colours too. If you drop in to the Crafty shop up in the Broch let me know what the place is like? I haven't been myself. They did email a while ago asking about stocking Colourcoats but I heard nothing back after replying to their mail.

35 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Have a gander here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/0927/files/USN_USMC_USAAF_USAF_Colours_Chat.pdf?12615897735846300925

It'll be ACUS06 you want for the F6F in 1942 / early 1943 colours (over ACUS05), but we've got matches to all the WW2 USN shades and almost all of the interior colours too. If you drop in to the Crafty shop up in the Broch let me know what the place is like? I haven't been myself. They did email a while ago asking about stocking Colourcoats but I heard nothing back after replying to their mail.

Thanks Jamie, Ive been looking on your site and there's loads there to tempt me. I've never used enamels before so need to do a bit of research. For example do I need to use a primer or can I spray directly onto the plastic?

I'll give you a brief after I've been in the shop, hopefully early next week. I'll subtlely ask if they stock Colourcoats, it might jog their memory.

Three hours later... Plan B! :winkgrin:

The plan now is that the Tamiya Corsair will be the main build and I'll paint it with the paints I have.

If I have time I'll make a start on the Hellcat and paint it when I get home Having had a look at the Colourcoats paint on the Sovereign Hobbies site, watched the vid on Youtube and read the reviews I'm keen to give them a try, there'll be an order going in before next leave. :smile: