Video - Painting with acrylic paints using flat brushes

PlaStix

Most people won't have visited my JGSDF Type 10 Tank thread in the 10th Annivesary GB and so won't have seen that I posted a video there showing how I initially paint my models with flat brushes. In this case it shows how I painted the initial coats of acrylic paint on the JGSDF Type 10.

I don't own an airbrush, as I don't have anywhere suitable to use one, so I have learnt a way of painting acrylic paints with flat brushes that works for me. A few people over the years have asked how I acheive the finish I do using flat brushes and I always said - at some point I will make a video - well I have now done that. Please note it is not a tutorial video - more a video of me painting a kit - but some people say they have found some bits to be useful.

It certainly isn't a perfect video. For a start it's a bit too long - I filmed me painting a few bits for over an hour and a half but then had the problem of deciding how and what to edit. I got it down to about 50 minutes - but that is still too long.

Second - the first half suffers from it being the first time I had done a video like this - so you cannot always see what I am doing - the second half - when I'm doing the second coat - is better because I moved the camera nearer having reviewed the first half.

It's a bit too quiet too - it sounds fine on the iPad I recorded it on but seems too quiet on my laptop. If you want to use them - the automatic close captions are not a bad match. Now this may be a good thing so you don't hear me rambling on too much!

If you do decide to watch any of it please make sure you know where the Fast Forward, Mute and Stop buttons are!

If people are interested I will post some videos of how I do some of the other painting and weathering I do.

Finally - my suggestion is just dip in and out - life's to short! ;)

EDIT - The link to the video can now be found at the bottom of my signature below each of my posts.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for making this video Stix. I have to say that it is a brilliant idea to use a kind of dry brushing technique to do the painting and the result does look very convincing. I was also surprised the time it takes to paint the model - airbrushing is certainly faster ;). But it looks you enjoy the task, so keep your great looking brush painted models coming!

Would be great to see more of your techniques explained in future videos.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Good old Revell Aqua. This paint almost sends me totally over the fence to acrylics. If it wasn't for the sheer amount of mixing I need to do for colours, and the fact it is so hard to source here, I would make the transition. If only Humbrol, or Colourcoats, would copy the formula and produce it in their colours...

Edited by sapperastro
  • Thanks 1

On 23/03/2018 at 08:48, Basilisk said:

Thanks for making this video Stix. I have to say that it is a brilliant idea to use a kind of dry brushing technique to do the painting and the result does look very convincing. I was also surprised the time it takes to paint the model - airbrushing is certainly faster ;). But it looks you enjoy the task, so keep your great looking brush painted models coming!

Would be great to see more of your techniques explained in future videos.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter. Thank you very much for your comments. Yes the kind of wet/dry-brushing, or overbrushing, does work quite well for me. It did take a bit of getting used to or right when I first tried it but, generally - if the quality of the paint is right, like with the one I used in the video, the results are fairly consistant. Yes I would imagine it must seem like a long time to actually paint a whole kit using brushes compared to using an airbrush. As I mentioned though, I really enjoy the process and find it very relaxing, as long as the paint is good! This kit probably took about two and half hours to give everything a coat of paint. But it was dry pretty much instantly and I don't usually try to paint everything in one go like I did for this one, so it doesn't usually feel like I'm painting for a particularly long length of time. I did do some filming of me adding some washes and doing the dry brushing over the past weekend so I will hopefully have another video soon - just a matter of editing it. You can, however, see the results of these stages HERE in my current build thread. Thank you again.

5 hours ago, sapperastro said:

Good old Revell Aqua. This paint almost sends me totally over the fence to acrylics. If it wasn't for the sheer amount of mixing I need to do for colours, and the fact it is so hard to source here, I would make the transition. If only Humbrol, or Colourcoats, would copy the formula and produce it in their colours...

Hi sapperastro and thank you for your comments. I totally agree - Revell's Aqua acrylics are fairly consistantly excellent for painting with brushes. Some Humbrol acrylic paints, especially slightly older ones, can be equally good but the more recent ones do seem to have a very oily feel to them and don't brush at all well. Like you say - it is a shame because they do have  a wider range of colours. I must admit I also prefer using acrylic paints rather than enamels because of the quick drying times. Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Stix

18 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Fantastic tutorial Stix,loved watching it...Others like weathering and your aircraft would be brilliant...

Thank you very much Vince. The first video showing some of the initial weathering I do on my kits should, hopefully, be ready by the weekend. And I've got a couple of aircraft builds planned in the near future so I'll see what I can come up with.

18 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

That's excellent, Stix, thank you. It's something I've been meaning to practice, as I can't airbrush in the colder months, which can be a little frustrating. This will help tremendously!

That's very kind of you to say and I hope it proves useful! As I always say - practice on something less important first - scrap or a cheaper kit.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1