Tamiya 1/48 Brewster Buffalo.

stevej60

Hi folk's,my other build for this GB will be Tamiya's Buffalo as a US Navy aircraft aboard the USS long Island,it's an older kit but still look's well.

27053592078_8f5de60a68_b.jpg

The scheme is a bit uninspiring but should be a nice canvass for a bit of weathering.

26052046817_78efd3c2aa_b.jpg

The USS Long Island had an interesting history too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Long_Island_(CVE-1)

• Like 5

You may want to know that the F2A-2's used on Long Island were really F2A-1's that had been completely rebuilt at the Brewster factory.  Given the time peiod, it seems that the cockpit interior was redone like that on the F2A-3, i.e. in Dull Dark Green.

• Like 1

welcome aboard again Steve.

That's a nice choice and you don't normally see a Buffalo done in carrier operations form.

Again, good luck with the build, hope it's an enjoyable one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Good choice of kit and a really great old kit. Hardest part of this kit is the canopy but masking sets are available. 

Thank's Grahame,I hadn't noticed till I put everything back in the box there's a set of canopy mask's in with the decal pack.

9 hours ago, jimmaas said:

You may want to know that the F2A-2's used on Long Island were really F2A-1's that had been completely rebuilt at the Brewster factory.  Given the time peiod, it seems that the cockpit interior was redone like that on the F2A-3, i.e. in Dull Dark Green.

Great info thank's would this be similar to British interior green or a shade darker?

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great info thank's would this be similar to British interior green or a shade darker?

I used I think it was Humbrol 76 on my Buffalo, but some USN machines were natural metal. 

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Grahame,I hadn't noticed till I put everything back in the box there's a set of canopy mask's in with the decal pack.

The problem with the kit canopy masks is that they aren’t pre cut like Eduard or Montex 

Morning folk's, unfortunately my bench is like a production line at the moment but a couple of near completion's should help in a day or two

anyway a bit of progress on the little bufallo,I found after searching google a lone colour photo of a Navy pilot showing new recruit's the

cockpit taken in the States in 1942 and clearly a darker green than I would have thought is present,so my mantra is just make it look busy

which is easy with a Tamiya cockpit painted,drybrushed and kit decal's were used masking tape belt's as usual.

26198379987_80dc3ca680_b.jpg

40175957785_769c92ba54_b.jpg

And last job today glue the fuselage halves,this kit will "fly" together as you would expect fromTamiya only that canopy painting is

worrying me:worry:

26198386787_b42b3912b7_b.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

the cockpit looks great and nice and busy.

Cheer's Rich Tamiya alway's give youagreat starting point busy enough OOB if super detailing's not your thing.

Morning folk's couple of hour's over the last two morning's I decided to concentrate on this one,wing's assembled interior painted and 

fitted the control  column.

41111982541_4724cbf167_b.jpg

Engine painted and a wash added.

41068761432_a2f109e99e_b.jpg

• Like 6

!I think I see the little formation lights (topside of wing, outer panel).  These should be removed and sanded down, they did not appear on the British version (did on the Dutch and USN variants, though).  Also, you can extend the interior green to the rear decking, liferaft container and rollover pylon.  Looking good

EDIT  Whoops - forgot you're doing a USN version, so leave the formation lights!  Sorry!

Edited by jimmaas
Not enough coffee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

I've just twigged how your production rate has gone through the roof, you're in the loft now so don't have to clear away after every sesh,  crack on!

Spot on Dave,I keep it tidy but as you say no tidying up after every session so especially on a morning I can pop up and down when time permit's.

Hi folk's as Rich said ready for paint,I used MR Colour again as Ilike the semi gloss range used previously,I have no patience with those

Tamiya mask's as each need's to be cut so I'll hand paint the canopy,used the one not needed toprotect the interior painting.

27377112588_d63746c8fd_b.jpg

• Like 5

Poor old Bufallo has been sat neglected for a while so gave her another couple of thin coat's of Mr Colour gray and this morning ran a thinned wash just to break

up the monotone finish I don't want to go overboard as these Training aircraft although out in the Atlantic would't I suppose be left too shabby.

40600779544_5fa26909bc_b.jpg

• Like 8

Hi folk's coming on a treat now, as you can see up on her feet and blu tacked the prop on to show progress I'm painting the tri-colour prop tip's

rather than the decal's supplied.

40664236725_302480b448_b.jpg

• Like 8