Revell (Matchbox) Hawker Fury Mk.I 1/72

Having seen this for real, I can only say that I'd be proud to call it mine. It's a lovely little thing and looks just right and the base sets it off a treat.

Very nice work.

Dave

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

tI am puzzled by your built. I followed your work-in-progress with this kit and you amazed me with some of your techniques applied here.

I must emphasize the excellent windscreen and telescopic gun sight among many great details.

On the other hand, while showing such exquisite skills you made the holes for exhaust pretty unevenly and most of all, if my eyes are not lying to me,

what bothers me the most is misalignment of undercarriage which pushed the wings out of order in relation to surface.

How is that possible after all the tremendous effort you invested here?

The holes for the exhaust are slightly uneven when viewed close up with a magnifying glass, or via a macro photograph, which is how I presented the shots in the WIP (see below which is about 18mm actual size), which of course enlarges the image approximately 10 or 12 times, so all flaws are exposed. I don't mind as that's what WIPs are all about.

IMG_2056.jpg

I would be the first to state that they are not perfect, which I said at page 1 on the build thread: "...not Eduard or Quickboost aftermarket perfection, but I think offers a little more depth and exhaust like looking than the original." And given the tolerances I am working at - circa 1mm to 1.75mm - and using broaches as I haven't seen files on sale that small I don't think they are too bad, and acceptable at this scale.

The undercarriage is not misaligned. I can understand why you think it is though (one post on the build thread asked me about alignment at the time). I use an IPhone to take the pictures so you can get some parallax shift or slight distortion which can make things look askew. Whereas if I used a TTL camera, or a camera better than an Iphone then I would avoid this. Of course you will have to take my word for it, unless you visit Telford where it will be on display and you can judge for yourself. The Birmingham IPMS club members have seen it for real, and they would be the first to highlight any such flaw. 

• Like 3

Marko,

As I said in an earlier post, I have seen this model for real and the perceived "flaws" aren't apparent with the normal Mark One Eyeball. If we use a much magnified image any tiny discrepancy becomes obvious but we don't (normally!) study models with a magnifying glass.

I've been modelling for well over 60 years and viewed thousands of models, many to top competition standards and I've seen some wonderful builds but I've yet to see the perfect model. Of course you'll now produce one and astound me!

This is a lovely little model and one that I wished I'd made myself. You should take a look.

Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well you took you’re time Tom :whistle:  Oh - hang on - you posted it in March......:blush:

The other haven’t left any superlatives unused for me to be original with :(

It’ll have to suffice to say it’s a mini work of art and I forgive you for the Peters and Lee earworm..........

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
33 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I keep coming back to this build and thinking I'd like to emulate it. Not sure my skills are anywhere near good enough yet.....

This is one of my all time favourite builds too.

I had the great pleasure of seeing it at Telford, one of the main highlights of a very memorable event, and I even got to shake Tomo's hand in congratulations!

The photos here are wonderful, but do fail to capture the true delicacy of the build, it's tiny, but so full of subtle details all set off with the yellow spine and metal nose - a masterpiece.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I had the great pleasure of seeing it at Telford, one of the main highlights of a very memorable event, and I even got to shake Tomo's hand in congratulations!

The photos here are wonderful, but do fail to capture the true delicacy of the build, it's tiny, but so full of subtle details all set off with the yellow spine and metal nose - a masterpiece.

It's so easy, looking at the photos, to forget the scale of the model. It could so easily be so much larger: the details are incredibly refined for any scale, yet to then remember that this is in 1/72 is mind-boggling.

I would very much like to have seen in the flesh! A privilege, I'm sure. And to be able to voice your appreciation to Tomo, as well.

It is indeed a masterpiece, a work of art.

• Like 3

On 2/20/2021 at 9:34 PM, 2996 Victor said:

I keep coming back to this build and thinking I'd like to emulate it. Not sure my skills are anywhere near good enough yet.....

On 2/20/2021 at 10:07 PM, Cookenbacher said:

On 2/21/2021 at 9:33 AM, 2996 Victor said:

It's so easy, looking at the photos, to forget the scale of the model. It could so easily be so much larger: the details are incredibly refined for any scale, yet to then remember that this is in 1/72 is mind-boggling.

I would very much like to have seen in the flesh! A privilege, I'm sure. And to be able to voice your appreciation to Tomo, as well.

It is indeed a masterpiece, a work of art.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:19 AM, beastieboy said:

Absolutely stunning

Thanks for your comments gents, a blast from the past. It won gold in its class at Telford, so I was duly rewarded for my efforts.

It was a pleasure to meet you Cookie, and Procopius and Navy Bird too.

Victor. Give it a go mate. Hopefully if Telford goes ahead this year in November, it will be on display at the Birmingham IPMS stand Check us out and you get the added pleasure or displeasure depending on your point of view of chatting to me and Bill (Perdu) 😉

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Victor. Give it a go mate. Hopefully if Telford goes ahead this year in November, it will be on display at the Birmingham IPMS stand Check us out and you get the added pleasure or displeasure depending on your point of view of chatting to me and Bill (Perdu) 😉

Hi Tomo,

That'd be great!

I've never yet been to Telford, so fingers crossed that a semblance of normality has returned by then - it'd be great to meet some fellow BM-ers in person!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 3