MC.72 fuselage radiator

espeefan

Trying to determine if the removable radiator on the rear lower fuselage was on the plane during either successful world record attempt.  Anyone have an idea? the plane currently lacks it and only  few photos show it, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  TIA!

I found a video that purports to show the speed record attempt, and it appears that there was a radiator fitted to the rear fuselage, at least on the date that the video shows. Interesting that each engine was started individually, which makes sense, I guess, in that the engines were fitted in tandem and each drove a propeller by means of concentric drive shafts. I hope this will help you in your project.

Mike

https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/fastest-man-alive-1934-180957041/

• Like 1

Hi espeefan,

Harry Robinson's drawings of the MC72 state that aircraft 181 (the record seaplane) did not have the ventral radiator. It was only fitted to 179 and 180. Other photographs seem to bear this out:

Linky

There's probably confusion because most references don't state that there were three built. The first two were wrecked in accidents, both pilots being killed and only 181 went on to take the record. This is the museum exhibit on show today. Most photos don't show the serial clearly - it's just below the horizontal stabilizer.

Dave

Thanks, all of you for replying.  That's sort of what I figured, it wasn't needed for the flight but I was looking for confirmation (it is pretty neat looking when installed!).  I do have contemporary pictures of the surviving plane.  I was pretty confused till I understood it was removable. Thanks for that link Dave, Google hadn't revealed it to me.  Some good pictures, ones I don't have in my MC.72 folder, click and save......

• Like 1