1/144 Laker Skytrain Mcdonnell Douglas DC10-30 conversion from EE MD11

Hi Ian,thats a stunning job, absolutely marvellous,I am currently battling with a revell dc10-30 to try and produce the same subject,if I can do it only half as good as yours I will be well chuffed.                                                                                                                  Cheers Michael.

What a beautiful model! Great work! This is quite inspiring, as I am looking forward to completing an MD-11 sometime later this year...but first, the other "thing" on the bench is calling for completion first. Very very good job! Thank you for such good work!

• 8 months later...

Just realized that I had seen your finished post earlier...but somehow it popped up again on the recent list...no worries, I suppose...it deserves MORE praise....

:hypnotised: My my my! This is FANTASTIC!! 👍 I'm amazed at how "easy" you make the conversion from the MD-11 sound. This is a great livery on a great model, and you have finished splendidly. So very inspiring. I am currently working on an Authentic Airliners MD-11, and enjoying the work; seeing your work here pushes me on to get cracking! Such good finishes on the white, grey, and natural surfaces. Thanks so much for sharing. Wow wow wow.

Edited by Challenger350Pilot

On 3/20/2018 at 9:37 AM, Turbofan said:

not the larger more rounded one of the MD11. Some later DC10s did have the same intake as the MD11.

Not quite correct.  The DC-10-10 and DC-10-30 have a strait sided center engine duct.  Only the DC-10-40 has a flared duct similar to the MD-11.  The -40 series had Pratt & Whitney JT-9 powerplants, which are larger diameter,  rather than General Electric CF-6 series.  Your conversion of a MD-11 kit into a great looking DC-10-30 is fantastic.  Having flown all of the FedEx MD fleet, I really appreciate the work that went into this build.

• 1 year later...

I was shocked to realize that I missed this masterpiece when it was posted in 2018...

Thats an absolute stunner and a great tribute to this classic tri-jet.

• 6 months later...

Just like above I don't know how I missed this.

I have the Revell kit from the Laker boxing part built, with some aftermarket detail and decals to go with it.

First time I ever flew was on one of these from Gatwick to JFK in 1974,I was small, very small.........

Super job :clap:

Hi

Really a nice conversion here! It is really inspiring and it is a far better scale DC-10 than anything I have seen from dedicated 1/144th DC-10 models before (Revell, Airfix...)

By the way you just urged me ordering an EE DC-10.

Beautiful build!

Eric B.