SAAF Dakota - ESCI kit

This is the elderly ESCI 1/72 C-47 / DC-3 kit that I picked up for a tenner at last year's Driffield show as described in the Work In Progress section here:

20180320_145353

It's far from perfect, especially in the quality of its soft-edge camouflage, but it was primarily a first attempt to get a passable finish with my airbrush after it had laid unused for several years.

20180320_145531

As a kid in the early '80s in South Africa I used regularly to see and hear these Dakotas trundling through the sky.

20180320_145813

The brown was officially Dark Earth but the actual colour in service was much lighter. I think I might have gone too far and made it too light, but it's close enough.

20180320_145750

Decals come from a variety of sources: the national 'castle' insignia come from the old Superscale sheet, the code numbers (which are a bit too small) are from a 1/48 Airfix Spitfire kit and the yellow escape hatch lines are tiny sections cut from a decal stripe.

20180320_145331

More airbrushing practice is planned soon!

Jon

Edited by Jonners
WIP link added
  • Like 28

Thanks for the generous comments.

I found this old photo which was taken by my father when he took me to the Waterkloof airshow in (I think) early 1985. We were standing on the taxiway; the Dak had just dropped a parachute display team and was taxying in after landing. Airshow safety was obviously a little less restrictive than it is now!

20180320_172215

Jon

Very nice,....I love the Dak in this scheme and you`ve done a lovely job,...... until the Airfix kit was released the old Esci kit was the best Dak available and it still scrubs up well,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Very nice.

I built one of these Esci Daks last year  and finished it in NASA markings.

I still view the ESCI kit as "new" (I'm ancient) and remember that when it came out it in 1981 it was very much appreciated. Up until then the only 1/72 Daks were the ancient (1960) Airfix rendition - which had many accuracy issues and the 1979 released Italeri one (which was not too bad although had over emphasised recessed panel lines).

Nice build there Jon - still looks like you've got the old airbrush skills cooking.

23 hours ago, Jonners said:

...Waterkloof airshow in (I think) early 1985....

I went to an airshow at Swartkop in '98 and we were all searching the skies for the big finale - the Hercules para drop.

Unfortunately someone got their wires crossed and they all of the paras jumped out over Waterkloof on the other side of the N1 - major disappointment !  :D

Everyone loves a Dak, even more so when it’s built this well. That looks as if it’s come straight out of that SAAF book that we both have - marvellous stuff. 

Now dont forget the DC-3/C-47 STGB slated to start in early 2019. The BM community never tires of seeing a good looking Gooney Bird. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave