P-61 Black Widow.

Much happier with my seam filling which I felt was a weak area on my previous builds. The next area which requires attention is canopy work, having said that these weren't the easiest of canopies to work with but something I'll be making more effort to get right in future.

IMG_5959

IMG_5962IMG_5963

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Hi Roger,

This is nice. I try to steer clear of all black models as its so hard to capture that accurately. I think you have done a great job on that score and given me a bit of confidence to try out more! 

Cheers

Terry

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

Hi Roger,

This is nice. I try to steer clear of all black models as its so hard to capture that accurately. I think you have done a great job on that score and given me a bit of confidence to try out more! 

Cheers

Terry

Thanks very much Terry. To tell the truth I was a bit wary myself but at the end of the day nothing ventured, nothing gained, just go for it. What's the worst that can happen?

• Like 1

Nice one. Definitely looks the part. I'm going to order the B version now that it's out.

You mention problems with the canopy - was the fit not good then?

28 minutes ago, IanC said:

Nice one. Definitely looks the part. I'm going to order the B version now that it's out.

You mention problems with the canopy - was the fit not good then?

Thanks very much.

There was nothing wrong with the canopy as such. I had to use a tiny bit of filler on the front one and the rear one fit like a glove. No, I was refering to my own technique, or lack of. I used some of that "Glass coat Gauzy Agent" by AK Interactive. A spur of the moment purchase in the model shop after telling someone else it was a gimmick and nothing more than floor polish. :blush: I don't think I allowed it enough drying time before masking the canopy and painting, resulting in a bit of a mess. Anyway, I'll know next time. :smile:

• Like 1

:goodjob: I like that, looks just right. I am a lover of this plane it looks so menacing and powerful sat there ready to go. All the best with your future canopy masking, that is maybe the one part of this hobby that I don't look forward too. 

All the best, Martin 

Edited by Martin Ford
Misspelling

1 minute ago, Martin Ford said:

:goodjob: I like that, looks just right. I am a lover of this plane it looks so menacing and powerful sag there ready to go. All the best with your future canopy masking, that is maybe the one part of this hobby that I don't look forward too. 

All the best, Martin 

Thank you Martin.

I keep saying to myself I'll mask and paint the canopy first and get it out of the way before doing anything else and never do. :blush:

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

Thanks very much.

There was nothing wrong with the canopy as such. I had to use a tiny bit of filler on the front one and the rear one fit like a glove. No, I was refering to my own technique, or lack of. I used some of that "Glass coat Gauzy Agent" by AK Interactive. A spur of the moment purchase in the model shop after telling someone else it was a gimmick and nothing more than floor polish. :blush: I don't think I allowed it enough drying time before masking the canopy and painting, resulting in a bit of a mess. Anyway, I'll know next time. :smile:

Ah, I see. Thanks. Personally I never dip or gloss my canopies. Never seen the point. Just seems like something else to go wrong. I've buffed them up with a bit of cloth on occasions, though..

5 minutes ago, IanC said:

Ah, I see. Thanks. Personally I never dip or gloss my canopies. Never seen the point. Just seems like something else to go wrong. I've buffed them up with a bit of cloth on occasions, though..

You're probably right, against my better judgement I got caught up in the child in a sweet shop thing. Oooh, what can I buy? :blush:

1 hour ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I like the black. I'm going to steal your technique for when I do my Dambusters Lancaster.

Thank you.

I didn't think I'd ever see the day when anyone would be stealing one of my aircraft finishing techniques but to be fair I'd probably seen it or read it somewhere. :winkgrin:

I'll be using it again sometime in the (hopefully) not too distant future on something similar to your Lanc. :wink:

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to have a look, comment and press like. I built my first aircraft last year, not counting the ones I did as a schoolboy, just because I fancied trying it and not thinking it would become so addictive. 

The reactions to this one have been a real morale booster, so thanks again. 

• Like 1