Red Arrow 3 down.

c.smith10

BBC News is reporting that a Red Arrows Hawk has crashed at Valley this afternoon with unconfirmed reports of two on board. Witnesses have said that one parachute was seen. 

Fingers crossed for both crew. 

Gone to the first thread...

Edited by bzn20

Looks like it isn't display team flying but leaving for Scampton. Only one 'chute seen was reported but witnesses often get things wrong. Lets  hope so anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-43476222

16 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Already being covered here. Let's not have lots of thread going on this

Mike

Sorry Mike, I wasn't aware of another thread running. 

Please feel free to move or delete my post. 

• Like 1

Done a b it of tidying up of the duplicates, and I'm very sad to hear about the engineer not making it out.  That's very sad for his family and will doubtless also be hard for the pilot to bear due to survivor's guilt :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bzn20 said:

I feel so sorry for that Rigger, Lecky, Sumpy or whatever trade he was. The day he went to the Reds it would have made his day. Get to ride in the back seat, travel all over the place and treated like celebrities and get invited to all kinds of events.  Its so sad. RIP

Question.. Have they got an ejection master switch in Hawks so the Pilot that can bang out the back seater too?

A very sad day for all involved, but especially for the Blues.

You get the fast jet back seat jollies or get on the Reds flying circus, never thinking that you may have to take the Martin Baker option.

As mentioned in the pprune thread, the Hawk command ejection selector is on the rear cockpit bulkhead. It only has 2 options, off or rear initiated.

As its a trainer, the instructor would be in the back and have control of it. No selection for the front seat to initiate the back.

• Like 1

I was thinking about command eject last night. In the days of health and safety awareness, you would have thought it would be SOP in the Reds for command eject to be selected 'on' whenever flying non-aircrew in the back seat. I suspect the chaps family may consult a solicitor on the grounds of negligence and that procedures will change, and in this sort of circumstance it would be a good thing.

17 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

I was thinking about command eject last night. In the days of health and safety awareness, you would have thought it would be SOP in the Reds for command eject to be selected 'on' whenever flying non-aircrew in the back seat. I suspect the chaps family may consult a solicitor on the grounds of negligence and that procedures will change, and in this sort of circumstance it would be a good thing.

As per the post prior though, the Hawk's command eject works the other way around. As designed, the experienced instructor sits in the back and can bang out the inexperienced student sitting in the front. The "Student" in the front seat can't bang out the "instructor" in the back. The issue, if there is one, is that the commander sits in the 'wrong' seat in the Red Arrows. When a typical Hawk student is flying solo and is thus the commander, this isn't an issue because he ejects himself anyway.

To work such that the Red Arrows command seat could eject both would have required the system to be reversed. I have not seen the system, so cannot comment on how easy or difficult it would be to implement such a change.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

I suspect the chaps family may consult a solicitor on the grounds of negligence....

I'm sure that all the people who get to fly in the back seat of a Hawk get thorough (& refresher, if they do it on a regular basis) training in how to use the ejection seat and the procedures involved. The investigation into this tragic accident will only just be beginning, there could be any  number of reasons why it happened. Isn't it a little early to speculate and get ambulance chasers involved......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I'm sure that all the people who get to fly in the back seat of a Hawk get thorough (& refresher, if they do it on a regular basis) training in how to use the ejection seat and the procedures involved. The investigation into this tragic accident will only just be beginning, there could be any  number of reasons why it happened. Isn't it a little early to speculate and get ambulance chasers involved......

You're not taking into account that the "course" could be only the day before, it's a massive amount of information to take in and only a fractional amount will be absorbed because of the stress/excitement/adrenalin/anticipation, etc.