Coloured Water (aka AK Interactive/Meng Paints)

Graeme

So i have a couple of sets of AK Interactive acrylic paint sets...well, I wouldn't call them paint, just coloured water!

How are they supposed to be used? I've tried airbrush, and brush, but irrespective of how I thin them, their covering power is hopeless - they are completely translucent.

I currently feel I have wasted my money on these things and will go back to Tamiya or Xtralycs

(Hataka are no better either!)

:swear:

Hello @Graeme ... I believe they're pre-thinned at the factory ? I have some Ammo by MiG & Vallejo paints that come that way. If your thinning pre-thinned paints that might explain why you're getting no coverage. Try a test without thinning them through your Airbrush. I know it seems scary but i did it through my brand new Iwata and it worked fine.

You can brush them by hand as well. I find they work better if i let them sit in a paint cup for 10-15 minutes. This way the factory thinner evaporate’s so the paint thickens a little. Sometimes it takes two coats, but i get decent results that way. Hope this helps you or anyone. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

On 19/03/2018 at 7:35 PM, Graeme said:

So i have a couple of sets of AK Interactive acrylic paint sets...well, I wouldn't call them paint, just coloured water!

How are they supposed to be used? I've tried airbrush, and brush, but irrespective of how I thin them, their covering power is hopeless - they are completely translucent.

I currently feel I have wasted my money on these things and will go back to Tamiya or Xtralycs

(Hataka are no better either!)

:swear:

I've picked up a few Mig Ammo paints recently and assuming they perform the same as AKI paints, this is what I did.

Straight from the bottle they would spray pretty well, but had a tendency to start getting a bit spotty, presumably with some minor clogging (my needle has a very slight bend in the tip so maybe that affected it). I did a quick test by applying maybe 2-3 drops of Ultimate Airbrush Acrylic Thinner, gave it a little stir, covered the nozzle and applied some air to further mix it (watch for any splashing, though). It then sprayed brilliantly. 

I painted an entire truck with no real issues, including a colour change for the cab and another colour change for a bit of detail. 

Given the product similarities between AKI and Mig Ammo, I guess the same process may work? I think I have a single bottle of AKI paint from a weathering set that I could maybe test out again. I think I gave it a shot once and don't recall any issues from the bottle without any additional thinning.

Just remember to give it lighter coats than you would with say, Tamiya, and build up :)

Gaz

• Like 1