Ambitious Scooter

A pair of VMA-311 A-4Ms on the Nellis AFB transient ramp in September 1980...

BuNo 159473

159473 vma-311 WL11 KLSV 19800900 17cr

Those are GPU-2/A gun pods - times four!

159473 vma-311 WL11 KLSV 19800900 20cr

159473 vma-311 WL11 KLSV 19800900 18cr

The second Scooter, 160032, carried a rather odd, to me, load: centerline buddy refueling pod, two external tanks and two MERs...

160032 vma-311 WL06 KLSV 19801000 19cr

Hasegawa provides a US Navy Hi-Peg gun pod in their 1/72 Weapons Set II, but I don't think any one makes a GPU-2. Anyone know otherwise?

Thanks for looking,

Sven

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Was this an experimental or operational fit?

If it were experimental, I would have expected the Naval Weapons Center or VX-5 at China Lake would have been flying it. They certainly had A-4Ms back then. Seeing as the Tomcats were an operational unit, I would expect it was operational. Sort of like carrying four SUU-20/23 gun pods on Phantoms, they were operationally approved loadings, but rarely used.

Nice! 

MER on the outer pylons dosn't have to be too strange, it all comes down to what they load on them. BDU-33 practice bomblets are still often loaded on MER for practice drops, and still well within weight limits of the pylon in question 

13 minutes ago, Old Viper Tester said:

If it were experimental, I would have expected the Naval Weapons Center or VX-5 at China Lake would have been flying it. They certainly had A-4Ms back then. Seeing as the Tomcats were an operational unit, I would expect it was operational. Sort of like carrying four SUU-20/23 gun pods on Phantoms, they were operationally approved loadings, but rarely used.

Would like to have seen it used though.

2 hours ago, Boman said:

MER on the outer pylons dosn't have to be too strange,

Wasn't thinking about the weight, but the combination of the refueling pod and the MERs. Add that to being a flight of two, and the fuel pod being used to refuel the gunslinger (because of the drag of the four gun pods?). Are the bombs, practice or otherwise, on the refueler to be used in conjunction with the guns or are they there just because? The whole thing just seems to be a very odd (or very specialized?) combination.