Mark's 1/48 Inpact Fairey Flycatcher - completed

MarkSH

Hello all,

Not content with signing up to a GB I hadn't planned on doing, I found I couldn't pass by on a 1/48 Inpact Fairey Flycatcher on EBay, once again my interest lies in it being the subject of a very early oil painting of mine, so I'll have ago at it as well as the Swordfish.

No pics as It hasn't arrived yet.....but this is the kit:

39988307835_979f702de9_b.jpg

I hope it does now I've said....

Cheers, M.

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Col. said:

Any chance we'll get to see your painting as well Mark?

Unfortunately not Col. sold at a local art sale and images lost to computer hardware issue a while back. Often thought I should revisit the subject.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

You beat me to it! I was considering a Pyro boxing of this, looking forward to lots of good tips!

lol...you're going to build it anyway right? cause I'll need the tips too! From what I've heard it's relatively straight forward bar the undercarriage which is a bit fiddly.  

a second build with a real oldie.

The carrier she was on looks to be one of the earliest of what we now associate with how an aircraft carrier "should" look.

It'll be nice to see this one being built, hopefully we'll see it in the gallery at the end.

Evening all,

I was relieved and glad to find that the Inpact Fairey Flycatcher had arrived on returning home this evening and also happy to report that it looks like another fun to build vintage kit. It was still sealed in the plastic bags and I felt vaguely guilty for opening it all up...

40900738552_cca2157a10_c.jpg

40900738092_fb66f368cb_c.jpg

The whole ensemble and the instruction sheet intro.

40900737832_729d057148_c.jpg

40900737192_6a6588d38e_c.jpg

The one page assembly illustration, along with written assembly notes which include the use of a hot knife, any responsible adults in the house? and the decals, hmm.... I may have to test the display base legend to see what I'm dealing with here, plus they could do with a spell in a plastic bag taped to a window.

40900738282_9e308878e9_c.jpg

40900737432_4f50a84f4a_c.jpg

The general quality of the moulding is very nice in a silvery grey with some quite fine detail and texture, there is some mould creep but nothing drastic, and I'm definitely going to include Flash 'arry here, cause he's a cheeky chappy with lots of character.

Tell you what! I'm looking forward to this one however I've been ordered to vacate Hall Towers on Saturday as SWMBO is hosting a Ladies wot lunch do, so I'm treating myself to a trip to Hendon for some data/photo gathering on a range of things including their RAF Trolley Acc. as I going to scratch one for the Airfix golden years GB and one for my soon to be started 1/24 Hurricane. the wheels for the trolley arrived today also (I had two sets 3D printed at Shapeways) and I have to say I'm impressed especially with the detail in the 1/24 set. Anyway see below if your interested the upshot is I'm not going to start either the Flycatcher or the Swordfish until middle of next week probably.

40049472255_da64fd5b45_c.jpg

40049472645_e8404caf34_c.jpg   

Cheers, M.

• Like 6

for it's age the mouldings look pretty good, no worse than some of the stuff you get today! Yes that chappy looks very happy, off on a jolly good flight.

Gosh I remember instructions like that, assembly notes were quite useful as well. Plus using a hot knife as well, gee now days there be a 10 page warning about it plus a non-liability document to sign as well!!

6 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Great choice. The Flycatcher is one of my favourite aircraft.

Will be watching with interest as I plan to build the Inpact Bristol Bulldog for the RAF Centenary GB.

I nearly bought the SMER boxing (I think its the same kit) 1/48 Bulldog alongside the Flycatcher, I still might try and get one, so I'll watch out for your build very shortly. Yes I agree the Flycatcher is a uniquely 'British' design solution to early carrier operations and is a great base for some lovely colourful schemes.

Cheers, M.

On 3/22/2018 at 12:04 PM, MarkSH said:

I nearly bought the SMER boxing (I think its the same kit) 1/48 Bulldog alongside the Flycatcher, I still might try and get one, so I'll watch out for your build very shortly. Yes I agree the Flycatcher is a uniquely 'British' design solution to early carrier operations and is a great base for some lovely colourful schemes.

Cheers, M.

I think the Smer Bulldog was Merit tooling

Afternoon everyone,

Have just started the Flycatcher and as good an old kit as it is for its age, I feel a little extra detail wouldn't go amiss so I have started working on the cockpit.

The kit supplied seat and cockpit floor are I feel, completely at odds with the quality of detail of the rest of the kit and almost look like they were sequestered from another kit of a more modern aircraft just to fill the requirement.  The actual Flycatcher cockpit is a frame type affair with a seat pretty much as one would expect for an aircraft brought into service a mere five years after the end of the World War I.  Consequently, I have made a more representative seat (and raised it up a bit), seat belts , Milliput cushion, some of the structure that backed the pilot's legs and some rudder pedal straps. I also found that the control column was damaged so I made a new one and took the opportunity to add some wire wrapping on the 'spade' type handle for a little added texture.

On a sadder note, the inclusion of all the extra detail has consigned 'Flash 'Arry' (see above) to a non-active role, although I may still paint him up for a guest appearance. Its a long way from accurate and a bit over-scale, but a little more interesting that the rather spartan kit details.

41160665271_66ecdf9567_b.jpg

The 'improved' cockpit plus the completely out of place kit seat.

I have added some suggestion of the cockpit framework to the port side wall along with the throttle control, plus the sliding panel that closed up the cockpit opening, just need to repeat the process for the other, paint it up and that's the internals done.

41160666561_de9b605eab_b.jpg

More to come.

Cheers, M.

• Like 9

Last bit for today,

I Have started adding some extras to the engine which is nicely moulded anyway, I didn't want to use the supplied pushrods as they were too short for the aft bank of cylinders so I used 0.5mm wire instead.

27294153538_24f8a932f3_b.jpg

I have also started adding the wiring harnesses to the front bank, for these I used 0.4mm lead wire.

27294154758_386742741b_b.jpg

Leaving the rest for tomorrow because my eyes are saying enough is enough!

Cheers, M.

• Like 7

Evening all,

A few Bank Holiday distractions today, but managed to get the cockpit in place and get the two fuselage halves together.

41147160142_5abc244a6e_b.jpg

Brush painted the seat with Vallejo metal colour aluminium and for some reason (probably because I did brush paint it) it looked like pigment separated from the medium, but I actually like the effect it gave me so a happy accident.

41147160492_b0f8f440d2_b.jpg

I also continued with the detailing of the engine and needed to add at least some suggestion of the exhausts as there are none in the kit.

41147160242_207b5a1a04_b.jpg

Cheers, M.

• Like 10

I agree, very nice work on the cockpit, your start on the exhaust looks great! It'll be some work to do them all but it'll look fantastic when done, so go for it! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Cracking detail work Mark :goodjob: How did you get such a smooth curve on the exhaust pieces?

Thanks Col, To curve the plastic rod I slowly and repeatedly shaped it around one of my pin vices, eventually it holds the curve required, although over time they'll probably straighten out and one day the engine will just 'ping' across the room!:lol:

• Haha 2

Evening all,

More work on the little Flycatcher, but I'm going to call a halt on the engine as I just can't fit anymore on! The lack of definitive source material has meant some coarse interpretation on my part and I'm sure someone will spot a glaring omission or error, I'm just happy enough because it looks a little more busy. Anyway I've added the 'doodad' on the top front of the engine 'reduction gear housing'? plus what I believe is the oil scavenge pipework but I've only been able to add a few of the exhaust pipes. I also had a bash at making a replacement tube sight and support rings/brackets as the kit's effort looked a bit spindly.  I have fitted the lower wings and started to fill the gaps as I read in another modeller's build that the model is quite inaccurate with regard to the way in which the wings are attached to the fuselage.

40521997404_59fc8deafd_b.jpg

Cheers, M.

• Like 5

Evening all,

With the fuselage halves together I have added the Cabane struts and I am spending a fair bit of time trying to blend them into the cowling, I hope to finish the all metal part of the aircraft in foil so they do need to be sanded quite vigorously so it doesn't show up like a sore thumb. Also managed to paint the prop flat coat of Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow with Burnt Sienna oil dragged over the top.

40658777724_109022ac13_b.jpg

Cheers, M.

• Like 7