Avon Sabre Conversion 1/72

Those bays are looking nice and I was about to say that they need a wash but you're doing that anyway.:yes:

I'm very much in Perdu's camp when it comes to paint types, enamels for the outside, acrylics are used in the bays and the cockpit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A frustrating afternoon I must confess. Whilst trying to perfect the under nose landing light housing, some of the surrounding dayglo cracked.

No problem, a gentle bit of repairing with a but of Mr Surfacer, a rub down and respray, first some superfine white primer, more filling then then more dayglo. Then we can actually sort the lights themselves.

So here is stage 1 of repair. You can see the cracked area which needs more very fine filler. You will also notice I masked off a lot of the area to avoid overspray.....

20180406_161639

I am sure I peeled off the tape CAREFULLY but alas, we have taken some of the Alclad off .....

20180406_16165020180406_16170920180406_161818

I had trouble in this very same area when I masked the dayglo off originally and applied the Alclad, all other masking on the model has been fine over Alclad, Acrylics, you name it but this area is the problem. I suspect I didn't properly clean it before spraying.

So now I have this to fix and the tidying and dayglo around the lights then the lights themselves to add.

I am thinking of naming this the Avon Sabre RIP............:worry:

Don't worry my new found supporters down under, I will persevere!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Try feathering the offending areas with micromesh and then mask then off with post it notes, much less tacky than Tamiya tape, and the carefully re-spray. I had the same issues with my Avrocar and the above process works fine.

Martian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Try feathering the offending areas with micromesh and then mask then off with post it notes, much less tacky than Tamiya tape, and the carefully re-spray. I had the same issues with my Avrocar and the above process works fine.

Martian

Thanks Martian, I'll try that. The post it note idea sounds good.

I'll let you all know how it goes ...... :worry:

Terry

Its been a busy week work wise even though I'm supposed to be semi-retired, so very little modelling :-(

However we have recovered from the hiccups of the spoiled landing lights and peeled off Alclad. Managed to repair the lights and get to a point where I just need to drop in some blobs of Clearfix for the glass.

20180409_14351820180411_223235

Also, a helpful tip from @Martian Hale on the use of post its and micro mesh to repair the Alclad finish and we have gone from this.........

20180406_161818

To this ...............

20180411_22351720180411_223342

So now we also have the correct colour wheel wells ( thanks to @Graeme H ) complete with a wash of black, so we can get back to where we were just over a week ago. Decals to complete, a final coat of varnish, a bit of a panel line wash (very light) and all the various bits of undercarriage and sidewinders attached.

Will it be ready for the club show on Saturday I wonder................ :worry:

Terry

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Wilks said:

Looks the goods Terry...

Hoping this link works for you.

Thanks Antoney. The link worked fine, that's some footage that is very relevant to my build!

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Looking good Terry :). A good recovery ;)

Thanks Martin.

I've been working most of this week so havn't had chance to get her finished but I'm hoping to get some time this weekend.

Cheers

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Have made a little more progress but have been somewhat distracted this last week when I decided my workbench was too crowded and chaotic, mostly with paint and other such products. I therefore took to constructing a couple of 1:1 scale paint shelves:

20180425_14143220180424_19350720180422_171234

End result is a slightly clearer work area, although still have all Tamiya, Humbrol, Revell and a few others to shelves build for. I think eventually they will all have to go on the wall.

20180429_103239

So this morning I became free again for the final touches on the Sabre.

This was the moment I always dread when applying a pin/overall wash......

20180502_104438

Left it for a while and sorted some of the final bits to be added thus. It looks like the tyres will need a further touch of tyre black:

20180502_133138

The wash came off quite well although a challenge with the Tasman fuselage I had was that some of the engraved lines weren't that good. Also that port flap hinge area needs some cleaning up 

20180502_133410

This afternoons work with be a further clean up then an airbrushed coat of semi matt all over, hence the masking still in place for now. Then hopefully fixing all those remaining parts.

The big question is, will she be ready for tonights club meeting .................?😓

Cheers

Terry

• Like 5

A couple of hours this afternoon and she is almost done. Managed to attach all U/C legs and doors, and sidewinder missiles on pylons, although doors not shown in this shot yet.

20180502_15093220180502_15095820180502_151024

Once those had all set off nicely I airbrushed a final coat of Humbrol Satin Acrylic varnish.

There is just a small vent pipe at the rear port side of the lower fuselage to paint red, the jet pipe to fit and the masking tape around the canopy to be removed and she is done. Main issue seems to be that the satin varnish is taking a while to set properly. Should have stuck with Klear followed by a coat of Tamiya Acrylic satin - that seems to dry very quickly indeed. I chose the Humbrol Acrylic varnishes as I'd had good reports of them and wanted to try them out.

Fingers crossed I can get it done for the club meet in two and a half hours, although I wont attempt the last two activities until its dry. If need be she will see daylight next month!

20180502_162932

• Like 3

Surprised at the Humbrol Satin taking time to dry. In my experience the drying time is no more than 10 minutes. It is of course perfectly possible that they have changed the formula again and made it worse.

Gorgeous Sabre,

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Surprised at the Humbrol Satin taking time to dry. In my experience the drying time is no more than 10 minutes. It is of course perfectly possible that they have changed the formula again and made it worse.

The good news is you were correct, it was just my impatience! Looks like the formula has not changed.

The other good news is that she was finished just in time for last nights Poole Viking club meet, and even picked up a couple of votes ...............

20180502_205156

I do have a second Tasman fuselage conversion which came with a Fujimi F-86 that I picked up at a show for a fiver, so a second Avon Sabre will follow in due course. That one will be on full squadron markings.

Here is a better picture. She now sits on the grand shelf of completion, which is growing by the month as I find my way back into the hobby proper.

Full RFI to come shortly

20180503_001834

30 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Looking good, nearly there :yes:.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, we are indeed.

Full RFI is here

Terry

• Like 1