1 Squadron RAF Hurricane IIc

Hi All

Recently joined the forum to participate in the fun. Here's my first model completed since joining; a Revell 1/72 Hurricane IIc representing a 1 Squadron machine using Xtradecals. One of the reasons for building it is a pre-cursor to an R/C model of the same prototype. But there's a twist. It won't be a powered R/C model, but a glider! Seems odd, but there is a genre of R/C glider called a Power Scale Slope soarer that is a scale model of a full size a/c (either piston or jet or rocket powered) that is then launched from a hill and soars on the wave lift.

I think it originated in the early 1980's when both electric power and miniature turbojets were not as developed as they are today, so the PSS genre made scale models of jets in particular viable.

The UK based PSS Association has a bi-annual event where a model is designed and members are then free to select their own prototype, do a build thread on an R/C modelling forum and then there is a mass get-together at a soaring event where all the completed models are flown. See here for a little more info if you like:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=134035&p=1

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. I enjoyed slapping the kit together. I had bought the Eduard etch but only ended up using the mesh screen for the carb intake (the kit part pinged off somewhere) as I thought most of the kit was reasonably detailed. I did use AML vinyl masks to help speed up painting and it's the first time I'd used those instead of copious amounts of Tamiya tape and tin foil. They made it easy for sure, but are they cheating....

PICT2827

PICT2828

PICT2833

PICT2832

• Like 41

Nicely done. Coincidentally as I sit here I can see that well known photo of  the original in flight alongside it's squadron mates in my Aeroplane Monthly calendar for March.

• Thanks 1