Varnish troubles [Help!]

Sairou

QbeaLan.jpg

CW3H29v.jpg

I'm baffled as to why the matt varnish has done this- it's Mig Ammo's 'Lucky' Matt Varnish. For some reason, it has dried with strings or hairs. The problem is most pronounced on the first picture. Please help!

I think those fibres at least are household dust.  I get that problem several orders of magnitude worse if I forget to gently clean models off with a tacky cloth (not dry - that encourages static electricity, which attracts yet more dust) due to the presence in the house of a herd of cats.

• Like 1

Agree with above, have a look under a magnifier. You may be able to brush some off with a old paint brush thats not too soft, if you haven't gone too heavy with the varnish coat.

Looks good with the detail I can see, we are always hyper critical of our own models, bet 99% of people who look at it won't notice anyway

• Like 1

Hi, typical modelling problem I guess ... there's no magical solution but the best precaution is to dust your model before painting and/or varnishing, with a soft brush (wet if you want) and air (use your airbrush with a high pressure setting, but without paint, of course).

To avoid excessive dust in my paint booth, I protect it with a cloth when not in use, and vacuum it from time to time ...

If you have dust in your varnish layer, try to remove it first with a soft brush, then with a stiffer one ... and if you're still not satisfied, use a very fine abrasive (2000 or 3000 grit should do the trick and only remove the top layer).

E

• Like 1

You might be able to fix things with a gentle rub with a cotton wool bud with a little Isopropyl Alcohol or thinner on it. You are of course removing the varnish but if you are gentle you are just moving it about. There is a danger that the bud will deposit fibres! I tend to search my model with a magnifier before I varnish (as well as do what the others suggest).

Edited by Watcher
  • Like 1

I'm going to go in a different direction. I'm not sure I'm seeing "strings" as you call them. I've had this problem before as well, but the problem was with the matt/dull coat itself. If not shaken/stirred thoroughly or if it's old, the whatever-it-is they put in clear to make it matt precipitates out and manifests itself as tiny white dots/clots. Sometimes a complete stir mixes it all back up, but sometimes the mixture is past its useful shelf life and just won't mix anymore, so it needs to be tossed. I may be wrong, but its worth checking. 

Edited by gamevender
  • Like 1