Tower Bridge Hunter - Airfix 1/72

CedB

On 27/03/2018 at 20:37, 71chally said:

Sab is a new one on me, but Sabrinas definitely, the term wasn't for the tanks, it was for the link collector bulges introduced under the forward fuselage.

32534056416_9368ee26b0_c.jpgHawker Hunter F.58 ZZ191 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Sabrina was the screen name for model and actress Norma Ann Sykes who was particularly well known for her frontal areas! 

The Goon Show certainly got good mileage from them her!

I will let you Google her, I'm in enough trouble as it is!

Lovely progress on your Hunter there Ced.

A safe-for-work-but-not-safe-for-CorsairCorp Video of the lovely lady in question...

My word... the things you see when you haven't got your gun...

Edited by charlie_c67
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Looking at the just reissued Revell Hunter kit it has reminded me, apologies if mentioned before

on the Hunter there is no rear canopy frame, it's really a blown piece of perspex with metal canopy runners/frames at the lower edges where it meets the fuselage, and a thin finishing metal hoop strip at the leading edge.  The rear of the canopy is chamfered up a bit from the inside to clear the forward edge of the dorsal spine, and there is a clear stiffening hoop inside at the trailing edge which seals against a ridge to assist in cockpit pressurisation.

click to enlarge image

16531676769_6e01b23070_c.jpgHawker Hunter F.6A XF515 'N-294' (G-KAXF) Dutch Hawker Hunter Foundation by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

This thread has inspired me to dig out the Mister Craft Hunter that is in one of my HYBAK* boxes.

*Have you bought another kit?

sssshhhh don't mention HYBAK! Mine is OIHTOFY.

*Oh I've had that one for years

• Haha 4

Good old Gregory Pank huh?

I use White's in Summer Lane, a treasure trove

Every inch Aladdin's cave

But if I was south side of the city I'd probably use Pank's again. 👍

But they're both a long way from South Wales 

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, perdu said:

If there is any interest I have added a short piece about files into the Buccaneering thread, saving Ced's thread from inconsequentials...

After viewing and earwigging the instructional Super8 film on gardening and household chores, the above could have be written by dear old Spike and would fit in perfectly at about 1 min 33 seconds.

Oooo Matron

Strickers

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Guys 😀

Still away and only have the phone. I can’t really type on that so just a quick post to let you know that eModels sent me an email announcing the re-release of the Revell FGA.9...

Too late for me but worth a look?

• Like 5

I have read with interest the comments on RAF Halton during this build, so you can imagine my surprise when I read today that Masterchef will be at RAF Halton in Aylesbury in the Wednesday night episode (8.00 pm, 4th April). I hope this is the correct RAF Halton!

I hope this is of interest to the BM'r's who served at Halton.

The contestants will be preparing a meal for 120 RAF  personnel as part of the centenary RAF celebrations.

I am waiting with bated breath to see the programme, as the trailer shows Torode and Wallace striding out, wearing flight suit and helmet! I imagine they are going to be flown in to the base, but it is also possible they got kitted up for some ambience!

Apologies for the drift, Ced, I am sure things Hunter will pick up soon!

Edited by Whofan
correct incorrect time of programme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

RAF Halton

They've done one of those TV cooking progs there before. The one where one of x number of chefs cook to win the right to cook a 3 course meal for a banquet. It was served up in the Officer's Mess, Halton House ( a Rothschild built mansion) I went there with my Dad 4 or 5  years ago, also ex Halton for the 1st visit together since I passed out in 72. I managed to get lunch for both of us in there. The BBC or production company were filling trucks up with all the furniture used for the Banquet days before our visit. The mansion has been used in a few films and TV series, an MOD pocket filler. Thanks for the warning !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Guys 😀

Still away and only have the phone. I can’t really type on that so just a quick post to let you know that eModels sent me an email announcing the re-release of the Revell FGA.9...

Too late for me but worth a look?

The Revell Hunter is definitely worth a look and to my mind the best Hunter in 1/72nd, I bought a shed load up at a bargain price when ModelZone went belly up (4 for the current price of 1 at the advertised price on the BigH).

The main wheels wheels are undersized though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bzn20 said:

They've done one of those TV cooking progs there before. The one where one of x number of chefs cook to win the right to cook a 3 course meal for a banquet. It was served up in the Officer's Mess, Halton House ( a Rothschild built mansion) I went there with my Dad 4 or 5  years ago, also ex Halton for the 1st visit together since I passed out in 72. I managed to get lunch for both of us in there. The BBC or production company were filling trucks up with all the furniture used for the Banquet days before our visit. The mansion has been used in a few films and TV series, an MOD pocket filler. Thanks for the warning !

Thanks for the stories. I think that might have been a Great British menu banquet you mentioned.

Oh, and I intended it as a heads up for people, not a warning! 

Unless you can't stand Greg Wallace ....  :whistle:

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:09, 71chally said:

Looking at the just reissued Revell Hunter kit it has reminded me, apologies if mentioned before

on the Hunter there is no rear canopy frame, it's really a blown piece of perspex with metal canopy runners/frames at the lower edges where it meets the fuselage, and a thin finishing metal hoop strip at the leading edge.  The rear of the canopy is chamfered up a bit from the inside to clear the forward edge of the dorsal spine, and there is a clear stiffening hoop inside at the trailing edge which seals against a ridge to assist in cockpit pressurisation.

click to enlarge image

16531676769_6e01b23070_c.jpgHawker Hunter F.6A XF515 'N-294' (G-KAXF) Dutch Hawker Hunter Foundation by James Thomas, on Flickr

That cant be a real Hunter. There are hardly any panel lines and no pre-shading.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

20 minutes ago, John_W said:

That cant be a real Hunter. There are hardly any panel lines and no pre-shading.

Which is why you can't rely on museum restorations for accurate finishes!:P

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Wez said:

The Revell Hunter is definitely worth a look and to my mind the best Hunter in 1/72nd, I bought a shed load up at a bargain price when ModelZone went belly up (4 for the current price of 1 at the advertised price on the BigH).

Snap! Unfortunately I then sold half of them off, so only have eight left....:whistle:

But if anyone does want to buy the re-issue, it might (stress might) be worth buying them now, as given Revell's ongoing bankruptcy problems, who knows how long they might be around for......

Keith

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, Whofan said:

Greg Wallace

Warning, heads up...Same thing:P...

Greg Wallis at Kellogs factory, Trafford Park...They don't grow like this Greg.

CORNFLAKES ! How many are there?

ROBOTS..How many are there?

BOXES of CORNFLAKES..How many are there?

Next week I'm in Wigan at the Heinz factory

BEANS , How many are there ?

CANS How.................etc

He's okay as long as he doesn't see lots of things, anything more than ten items ,he's on drugs.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

He's okay as long as he doesn't see lots of things, anything more than ten items ,he's on drugs.

:D

16 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Well, he’s absolutely fine as the RAF don’t have very many of anything!

• Haha 3