Airfix 1/72 Percival Jet Provost duo (Shelf of doom refugees #5 and 6 -the final count)

The last of my refugees from the shelf of doom have heaved themselves over the side of the rubber raft and are wrapping themselves in foil blankets and gratefully accepting hot coffee. And in this case it is a duo of Airfix's rather wonderful Jet Provosts, built as a pair.

27004849328_be3be318a6_h.jpgJP T.4 3 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

Both aircraft had the addition of a number of small details, including aerials and fairings, but were otherwise built from the box. The model goes together like a dream, with the only points of caution being the angle of the tailplanes and the inevitable gap from the air intakes. As a kit it is perfect as a starter and well done to Airfix for releasing it as such. A couple more have found their way into my stash and I am eyeing up the other options on the Xtradecal sheet I purchased -particularly that attractive Venezuelan aircraft.

39981199065_6e119f0100_h.jpgJP T.3 1 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

The first aircraft was completed as one of the kit options, a T.3 of No.2 Flying Training School. I particularly like the light aircraft grey with dayglo stripes, and was delighted that this option was included. Now, as anybody who has chosen this option will probably guess, my delight was severely dented when it came to the decals -those big, bright, dayglo decals. After copious amounts of Microsol and a lot of swearing (and much entertainment for the rest of the model building group) those on the wingtip tanks and the rear fuselage finally settled. Oddly, the big stripes that wrapped around the leading edges went down with no issues, but my sanity took a lot of beating that evening:banghead:.

27004849638_4d18dfeb45_h.jpgJP T.3 2 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

The other kit was finished as a T.4 of No.1 Tactical Weapons Unit. I first saw camouflaged JPs on ATC camp at Brawdy back in 1985, which was the first time that I'd ever come across them in anything other than red and white. After the T.4s were retired, by which time they were painted in air defence grey, one of them, XR679, was bought by a gent called Eddie Todd, who covered the grey in self adhesive multi-coloured circles and flew aerobatic displays at shows. He helped to offset the cost by raffling a flight in the aircraft, and at St. Mawgan airshow in 1996 I spent £1 on a winning ticket. A most enjoyable 20-minute flight after the show was the result, with a number of aerobatics and a short visit to Perranporth airfield (at the time beset by anti-noise NIMBYs).

27004849388_0ce6804a11_h.jpgJP T.4 1 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

When Xtradecal issued their JP sheet for the new kit I was therefore very pleased to see XR679 included. Not wanting to get spots in my eyes :blink2: I was never going to complete it in its demobbed form (see https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/G-BWGT for the reason why) but the JP looks particularly neat in dark sea grey/dark green camouflage.

39981197835_8bf7146f83_h.jpgJP T.4 2 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

So, to anybody thinking about building the Airfix Jet Provost, go and do it. It's a terrific build and a great mojo restorative.

39981198325_3f7edcb14a_h.jpgJP T.3 3 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

• Like 35

5 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

The JP does look rather fine as a "combat" aircraft rather than as a trainer... Very impressive duo. 

Does anyone do a JP in larger scale? 

Aero club did T. Mk. 3 and T. Mk. 5 in 1/48th but both are now like rocking-horse poo.  The fact that they’re good kits doesn’t help here: people usually won’t part with them.

Heritage Aviation Model, now known as Kits for Cash, did a resin T. Mk. 3/T. Mk. 4 kit which isn’t bad but, like the Aeroclub kits, it’s probably now out of production.

Fly do a 1/48th T. Mk. 5 which is also OK, but there are reportedly issues with the nose shape (a bit too pointy) and the colour schemes are a bit suspect but apparently it builds well.

One thing to note about the JP 3 and 4 is that the longitudinal frame in the sliding section of the canopy is internal so shouldn’t show the external finish colour.

46 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Aero club did T. Mk. 3 and T. Mk. 5 in 1/48th but both are now like rocking-horse poo.  The fact that they’re good kits doesn’t help here: people usually won’t part with them.

Heritage Aviation Model, now known as Kits for Cash, did a resin T. Mk. 3/T. Mk. 4 kit which isn’t bad but, like the Aeroclub kits, it’s probably now out of production.

Fly do a 1/48th T. Mk. 5 which is also OK, but there are reportedly issues with the nose shape (a bit too pointy) and the colour schemes are a bit suspect but apparently it builds well.

One thing to note about the JP 3 and 4 is that the longitudinal frame in the sliding section of the canopy is internal so shouldn’t show the external finish colour.

Looks like an order to Hannants is needed, I think the T3 would be fun, the T3 in "Desert" markings at DSAE, Cosford looks interesting! 

Stunning job on those two Martin, a great incentive for me to buy another couple & the Xtradecal sheet. I can see why the spots with lipstick scheme was rejected, but the flames scheme is a bit smart, pity no decals for that.

Steve.

Great models Martin, I especially liked the grey training command finish I bought 4 of the Jp's when they came out and the extradecal sheet and am now on my third Jp.  Like you had troubles with the dayglow decals but your models look really good.

Lovely pair of JP's Martin! Both beautifully finished!

I snapped a photo of a 79 Squadron JP visiting Chivenor from Brawdy in the early 80's, also surprised to see it in that scheme at the time as well!

Sorry for poor quality of photo I was only about 14 and we didn't have iPhones in those days lol

Cheers

Simon

JETPROVOST2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Great pair & a good contrast. I love the Camo! Its a great kit, I have 4 in addition to the one already built and will buy more if aldi sell them at a fiver a go.

Maybe now is a good time to go into businesst producing JP specific decals given how many most people seem to have :lol:

Edited by matt_w

Lovely JP's Martin - you have done better than me with the dayglo decals - I simply could not get them to conform to even the most gentle of curves and so ended up resorting to a different scheme - the Xtradecal sheet is great and, as you say, has lots of tempting schemes on there...

Like you I also built a second one "out of the box" in red, white and grey, and would happily build more - a really great kit.

Thanks for sharing.

Nick.