RN Hawker Sea Hawk from 810 Sqdn on HMS Albion, December 1956

I started this build as an entry to the Carriers Ahoy! GB, but as I am a slow builder, I didn't finish the model in the time frame of the GB. It didn't help to learn during this build that the Trumpeter kit unfortunately has more wrong than right. :(

I don’t know why, but I do like the look of the Hawker Sea Hawk, so I have a go in building the Trumpeter kit in 1/48. And as I like the special markings used during the Suez crisis, I am building an FGA.4 from 810 Squadron flying from HMS Albion during December 1956.
SH-XE335-1a.jpg

The aircraft is XE335. I found two pictures of this particular aircraft. On the first picture all looks like it should be.
SH-XE335-1b.jpg

But the second picture, which shows XE335 from the other side, transiting through Istres in France in November 1956, has the number 4 for some reasons much wider!
SH-XE335-2.jpg

And here is the kit.
SH-XE335-3.jpg

As I would like to add some detail to the kit, I spent a bit of time researching the type and the kit - an activity I enjoy as much as building the kit :D. I read lots of reviews and build reports. But as this is an older kit, there are not too many online reviews on the WEB and build reports aren't plentyfull either.

Some reviewer compare the kit in quality to Tamiya which I don’t agree with as the detail is a bit soft and not as refined as on a Tamiya kit. Fortunately the Sea Hawk is one of the better kits Trumpeter managed to make as the outline is to scale and captures the lines of the aircraft well. But unfortunately not the same can be said when it comes to details, so there is still ample of scope to improve.

Some areas which I feel can do with corrections are:
- The gun openings. They slant upwards and just look wrong.
- The cockpit air intakes.
- The Engine air intakes. The dividing plates aren’t strait.
- The front wheel undercarriage cover is positioned too far back.
- The air brakes. Even when closed they can be enhanced.
In addition, I will replace the cockpit and wheel bays with Aires resin parts.

Here is some of the information I found on the web:
Reviews:
Modeling Madness - some great building tips
IPMS Germany - in German

Build Reports:

Walkarounds:
Cybermodeler - FB.5 at Duxford
ScaleModels.RU - FB.5 at Duxford
ScaleModels.RU - FB.5 at Gatwick
ScaleModels.RU - FB.3 at Newark
Net-Maquettes - Mk.50 at Den Helder
IPMS Nederland - Mk.50 at Den Helder
Prime Portal - FB.5
Prime Portal - FGA.6
Thunder & Lighning - Various
Britmodeller - Various

Certainly no shortage on Walkaround information, but If you know any other links, please share them here.

Cheers, Peter
Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 16

welcome aboard Peter, and I must admit there is something about the Sea Hawk that does appeal to me!

The coding on the aircraft in those pictures does look a bit odd, as if they're added extra codes as required. From memory around that period 55-56 it was a bit of a transition stage in aircraft marking, leaving the war era style for the more modern.

It'll certainly be a nice looking model once you've do all the work required and that looks to be a bit.

Good luck with the build, I do hope you manage to get her completed in time as she will look nice.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great choice Peter

Welcome to the GB, I believe the Sea Hawk, is descended from the Sea Fury, so what's not to like !

Look forward to seeing this one develop.

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat. Yes, it had a bit of Sea Fury ancestry in the early development, but not much was left in the final design. But I too look forward seeing this kit progressing.

21 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Nice, doing the same for the Hawker GB. Very enjoyable kit, but I had trouble with the forward fuselage join.

Yes I have seen your build at the Hawker GB and it is coming along nicely. Did you correct the gun opening on your build? By the way, I wouldn't use the Trumpeter decals for the roundels as they all show a black rim around the blue (at least on all the pictures I have seen).

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard Peter, and I must admit there is something about the Sea Hawk that does appeal to me!

The coding on the aircraft in those pictures does look a bit odd, as if they're added extra codes as required. From memory around that period 55-56 it was a bit of a transition stage in aircraft marking, leaving the war era style for the more modern.

It'll certainly be a nice looking model once you've do all the work required and that looks to be a bit.

Good luck with the build, I do hope you manage to get her completed in time as she will look nice.

Thanks Rich. I will certainly incorporate the wonky number in my build (if it gets this far) whatever the reason for it is.

I think I do need all the luck I can get to finish the model!

Cheers, Peter

The prettiest fighter ever to serve in any force. Good to see you doing one here. 

Be careful with the air guide vanes inside the intakes, these were actually curved.

Colin 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Colin W said:

The prettiest fighter ever to serve in any force. Good to see you doing one here. 

Be careful with the air guide vanes inside the intakes, these were actually curved.

Colin 

It is indeed a very clean design. Yes I intend to correct the air intake vanes even though they can't be seen.

I found a better picture of the aircraft and I updated the first post. I also learned that this airframe is actually an FGA.4 and not an FGA.6 which means one less bump on the fuselage to worry about.

There aren't many pictures of 810 Squadron Sea Hawks, but I found this shot showing the armament fitted (the last aircraft in the line-up).

SH-XE335-4.jpg

Are these 3" 60lb RP the same as used on WWII Typhoons or are they a different type?

Cheers, Peter

• Like 4

I spent a bit of time comparing the kit with the real deal. Shape wise, the kit is fine and captures the gracious lines of the Sea Hawk well. But unfortunately some details are simplified and other are just wrong.

Yes a good looking Sea Hawk can be built from this kit as many of the "Ready for Inspection" entries show. My intention was just to build the dam thing and get on with it. But I just can't do it :( I have to say that the research and the challenge to correct errors is part of the satisfaction for me to make a model.

And here is what I found:

SH-XE335-5.jpg

20mm cannon opening on the original.

And on the kit.
SH-XE335-6.jpg

Where is the opening... And the angle looks more appropriate for  "Schräge Musik" than for forward firing canons. In addition, they are to close together as well.

Jet air intake on the original.

SH-XE335-7.jpg

And on the kit.

SH-XE335-8.jpg

The dividers should be curved, not evenly spaced and are recessed.

Cockpit vents intakes on the original.

SH-XE335-9.jpg

And on the kit.

SH-XE335-10.jpg

Opening them wouldn't hurt.

Above picture also shows another challenge.

Canopy on the original.

SH-XE335-11.jpg

No curvature here.

And on the kit.

SH-XE335-12.jpg

How do I correct this :huh:

I also read that the front wheel bay is to far back. The box cover painting does show it as it is on the kit.

SH-XE335-17.jpg

P1070160.JPG

And this is how it should look like.

I did enlarge the 4+ Publication 1/72 drawings by 1.5 to 1/48 and the kit wheel bay is a perfect match and is where it should be.

SH-XE335-16.jpg

But it looks that the nose it to long and to wide, resulting in the wrong look. Fortunately reshaping the nose is much easier than moving the wheel bay ;). I am not a great fan in using drawings as there is no guarantee that the drawing is correct. But these drawings match the kit outline and panel line placement very well - kind of like Trumpeter used them to make the kit. Still prefer using pictures to compare a kit to.

There are some other parts which can do with some corrections.

SH-XE335-14.jpg

The trim tap is missing on the right aileron and the separation from wing to aileron should be more pronounced than just the size of a panel line. In addition, the wing trailing edge can do with some thinning as it is rather thick.

SH-XE335-15.jpg

Using the Aires resin wheel bays, the wheel bay edges can do with some thinning to a more scale like look as they are a bit thick on the kit.

These are the major points I found which would surely enhance the model if corrected. So I better get cracking:D

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 6

I did get cracking today - actually it was scraping for most of the time :huh:

I had a go at thinning the wheel bay edges.

SH-XE335-18.jpg

Right side done.

And here from the other side.

SH-XE335-19.jpg

It does make a difference.

I then decided to use the kits inner wheel bay covers as they fitted much better than the Aires equivalent which have great internal details, but can't be seen as they are normally closed when on the ground.

SH-XE335-20.jpg

Inside I used some strengthening strips to make sure they stay put.

SH-XE335-21.jpg

Then more thinning was in place to accommodate the Aires wheel bay.

SH-XE335-22.jpg

That is it for the moment. Hope to progress a bit further during the week.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 9

Got a bit further in this build. Needed a bit of a brake with wheel bays, so I had a go at the cockpit.

SH-XE335-23.jpg

The kit part is ready to come off and it will be replaced with the resin part to the right.

SH-XE335-24.jpg

Back to thinning plastic in preparation of the Aires side panels.

SH-XE335-25.jpg

But first I finished the cockpit ventilation openings.

SH-XE335-26.jpg

And here the side panels in place after attaching them with epoxy glue.

And the next step is to straighten the cockpit opening.

SH-XE335-27.jpg

SH-XE335-11.jpg

It should work and needs minimal rework on the clear canopy parts.

Back to the wheel bays.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 12

On 3/29/2018 at 10:53 AM, Tony C said:

Looking good, I'll follow along :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard Tony, but it will be a slow ride :(

On 3/29/2018 at 12:51 PM, trickyrich said:

really nice work as usual Peter, the new vents look awesome

Thanks Rich. Just scratched the surface (or better holed the surface) and still a very long way to go.

Cheers, Peter

6 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Great work on the Seahawk. Will follow with interest. 

Thanks Threadbear. I hope I wont disappoint.

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Love this kind of work ! At the same time I'm a bit disappointed as I believed the Trumpeter kit to be more accurate, I'll keep a close eye on your corrections here

I too thought that this will be a straight forward build as I read mainly positives about the kit. And all in all, it isn't a bad kit, just a bit lacking in the details department. But as mentioned before, I do enjoy the challenge in correcting things and adding details.

I manage to make good progress today and I continued sorting out the cockpit contour.

SH-XE335-28.jpg

Left straightened and right as it was.

And here both sides straightened.

SH-XE335-29.jpg

There is still a slight bend, but no longer noticeable.

SH-XE335-30.jpg

And here with the canopy.

SH-XE335-31.jpg

The rear is sitting on top of the rear part of the cockpit.

And here with open canopy.

SH-XE335-32.jpg

Doesn't look too bad compared to the real cockpit

SH-XE335-33.jpg

SH-XE335-34.jpg

By lowering the sides, the opening became a bit wider, making the canopy narrow looking.

SH-XE335-35.jpg

But fortunately this is actually to scale as the original had a seal filling the gap.

SH-XE335-36.jpg

Lucky me :D

I am pleased how it looks now and the correction isn't too difficult.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice work Peter, you nailed it!

Thanks Rich, but I feel I opened a can of worms - I hope this will end well.

Today I needed a change from sanding and scraping, so I payed some attention to the wings.

SH-XE335-37.jpg

Thinning the trailing edges was the first task.

Next was enhancing the aileron separation with a scriber

SH-XE335-38.jpg

Does look a bit more like it in comparison to what the kit offers.

SH-XE335-39.jpg

Scribing the missing trim tab was next.

SH-XE335-40.jpg

The bottom wing part has it in place, so it looks like it got forgotten on the top.

Then I could finally do one of my favored tasks.

SH-XE335-41.jpg

Adding rivets. They will be rather gentle and hard to see. The rear wing has them in place.

And here with a wash applied.

SH-XE335-42.jpg

I didn't find a scale drawing showing rivet placements, so I used this cut-away drawing instead.

SH-XE335-42b.jpg

Also modified the airbrakes.

SH-XE335-43.jpg

They have this trailing ridge as the flaps are actually shorter as can be seen here.

P1070155.JPG

Will tinker with the cannon opening next.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 11

21 hours ago, trickyrich said:

But I can't see any rivets in the photo of the real aircraft! :D

Rich, you just don't look hard enough ;)

SH-XE335-44a.jpg

No rivets here, I admit.

SH-XE335-44b.jpg

But they are there - a rivets galore here :D And I can use even my HGW positive rivets on the rudder :thumbsup:

But the rivets on the kit will be hardly visible when the model is finished. So you wonder why I bother. Well, I just like adding them - it is a very soothing task for me :violin:

But lets move on to something more visible - the cannon openings.

SH-XE335-45.jpg

Just got a feel for it what needs to be done

SH-XE335-46.jpg

It became soon clear that creating a realistic opening needs more than just drill a hole :hmmm:

SH-XE335-47.jpg

What did I do :wall: Doesn't look too good :huh:

I think it is time for plan B

SH-XE335-48b.jpg

Stupid me, I forgot to widen the separation when cutting the opening - looks better now.

But it needed some internal support.

SH-XE335-49.jpg

And after using my "home-brew" of super glue with talcum powder to fill all the gaps.

SH-XE335-50.jpg

This looks more like it, but will have to wait until tomorrow how it will shape up when sanding it all back.

Looks I make a real good mess of this kit - why can't I build them straight out of the box :crying:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I've done "plan B" before, it's usually the best way to go in cases like this, I do like your CA & Talc mix, may have to try that.

4 hours ago, Basilisk said:

But the rivets on the kit will be hardly visible when the model is finished. So you wonder why I bother. Well, I just like adding them - it is a very soothing task for me :violin:

You do know there's therapy for that! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I've done "plan B" before, it's usually the best way to go in cases like this, I do like your CA & Talc mix, may have to try that.

Good to hear Rich that plan B should work as it is my first time.

CA and Talcum powder is in my view the best filler. You can vary the hardness with the amount of Talcum powder you add. It sticks like glue, so doesn't come off and it can be shaped to a sharp edge and scribing panel lines on it works well too. So give it a try on the Vigilante build as it is perfect on resin kits too.

And yes, I am pleased to say that plan B did work.

SH-XE335-53.jpg

SH-XE335-52.jpg

Still have to scribe the panel lines around each opening, but will apply a coat of primer first to get a more uniform background.

Also did a bit more work on the cockpit.

SH-XE335-54.jpg

Having the IP and gun sight at the correct position made it necessary to move the Aires resin part a bit to the rear.

This unfortunately created a bit of a gap I have to eliminate now.

SH-XE335-55.jpg

Then it was back to the wheel bay.

SH-XE335-56.jpg

Seems silly to thin it all just to glue plastic strips back on it :wall:

But there is a reason for the madness.

SH-XE335-57.jpg

It created the step the wheel covers sit on when closed.

SH-XE335-62b.jpg

Also there is a crazy amount of pluming in the wheel bay!

Aires created a good job of this but I thought it can do with a bit more.

SH-XE335-58.jpg

And that how it looks after 'taming' the wires.

SH-XE335-59.jpg

As I thinned the wheel bay, I also had to extend some parts with plastic strips to eliminate gaps.

And temporary together.

SH-XE335-60.jpg

SH-XE335-61.jpg

Here a comparison between the kit and the Aires resin wheel bay.

SH-XE335-63.jpg

SH-XE335-64.jpg

Now I have to decide what colour to paint the interior - silver, sky or Hawker Yellow. Most likely go for silver.

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 10

Really lovely work Peter!!!

Hopefully some of those watching this build will pick up some of your tricks, as they are really nice.

Am enjoying watching this build progress. :thumbsup:

• Like 1