Decal storage.

Head in the clouds.

With the stash ever growing many of my models will not be built for decades(if ever:mellow:) so what is the best way to store and preserve decals. At the moment I leave all kit decals in the box and then box is stored in a dark cupboard/unit. Any after market decals are stored in a plastic pocket and then in a lever storage box, at all times the decals are also stored in the packaging(except envelope  ) they were supplied with.

I did even think about one of those vacuum storage bags but unsure if there is any advantage to be gained from this.

Any thought would be helpful.

Many thanks,

Gary.

A selection of different sized zip lock bags available from stationers will sort the ones in your kit boxes, for after market sheets, those that don't already come in zip lock bacgs get put in them & then into plastic storage bins with a press on air tight lid. I've got quite a few. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Hello. 

An interesting subject.

I have been storing my a/market decal sheets in their original zip-lock bags and then placed in ring-binders, with plastic bags around the binders to keep the dust off. Touch wood, so far I've has seen no signs of obvious deterioration. Having said that, decals do age like everything else (however they're stored). Your decals' two worst enemies are sunlight and humidity.

If you're using any decals that are more than 10 years old, then two coats of Microscale Decal Film before use would be obligitary, IMHO.  

Hope this helps.

Chris. 

• Like 1

To me it is as all the decals i have stored are still usable, i have used a 14 year old set on my Sea fury from aeromaster decals!

And bought these from a big shop which store these very well.

Never did the trick on my decals with that liquid decal film.

My experience is that if your decals are older and the paper carrier bend a few times or has been stored bended the most tend to crack and when you put these in hot water they fall apart.

So ceep em flat and in their original packaging or repack them in ziplockbags and keep em in a stable preferrably dark environment really helps..

My experience with older secondhand bought bended decals has been bad a few times as these had some serious milliscule cracks in them that rendered these almost useless.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Thanks Steve, is that the key word then "air tight" ?

I guess airtightish is closer to it, mine are 5 litre storage containers which have semi flexible lids that push down over a rim,  if its not airtight it would be very nearly so.

Steve

• Like 2

I have 30 years of decals stored in my collection. I use plastic baggies placed in labeled plastic sleeves held in 3 ring binders. I have 4 seperate binders one each for WW2 single engine types, WW2 multi engines, Jet fighters, and one for Miscellaneous subjects. Theyre catalogued by nationality, then aircraft Type in each binder. 

• Like 2

I keep my decals in files with plastic pockets and keep a list of the kits and in which file the decals are stored, unless the decals in the kit are in sealed bags, in these cases the decals are left in the kit boxes.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Their are so many kits on the market(and I do mean A LOT) now for sale, lacking decals/transfers.......I see many requests on THIS site alone of people asking for decals as they recently purchased from Ebay, the nationals @ Telford, Sunday markets, second hand shops, etc, etc (one lad last week on this site was asking for the decals for THREE kits purchased from Ebay lacking transfers which he had purchased as a scrap job lot - and he got them!)...........all to be found wanting decal sheets.  Why dont you chaps put them in the air tight bag and "replace them in the kit?".

In the 50 plus years I have been modelling I have never removed transfers from box, they all remain in situ and I have never had a problem.  I keep most of my models(about 100 plus) either in the loft or garage................which are well insultated.  Seems a lot of experiences modellers are resposible for the reason we are missing decals. 

What happens when any of you leave this mortal coil?   The first thing your next of kin will do will be to get rid of your collection through various auction sites or charity shops, or even take them down the tip................with that done, eventually somebody will come across a folder full of decal sheets..........Your next of kin have no idea what they are or what they belong to, so, those go in the dustbin.............................the three "P"s spring to mind here?  pisss, Poor, Planning...................ideally to create more work for the individuals and next of kin  you could stick a "post it" note on the outside of the box saying "decals in transfer folder"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Some good common sense on display there Ray, probably never catch on though. ;):D

Steve.

I know its good common sense Steve and as they say "Bad habits die hard" As mentioned earlier I have been modelling for 50 plus years and storing decals was around then and still is, proof of that by the number of kit decals for sale on Ebay and the number of people asking for missing kit decals, especially on this site.........I remember last years nations at the kit sale a big "who are" about kits being sold without decals, probably down to the owners of the kits not giving a thought to replacing the decals from storage folders into their respective kits.

Happy modelling Steve

• Like 1

Here is my hi tech method of storing transfers 

26085252547_a4d212526a_b.jpg

and the contents

27086471888_0a25a36476_b.jpg

The box has been in my garage for about 30 years and all the contents, when chosen for use have worked impeccably.

So My tip for storage? A cardboard box and a cold garage!

Trevor

2 hours ago, rayprit said:

I know its good common sense Steve and as they say "Bad habits die hard" As mentioned earlier I have been modelling for 50 plus years and storing decals was around then and still is, proof of that by the number of kit decals for sale on Ebay and the number of people asking for missing kit decals, especially on this site.........I remember last years nations at the kit sale a big "who are" about kits being sold without decals, probably down to the owners of the kits not giving a thought to replacing the decals from storage folders into their respective kits.

Happy modelling Steve

Its not something I've come across out here,we don't have any shows to speak of around my way but it is something I'm wary of having seen plenty of mention of it on here, if I'm bidding or buying from, ebay & it isn't clear I'll ask the question. Pretty much all my kits have their decals stored with them, damp is not a problem where they are & I've not found any issues but A M decals get the sealed canisters as above. 

Steve