Hertz Shelby Mustang

This one is Revell's 1/25 2006 Hertz Shelby Mustang, just built out of the box so nothing too out of the ordinary. I completed it last April, and it was my first car build in quarter of a century, so please don't judge too harshly^_^ It's also the first spray painted model I've done, as well as being the first one I've used a wash on so it has been a bit of a learning process.

As for the kit, it's probably gone together better than any of the other (three!) that I've worked on since getting back into the hobby with nothing that really stands out as requiring particular work other than having to glue in the wheel pins as they were a bit loose as floppy. The issues I had with the kit were very much down to operator error rather than issues with the kit itself.

So, time for a few pics:camera:. I do appear to have had a bit of an attack of the dust monster when I took these, even to the extent of the blob of dust right in the middle of the lens :doh:

First up, a standard front quarter view. And it also shows far too well how I managed to sand through the clear coat and skin the side-stripe decal while I was polishing. Definitely one of the lessons learned on this model.

40847358921_e9cfec4b9d_c.jpgShelby Mustang  on Flickr

Moving backwards, that decal issue is even more obvious. I also made a bit of a mess of the decal around the number plate, and the colour match between the gold touch up and the gold decal is pretty awful. I'm pleased to say that it seems that I have improved with my decalling since this car.:) This was also the first time it became obvious that windows are going to be my bette noir, and there are far too many times where it feels as though the windows hate me. On the Mustang, the rear window popped out while I was cleaning it before fixing the body on the chassis and took out a chip of paint and decal. I've done the best I could to stick it back, but you can see the damage in this pic.

40847372271_a4321901f4_c.jpgShelby Mustang on Flickr

It's a similar story viewed from the other side, and it anything the issues with the poor colour match on the rear decal repair are more obvious than the previous photo.

26977654958_ee634acafd_c.jpgShelby Mustang  on Flickr

And onto the last quarter view, which shows that I also managed to skin this side decal as well. Despite that, I still feel this is the angle which shows off the car to its best

26977663158_1085876005_c.jpgHertz Mustang  on Flickr

I thought I'd show one from the front too since this the grille was my first attempt at adding a wash. Tried to clean it up and stripped the chrome in one part by mistake, but I went over that area with the Molotow pen, rewashed it and can't tell where I messed up. I have to say that the Molotow pen is superb, provided the surface below is suitably prepped.

39038019880_ca871a8553_c.jpgShelby Mustang  on Flickr

A couple of interior shots, just because I'm quite pleased with how it turned out in here (badly lined up masking tape aside!). My only gripe with the kit in here is that the join between the seats goes right through the seat handle in the headrest making filling the gap in this area to a decent standard a bit beyond my talents. The photos also show another thing I learned from this build - Revell clear spray has a really nice shine, but seems to react to the oil in my skin. I had to polish finger marks off the door panels out and was quite successful there, but unfortunately the damage to the finish above the doors was too great. Cotton gloves for me from now on when handling finished paint jobs...

25975968357_9ff9fabda0_c.jpgShelby Mustang  on Flickr

40847416431_9417d35a46_c.jpgShelby Mustang  on Flickr

And finally, the engine bay. I was pleased with the way this turned out - why to the best bits have to be where nobody sees them?

40847407201_89aac7b042_c.jpgEngine Bay on Flickr

Looking back at this, it sounds as though I'm not happy with the build, but in truth I was pleased with the outcome. So long as you don't look too closely, it looks pretty presentable and I'm happy to have it in the cabinet. It's also nice to be able to say that I have been able to put lessone learned into progress on later builds which is another good thing for me. Just hope I haven't gone too overboard with the photos.

Edited by Spiny
Doubled pic
  • Like 15

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yes, it's a Hertz 'rentaracer' after a hectic weekend.

The original ones, I've read, suffered worse than yours.

A nice result. Please keep them coming.

Something like this (granted it's not a 'real' Hertz)?

39992402635_1b477a9540_c.jpgFord Mustang on Flickr

From what I could gather, the standard trick with the original Hertz GT350H was to hire one for the weekend, swap the engine into another Mustang, race that, then put the engine back in before returning the cars to Hertz. I'm not in the least bit surprised if a few were raced straight from Hertz though.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, much appreciated. But I have to disagree on the Fiestas - if there was a model of a roadgoing one I'd buy it like a shot to emulate my day-to-day car:) As it is, I've had to make do with adding the Belkits rally version to the stash.

Edited by Spiny
Random 'b' appearing
  • Sad 1

Good lookin' car Spiny. Like Alan, I'm definitely a Mustang fan. I've owned 4 of 'em with 3 of those being '67 Coupes and the last on being an '89 LX Coupe. I had ALOT of fun in that LX!!

Looking forward to more of your builds.

• Like 1