Bf-110, Minicraft 1/144

Here's the Minicraft 1/144 Bf-110 I finished last weekend.  It was an enjoyable build, but the model's fit wasn't very good. I chose the kit after I'd read an IPMS member review that said the fit was very good.  I don't know what I did wrong, but the seam on the bottom where the wings met the fuselage was pretty bad and I had to fill with super glue and sand smooth.  The bottom and top halves of the engine nacelles were mis-aligned so that there was over lap.  I sanded these flush.

The bright side of this kit was there was no raised detail and very little engraved detail, so I could sand the seams without any fear of removing detail!

In retrospect I should've done this in 1/72, but I got the minicraft kit in a fit of nostalgia: when I was 13 I wanted the Revell "Squadron 144" Bf-110 in the worst way and never got it. 

Not much else to say. This is Rudolf Hess' Bf-110. I primered with Mr. Surfacer 1500 black and used Mr. Color paints. Minicraft got the paint colors wrong for this scheme.  They showed two different schemes, but listed the same colors for both.  I did some research and determined the scheme was RLM 74/75/76 with RLM 70/74/02 mottling.

yVjH2QZ.jpg?1

The out-of-scale over spray in the mottling is more evident in the pictures than to the naked eye.

MFLdtp8.jpg?1

I'm still figuring out the wash: it's still a tad darker than I would've liked, but now I know it darkens when dull cote is sprayed on it, so I'll do it lighter next time! :)

YUNFbpj.jpg?1

I should note that the gun in the back of the canopy didn't come with the kit.  I had to make it myself.

QC5ld5S.jpg?1

The other gripe I have about the kit is the gear bay doors.  They are molded shut and you have to cut them apart if you are going to do a "gears-down" model.  The plastic is very thick and results in gear doors that would probably be a foot thick in real life.  I suppose you could sand them thinner, but holding on to them is a challenge because of their small size!

UfDUhUm.jpg?1

• Like 14

Your Zerstörer looks good to me but I didn't think German aircraft had yellow tipped propeller blades. (but I can be wrong; perhaps they were exceptions.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, polo1112 said:

Your Zerstörer looks good to me but I didn't think German aircraft had yellow tipped propeller blades. (but I can be wrong; perhaps they were exceptions.)

Thanks for the feedback!  When I was painting them, I had a nagging feeling that yellow tips weren't right, but forgot to check.  Thanks for reminding me... if they weren't yellow tipped, it's an easy fix... :)

That canopy framing is fantastic ! Never in a million years could I do that .

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FLCH said:

That canopy framing is fantastic ! Never in a million years could I do that .

Thanks!  I masked it in one direction, and when the paint was dry I masked it in the other direction.  A magnifying glass (and lots of patience) was indispensable!

9 hours ago, polo1112 said:

All my research shows that you are right!  Thanks for pointing that out -- it's an easy fix. :)

On 18/03/2018 at 9:24 AM, polo1112 said:

Glad to see you fixed the error that polo pointed out, I have to admit I was too busy feasting my eyes on your glorious mottling & camo to notice mere bagatelles like yellow prop tips. (You did do the props in RLM 70 I hope. :D;) ) That is a tryly super job & I could easily have pictured it as being 1/72.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2018 at 11:40 PM, stevehnz said:

Glad to see you fixed the error that polo pointed out, I have to admit I was too busy feasting my eyes on your glorious mottling & camo to notice mere bagatelles like yellow prop tips. (You did do the props in RLM 70 I hope. :D;) ) That is a tryly super job & I could easily have pictured it as being 1/72.

Steve.

Thanks!  Yes, I did do the props in RLM 70.  I don't know how I missed the prop tips, but that's why I like being here -- people are happy to help out!

• Like 1