Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane

zebra

I'm going to join in this GB with an Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane. This is going to be a fairly straightforward, mostly straight from the box build (I have some Brassin exhausts and Eduard seatbelts to add, but that will be all the aftermarket I use), using the kit decals - I'm in need of a good straightforward build to help me keep up with all the group builds I want to enter, before I know it the carriers and RAF 100th GBs will have started and I'll be struggling to keep up!

Box shot is below. I've made a start today, assembled quite a lot of the interior and primed it, ready for some aluminium paint tomorrow. I discovered the lower wing in the kit is warped - not so badly that it isn't usable, but in the interest of getting on with things I've used the lower wing from the Hurricane I kit, and I'll try to fix the warped wing when I get round to building that one. I'll add a progress photo when I've got some paint on the interior parts tomorrow.

Next project - 1/48 Sea Hurricane

• Like 6

Welcome to the GB and thank you for joining us Z. The Hurricane is, in my opinion quite rightly, proving a popular subject but it's great to see the lesser known Sea Hurricane getting attention.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Col. said:

great to see the lesser known Sea Hurricane getting attention.

Thanks for the welcome Col. Whilst I'm interested in the Hurricane and it's a very important aircraft historically, I've never been particularly interested in the dark green/dark earth/sky scheme on Spits and Hurricanes, but I like the temperate sea scheme so the Sea Hurricane works for me.

I've now assembled most of the internal bits and started painting. This will probably have a closed cockpit so I'm not going overboard on painting and weathering, but will give it a wash. I'll also add an Eduard steel seatbelt. Here's how it's looking tonight:

Sea Hurricane WIP

• Like 5

You're off to a great start there Z :speak_cool:

Like you I'm no great fan of the early green/brown/sky scheme on Hurricanes. It's always seemed drab and too common to me personally but at least the Hurricane saw action in so many theaters there's a wide variety of other schemes to choose from :) 

2 hours ago, Col. said:

You're off to a great start there Z :speak_cool:

Like you I'm no great fan of the early green/brown/sky scheme on Hurricanes. It's always seemed drab and too common to me personally but at least the Hurricane saw action in so many theaters there's a wide variety of other schemes to choose from :) 

Thanks Col

This looks like a very nice kit. I fancy a tropical one too. And perhaps something later - a Mk.II or Mk.IV.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zebra said:

Thanks Col

This looks like a very nice kit. I fancy a tropical one too. And perhaps something later - a Mk.II or Mk.IV.

It is and went together well with no issues from what I recall. If you do have time to follow it up with another Hurricane there's always room for it in this GB :) 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 8:45 AM, stevej60 said:

Good start Z, just kicking off the same kit,have youdecided on which scheme yet?

Thanks Steve. Not decided which scheme yet - if you've got a preference, go with it and I'll do the other one. 

I've made some fairly swift progress - fuselage and wings are now together - but as the cockpit will be closed I didn't spend a lot of time painting the interior. Everything has gone together fairly well - no trouble at all getting the cockpit framework into the fuselage - and the wing has gone on ok but left a blooming great step where the front of the lower wing meets the fuselage. The sanding stick has dealt with the step, I've accepted a loss of surface detail in a place where it isn't going to be all that noticeable so I can live with that. 

I like the cockpit framework - here's how it looked before the fuselage went on. The seatbelts are Eduard steel ones - first time I've used these, much better than the standard PE. The detail is nice, but it would be nice if the detail on the sidewalls was a little better.

Sea Hurricane WIP

And here's how it's looking tonight:

Sea Hurricane WIP

• Like 7

Cockpit look's great,if your bothered I,ve read on another build of the Sea Hurricane  that a round headrest was fitted on the bulkhead behind the pilot

I've scratched one by slicing off a bit of the round sprue from the kit wish I could find the thread as there was a couple of other small thing's.Looks like

the wing/fuselage has gone together well.

Edit.Check out Colin's build in this GB that's where mention of the headrest etc can be found.

Edited by stevej60

On 3/20/2018 at 8:54 PM, stevej60 said:

Cockpit look's great,if your bothered I,ve read on another build of the Sea Hurricane  that a round headrest was fitted on the bulkhead behind the pilot

I've scratched one by slicing off a bit of the round sprue from the kit wish I could find the thread as there was a couple of other small thing's.Looks like

the wing/fuselage has gone together well.

Edit.Check out Colin's build in this GB that's where mention of the headrest etc can be found.

Thanks Steve. I've added a bit of sprue to represent the headrest but not bothered with the box behind it, since the canopy on this one will be closed.

Also just noticed the deepest ever sink marks at the roots of the tailplanes!

• Like 1

On 22/03/2018 at 09:22, zebra said:

Also just noticed the deepest ever sink marks at the roots of the tailplanes!

I noticed them too and as I said in my WIP poorest fit of the four I've built.

19 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I noticed them too and as I said in my WIP poorest fit of the four I've built.

My tailplanes weren’t a great fit either. All in all though, it’s a pretty good kit. Got some primer on and did a bit of pre-shading today. Should get some sky on tomorrow.

• Like 1

Paint and gloss coat on, will be ready for decals tomorrow. I've used Gunze for the sky and Mr Paint for the dark slate grey and EDSG. I really like Mr Paint but don't really like their sky - it's a bit blue.

Sea Hurricane WIP

Thanks for looking 

Z

• Like 2

On 3/31/2018 at 8:24 PM, Col. said:

Your Sea Hurricane is looking smooth and a great base for the decals :goodjob: 

Thanks Col! It was a pretty good base for the decals - they went on with no trouble at all. From there it was a smooth run to the finish, and I'm calling this done. Just one photo here - I'll post more in the gallery. On to the RAF centenary GB now - but might have one more build for the Hawker GB if I get the time.

Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane

• Like 5

That looks great Zebra :goodjob:

I'm sensing that this was a useful 'sorbet' build - to refresh your palette after your more meaty Mil !

Cliff

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CliffB said:

That looks great Zebra :goodjob:

I'm sensing that this was a useful 'sorbet' build - to refresh your palette after your more meaty Mil !

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. Yes sorbet sums it up quite nicely - a bit of a contrast in quality from an Amodel kit!

• Like 1

Look's superb,I think your colour's are spot on too I really should start buying dedicated colour's rather than mixing as I do,but then I'm a known

tight wad(according to the missus),good to see the alternate scheme to this kit,well done Z.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Look's superb,I think your colour's are spot on too I really should start buying dedicated colour's rather than mixing as I do,but then I'm a known

tight wad(according to the missus),good to see the alternate scheme to this kit,well done Z.

Thanks Steve. I really liked Mr Paint, the colours look pretty good to me and they airbrush well - definitely worth trying.

• Like 1