Frog Barracuda on Tirpitz mission #FINISHED ! #

JOCKNEY

On 12/04/2018 at 2:51 PM, trickyrich said:

you've got mice in your stash!!

Is that a euphemism for something very inappropriate ?

You do realise as moderators we are supposed to set an example ! 

So so basically it's downhill all the way from now on then :winkgrin: 

edit : whoops wrong metaphor, I meant to saucy plain sailing !

Edited by JOCKNEY
Wrong metaphor !

On 12/04/2018 at 3:27 PM, trickyrich said:

:undecided:......... hmmmm ok.....

you're are assuming there is a hill to go down from down here!

Sorry Rich 

Wrong metaphor, meant to say plain sailing ! Sorry.

Talking of which the Jockney clan have all been invited out on a yacht tomorrow, assuming we don't sink, get shipwrecked or captured by pirates, I'll update the build tomorrow.

cheers Pat

Actually I managed to sneak a bit of time on the Barracuda today

IMG_3857

IMG_3856

As you can see a bit of filling required for wing / fuselage joins.

Also the space behind the engine air intake was going to be an issue, i.e. Looking at the pilots feet ! 

So I had a idea, why not blank this bit off and try to make it look presentable.

The answer (I hope) came to me when taking some tablets..

IMG_3855

I'll show you the result tomorrow, assuming I'm spared !

cheers Pat

• Like 7

hmmm pills, that's explains everything.... :D

glad to see you're making progress and the backing using the pill case is quite clever.

Just make sure the boat isn't called the SS Minnow! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

hmmm pills, that's explains everything.... :D

glad to see you're making progress and the backing using the pill case is quite clever.

Just make sure the boat isn't called the SS Minnow! 

Fortunately not

This is the boat 

http://www.sandemanyachtcompany.co.uk/yacht/481/buchanan-49-ft-bermudan-yawl-1962

If anyone fancies it, I know the owner so I might be able to haggle on the price on your behalf ;)

Rich if you're fancy it, we could bring it down to for you, might take a while as we will need to stock up on Haggis and Irn Bru for the trip !

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

Dad told me that to do the engine electrics in a Barracuda there was a way that a small guy could be squeezed down under the engine so not requiring a complete strip down/removal of the radiator.  You had to work your way in, in the position you were going to work and you had to have someone to help drag you out however, there were disadvantages, even with help it could take two minutes to drag you out.  In the event of a hanger fire on a carrier they would shut the fire curtains and start the sprayers in two minutes, in which case your assistant was to get out and you had to hope they got the fire out....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Dad told me that to do the engine electrics in a Barracuda there was a way that a small guy could be squeezed down under the engine so not requiring a complete strip down/removal of the radiator.  You had to work your way in, in the position you were going to work and you had to have someone to help drag you out however, there were disadvantages, even with help it could take two minutes to drag you out.  In the event of a hanger fire on a carrier they would shut the fire curtains and start the sprayers in two minutes, in which case your assistant was to get out and you had to hope they got the fire out....

I hope it was left to your mum to do the bedtime stories in your house !

I would love to know who had the idea of trying it for the first time and who of course was the original small guy ? At least they were a bit warmer than the swordfish having a closed canopy. Did either of them have cockpit heating ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I hope it was left to your mum to do the bedtime stories in your house !

I would love to know who had the idea of trying it for the first time and who of course was the original small guy ? At least they were a bit warmer than the swordfish having a closed canopy. Did either of them have cockpit heating ?

This was well before I came along and Dad was only small.  They wouldn't have needed cockpit heat as they were heading for Operation Olympic and if he survived Operation Coronet..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Fortunately not

This is the boat 

http://www.sandemanyachtcompany.co.uk/yacht/481/buchanan-49-ft-bermudan-yawl-1962

If anyone fancies it, I know the owner so I might be able to haggle on the price on your behalf ;)

Rich if you're fancy it, we could bring it down to for you, might take a while as we will need to stock up on Haggis and Irn Bru for the trip !

cheers Pat

now worries I'll look for somewhere to park it? Though I can't see where you tie the rope to go water skiing with? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness me, has it really been that long since I tormented some plastic !

First of all the Jockney patent pending grill turned out like this...

IMG_3858

I think I will need to paint it as it looks a bit 1950's Cadillac at the moment.

Fitst of all the application of some black paint on the prop and the torpedo. As you can see I also still need to finish painting the crew.

IMG_3859

This is the underside so far, I was worried about the undercarriage as the parts fit seem a bit vague if I'm honest. However it seems to work well as you can see in the picture below

IMG_3860

The hole and slot underneath is the fitting for the torpedo, but also doubles up for the stand. The only problem I can see with the undercarriage is I think the main legs look like they need to be pulled apart as they appear to be a bit pinched.

Final photo shows the still to be painted grill with the prop painted. I started painting the underside in Sky last night, after being undecided on what was the right colour for ages I went for RLM76, I am sure this will prove to be incorrect so if there is a better colour, please let me know now !

IMG_3861

Cheers Pat

• Like 7

nice of you to join us again Pat!!  I can forgive your tardiness by you clever radiator, once painted it should look great.

It took me a while to wok out how that gear works....most bizarre. Judging by that frontend shot and with the wing dihedral, the main gear should be a bit wider so that the wheel axis's are parallel to the ground. Hopefully you can adjust that with too much issue.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice of you to join us again Pat!!  I can forgive your tardiness by you clever radiator, once painted it should look great.

It took me a while to wok out how that gear works....most bizarre. Judging by that frontend shot and with the wing dihedral, the main gear should be a bit wider so that the wheel axis's are parallel to the ground. Hopefully you can adjust that with too much issue.

Thanks Rich

Yes I agree the gear just doesn't  look right at the moment, hopefully it's bendable rather than mendable !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Next stop painting, not looking forward to that blooming canopy !

As an alternative to masking and painting the canopy could you consider making the canopy frames from painted Sellotape (I'm sure other brands are available) sliced to the width of the canopy frames. Then stick over the top of the moulded canopy frames.  You just need to make sure you get the colour change in the right place..  You might need to seal with future afterwards.  Might be a little easier perhaps... 

I have done it before for the sliding portion of a Fulmar Observers cockpit in 1/48 where I needed to slide the canopy inside the front portion.  Looks OK for that...

• Like 2

A slight variation would be to rattlecan spray a clear transfer sheet with the appropriate colour and then slice to width using a new blade.

The ‘Barra’ should be done by Airfix!

Trevor

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I might afraid the poor old Barracuda has been neglected recently, far too many builds on the go spread over lots of GBs.

I have finally got round to doing some painting to try and restore my modelling mojo after my Curtiss Hawk painting shambles in the MTO GB. Still not masked the blooming enormous canopy yet however !

Pictures later today

cheers Pat

OMG an update from Pat! :gobsmacked:

I wasn't sure if the second coming was going to happen first, though I've had a bet each way. :D Though I'm wondering if I may still loose the bet!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trickyrich said:

OMG an update from Pat! :gobsmacked:

I wasn't sure if the second coming was going to happen first, though I've had a bet each way. :D Though I'm wondering if I may still loose the bet!

It's only you're continuing support that keeps me going ;)

• Like 1

awww, I'm touched :D

I know you're cheating on other GB's, it use to be just me but now you just can't help yourself!

so enough is enough, it's time to get back to where you belong :whip:

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Started on the cockpit cover framing last night, blooming Nora there's lots of it !

pictures tonight, it's going to be a bit close to call to finish this, good luck every one

cheers Pat

• Like 1