ETO P-51D Bare Nose

galfa

Hi,

In these days I am building a 1/48 Tamiya P-51D. Time has come to choose in which markings finishing this model. I am looking for an ETO natural metal Mustang with a bare front fuselage and spinner, something that seems common for the Mustang deployed in the Pacific but not in Europe. Can you help?

Best,

Edited by galfa

In Europe, the forward fuselage and spinner were used to carry the identification markings for the Fighter Group in the USAAF and (later) the squadron for the RAF and RCAF.  So you won't find any bare examples, except from the time in the RAF after the adoption of bare metal and before the adoption of squadron colours US-style?  I think that I've seen examples from the Polish units in 1945-46.

I was going to suggest 479th FG but Philippe already did. I recently built the HB 1/72 P-51D as Yakima Chief of 434th FS of the same Group, all natural metal except for the red rudder (and of course the silver painted wings). Even the spinner was in polished natural metal

On page 132 of 'The mighty 8th in colour' is a photo of a newly arrived P51D 413557 devoid of any squadron marking. Just the black recognition bands on the wings and tail. However the spinner appears to be black.

Edit: Actually here's the photo

http://www.ww2color.com/search/webapps/slides/slides.php?action=update&primary_key=03193

Edited by noelh

303 Squadron was the only polish squadron to be equipped with the P-51D model. They had exactly two, KH663 and KH669. Both were camouflaged. All the rest were P-51Ks with Aeroproducts propellers and so called ‘Dallas Hood’ and unpainted. I think this was common in the RAF. ‘D’ models were delivered camouflaged and ‘K’ models natural metal.

On the 6th July 1945 the British Government withdrew recognition of the Polish Government in exile. Polish squadrons ceased to belong to the PAF and were transferred to the RAF.  Soon after 303 Squadron were notified to change their squadron codes from RF to PD. No reason was given. It was greatly resented by the squadron who felt it was an insult and even deliberately malicious. From this time onwards chessboards and the squadron badge were not applied to any new aircraft taken on charge by the squadron.

Model Maker have released a set of decals for 303 Squadron Mustangs.

Edited by 303sqn