1/72 sword f2h 2 banshee

Mike Esposito

Mike,

The Airfix F2H-2 is also a very good kit, even though it was released in the 80's, IIRC. Outline and dimensions were very good, and it had a combination of raised and scribed panel lines. I started one years ago, and it went together pretty well, but you will need to make sure you dry fit the wings to the fuselage and do some adjusting, as there is a mismatch in the depth of the wing and the wingroot, as I recall. Tailspin Turtle did a very comprehensive modelers guide for the F2H-1 through F2H-4, which I refer to all the time. I have attached a link to his article below- I hope he won't mind. The Sword kit is also very good, being scribed and has a better cockpit, but I actually liked the landing gear struts and doosr better on the Airfix kit- a little crisper in detail. I would use an aftermarket bang seat for either kit. TT can probably tell you a lot more, if he sees this.  It and the F9F were both beautiful golden age weenie cookers! (If you are interested, Academy and Hobbycraft both did F2H-3's.)

Mike

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2009/12/f2h-banshee-modeling-notes.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Thanks.

Looks as if I'll have to go with Airfix as I can't find the Sword kit anywhere. :worry:

I think I read that they are getting ready to re-release it.

Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

I can't speak for accuracy but I really enjoyed building the Airfix Banshee, looks good and the visible details look crisp.

From memory I think you need to construct wheel wells, if you're really fussy.

Not really, as I think the main fairing doors are closed unless the undercart is being extended or retracted. Need to detail the nose gear bay, though, and the area at the back of the canopy and behind the seat when the canopy is opened. IIRC Tailspin Turtle had photos of that area and the Ginter Naval Fighters Banshee book, as well.

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Esposito said:

That's great news....where did you see that?:fingerscrossed:

Well, it appears I misspoke, Mike- it is the F3D Skyknight that Sword is re-releasing; my apologies! I'm sure the Banshees will follow, as they sure sold out quickly!

Mike