A question from the shelf of dom

cocky05d

Paid a visit to the shelf of doom ,found the above kit .

Is it worth getting a Eduard cockpit set for it ? It has a mix of raised and engraved panel lines .

Is it worth spending some dosh and time on it ?

Thanks for any help.

David .

Edited by cocky05d

I‘m neither expert in MiG-27s nor in what Italeri has reboxed over the years, but your description sounds like it‘s the Esci, dating from 1978 or 9. Models of Soviet aircraft whose moulds were developed in that period tend to have involved a large amount of guesswork. But over to the ones knowing better.

David Sorry if I'm somewhat puzzled but I can't understand this type of thread. You obviously bought it for a good reason, do you think it's worth the cockpit set or are you throwing good money after bad?. If some of the panel lines are recessed then you won't have to rescribe those(bonus). At the end of the day it's your thoughts on the merits of the kit that count, as long as it's enjoyable. Best Chris

2 hours ago, cocky05d said:

Don't know what a clip of Sean (Scotland for ever ,but i live somewhere warm )Connery got to do with my post.

According to the title of the thread we're talking about dom, so I thought James Bond's opinion on the proper temperature for a bottle of dom was appropriate.  He may have been slightly off on the Beatles though.

Regards,

Murph

Build it and have some fun......Is it worth the extra effort to update it???? Don't know, maybe YES if you (like me) enjoy that kind of old school modelling. As said before, it's an old ESCI mould, with next to zero cockpit detail, soft raised panel lines (some engraved, some suddenly stopped in the middle of nowhere..), and (surely) with some shape inaccuracies, but.....Who cares..??? build it , and enjoy the trip....Sometimes, I think those old, inaccurate kits, give us the chance to test new techniques, or even the chance to let our imagination fly, and build them as whiffers....

Cheers....

Edited by Artie
  • Like 1

My 2 cents: it's an old kit, designed when information on Soviet aircrafts was not too good and as a consequence it is seriously inaccurate. Esci used as many parts as possible from the previous MiG-23, forgetting that the 27 has quite a lot of differences in intakes and other areas. Then they added a new nose that is totally wrong, with the clear parts very, very wrong.

Now the thing is: are you interested in the subject ? If so you'll be very disappointed when looking at your model so maybe it would be better to save the money for a more modern MiG-27 kit (and you may as well sell your Italeri one)

Are you not particularly interested in the MiG-27 but want to build the kit anyway ? In this case I would probably not bother with spending too much cash. If the Eduard set is cheap, then go for it, the original kit has almost no detail in the cockpit and some PE parts will make a big difference. If however the set is not cheap then I would probably use the kit as a "canvas" onto which practicing some scratchbuilding with plasticard and rod.

16 hours ago, Murph said:

According to the title of the thread we're talking about dom, so I thought James Bond's opinion on the proper temperature for a bottle of dom was appropriate.  He may have been slightly off on the Beatles though.

Regards,

Murph

Doom ,not Dom lol.