Airfix Me109E - Battle of Britain No.2

Hi again,

Part 2 in the ongoing collection... Hopefully lots to come, Spit Mk1 nearly done and the Revell Ju88 has crept onto the bench too :smirk:

The lovely Airfix 1/72 109E... Super kit.. few cock ups but that’s modelling! 

F080_C866-_BF3_B-48_F2-_B179-78_BCBB74_C

92128_E9_C-87_F9-4_C55-8_AAB-_F25687_CE6

5_CEE114_C-_F995-4_DB8-96_A2-3692_A3_EAA

1_F6_C4_E2_F-9368-43_AC-_B303-_F965_B18_

DC25168_C-2277-423_E-_ADF6-3_FB856_BECD2

EF1_D3_E25-_CECD-4239-_A22_B-00_B5088_F9

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gisbod,

another top notch model of a great looking plane! Kudos by the wheelbarrow to you!

Just one small niggle: the 11 yellow from 9/JG 26 was, if I am not mistaken, an E-1, that has machine guns in the wings and the early type canopy. 

If you can show me a photo of your plane, I would be delighted, because that is the scheme I wanted to do, using Xtradecal offerings... So I have first to find the other canopy type, and I can't!\

Whatever that small detail, your model is just outstanding!!!

JR

Edited by jean

2 hours ago, Fin said:

It looks awesome! What decals did you use?

Hi Fin, 

The Xtradecal set x72118 - BoB 70th anniversary. Very nice decals.

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Gisbod,

another top notch model of a great looking plane! Kudos by the wheelbarrow to you!

Just one small niggle: the 11 yellow from 9/JG 26 was, if I am not mistaken, an E-1, that has machine guns in the wings and the early type canopy. 

If you can show me a photo of your plane, I would be delighted, because that is the scheme I wanted to do, using Xtradecal offerings... So I have first to find the other canopy type, and I can't!\

Whatever that small detail, your model is just outstanding!!!

JR

Yep Jean, you’re absolutely right. I didn’t realise until I’d started the paint job but carried on regardless... I do love the scheme. Although I realise that may upset the purists! The Xtradecal set has yellow 11 as an E3, but obviously the kit is an E4... :huh:

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 1

Ps didnt the old Airfix 1/24 109 boxing depict this aircraft? I seem to remember it and it was what drew me to the scheme... Some childhood subconscious pull....

Guy

• Like 1

Just how do you get that level of detail in 1/72?  It amazes me.  I cannot do it despite years of trying.  Bravo.

Lovely modelling of what I believe was a Bf 109 E-3 (not an E-1 as Jean believes, so the cannon and underwing bulges are okay).

If I were to be picky, the canopy is from an E-4 but these were upgraded in the field on some machines; and the canopy doesn't have frames in the middle of the main opening part.   What you see on pictures are overlaping sheets of 'perspex' that give what appears to be a thin canopy frame line.

I've been guilty of painting in a frame in myself (along with a million others) on numerous Bf 109 E's

FFH

• Like 1

Fantastic finish on a super little kit; the faded splinter is simply awesome. What did you use for the aerial wire (I bottled it when I did mine and left it off!)? Should the main wheel hubs be a semi-gloss black or are earlier 109s different? Either way, top modelling. Can't wait to see what you've done with the Spit!

1 hour ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Just how do you get that level of detail in 1/72?  It amazes me.  I cannot do it despite years of trying.  Bravo.

Lovely modelling of what I believe was a Bf 109 E-3 (not an E-1 as Jean believes, so the cannon and underwing bulges are okay).

If I were to be picky, the canopy is from an E-4 but these were upgraded in the field on some machines; and the canopy doesn't have frames in the middle of the main opening part.   What you see on pictures are overlaping sheets of 'perspex' that give what appears to be a thin canopy frame line.

I've been guilty of painting in a frame in myself (along with a million others) on numerous Bf 109 E's

FFH

Hi FFH,

Re this 109 being an E-3, you could very well be right. All the photos I have from that very plane show it rather mangled with a fuselage broken right behind the cockpit. The only thing I cannot be sure of, is whether the wings have 20mm cannons or machine guns... If you have the proof of it, please let me know: I still want to model that airframe, and I would rather not remove all the bulges and bumps underneath if that is not necessary! Failing that, I will do the yellow 1 of Schoepfel; at least it has the correct canopy for an E-4, and the same decals can be used...

Whatever, E-1 or E-3, that will not stop me sleeping tonight! But what a beautiful paint scheme!

Cheers

JR

2 hours ago, Gisbod said:

didnt the old Airfix 1/24 109 boxing depict this aircraft? I

the Airfix 1/24 th was yellow 10,  

the real plane below

c7a4ba21e56f9614e0e88aca3bd1db36.jpg

266545316bb8379c44cf48e4f5a98e04.jpg

e-3 but old style canopy.    Don't know about yellow 11 though.

very fond memories of  the old 1/24th kit!

very neat work Guy!

• Like 2

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

the Airfix 1/24 th was yellow 10,  

the real plane below

c7a4ba21e56f9614e0e88aca3bd1db36.jpg

266545316bb8379c44cf48e4f5a98e04.jpg

e-3 but old style canopy.    Don't know about yellow 11 though.

very fond memories of  the old 1/24th kit!

very neat work Guy!

Thanks for that Troy, cracking pics! Yep me too on the old Airfix kit...

15 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Fantastic finish on a super little kit; the faded splinter is simply awesome. What did you use for the aerial wire (I bottled it when I did mine and left it off!)? Should the main wheel hubs be a semi-gloss black or are earlier 109s different? Either way, top modelling. Can't wait to see what you've done with the Spit!

Sorry, meant to reply..

You're probably right re the wheels..

The aerial wire is just plain old monofilament (fishing line) but very fine. Just superglue at one end - let dry - then glue the other under tension. 

Guy

Very neat and ambitious build!

Too my eyes, though, the panel joints are way over-emphasized, giving the model an unrealistic, toy like appearance – just compare with the b/w pics posted by Troy!

Kind regards,

Joachim