Bandai 1/60 mkii Gundam

On 23 March 2018 at 2:37 PM, LotusArenco said:

Ooh! I am so tempted to get one of these. You’re not helping in the slightest….

Crack on mate, crack on.:popcorn:

Mart

Honestly get one I promise you won't be disapointed with it. i am so pleased I dipped my toes into this genre and I can see it keeping me away from planes for a long time

Pete

• Like 1

On 24 March 2018 at 10:10 PM, Cimmerian said:

I have one of these PG MkII's , I built it but never painted it as I was so daunted by it lol. Following with interest!

yes there is a lot to paint lol, but I'm treading carefully so hopefully I will make it to the end ok

Pete

On 25 March 2018 at 12:38 PM, rockpopandchips said:

Thats looking very nice, i would build it the rest of the kit without putting the outer amour on so you see all the inner frame.

I'm thinking to leave half of the armour off or just a few panels here and there but I'll make up my mind once I've finished painting the frame and can see how the armour fits

Pete

I've made a bit more progress on this build but I'm having issues getting the pics off my camera and onto Flickr. I don't have a PC anymore but I use a Samsung camera that has android so upload directly from that and then use my iPad to make posts. But a recent update to the Flickr app has rendered it impossible for me to sign in to said Flickr app 😡  Both my phone and iPad take horrendous pictures so I don't want to use them if I can help it. 

I will post what I managed to upload before it went Tango Uniform later but I am working on a solution though and hopefully will be able to update over the weekend ( may have to bite the bullet and buy the cheapest laptop I can ) 

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk

That looks good so far. I'm a huge Gundam fan myself, and this is my youngest son's favorite mobile suit. 

If your interested here is a video about the series this suit is from and goes into detail about the suit your building starting around 2:12.

It does have minor spoilers about the first 1/5 of the series.

Although I don't agree with his analogy of planes he does give a pretty good summarization of the series and real world events that formed the earliest Gundam series if you start from his first video. So far he's covered the orginal series, the 8th MS team, 0080, 0083 and the first 1/3 of Zeta.

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting the video 👍  I had a watch and it's nice to see where the model came from, it also now makes sense to me why Bandai has this version of the MK II and a Titans version.  I will definitely look into at some more of his videos  the Gundam series 

Pete

• Like 1

Okey diiddly dokey, let's see where I'm at with old robot chops.

both of the arms are pretty much finished.  I say pretty much as I have to add 2 little tear drop shaped prices that need to be painted in white ( I nearly missed them off ) 

i sprayed the bracket things at the wrists gold and fitted them

20180325_134354

I also added a little bit of ak neutral grey wash here and there to add some definition ( thought black might be a bit too stark ) 

20180325_134404

With the arms out of the way the next stage in the instructions is the feet. So mucho clipping and sanding of nubs ensued and here's what I've got 

20180325_154017

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

The moulding of the parts is really nice and there is even some detail inside the front foot section 

20180325_154024

Loads of nice detail on the bottom of the foot too 

20180325_154450

Most of it will be hidden once he's got his daisies on but at least the way the parts are separated means no masking 

20180325_154039

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

This is as far as I got with being able to upload my images to Flickr before it updated and decided my camera is no longer state of the art enough for it. I've uploaded some pics to USE.com and will give them a try but I think it compresses them quite a bit and they aren't going to look as sharp. But it's got to be better than the images from my phone ( see below )

looks like vaselene on the lens

2018-03-26_09-25-43

Lets see how we get on with this hosting site. 

These parts were primed with mr surfacer and then jet exhaust and the small circle bits with pale burnt metal

a8869df4a65747a60550.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

Pics don't look too bad on my iPad screen so looks like I can crack on posting, but I'm still going to get a cheapo laptop at the weekend as I like Flickr and still have 99% of a terabyte free space left.

a blob of White tac was used for masking and then sprayed steel and the piston shaft aluminium

ecc7033c6bf3096e48a1.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

Bits snapped together ( still a novelty not having to use any glue on this kit ) and in my hand for scale

54591ce34f387b67b49e.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

Top half of the assembly was painted in the same colours and aluminium for the highlights. There is a spring in there that allows it to move up and down and it kind of works, but is a bit sticky due to the paint so goes down ok but up isn't really cooperating 🙁

But in lighter news the colours match the arms 😃 (please do your best to ignore the curse of the black thumb I'm suffering with at the moment )

e3a063faf618c9ee78e4_1.jpg

clicklarge3.gif
e3a063faf618c9ee78e4_2.jpg
clicklarge3.gif
e3a063faf618c9ee78e4_3.jpg
clicklarge3.gif

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

I'm going to upload the rest of the pics to USE.com and hopefully if I don't fall asleep I'll get them posted tonight. And then they will send you to sleep lol ( honestly they aren't very interesting )

back in a bit

Pete

• Like 1

parts for the feet were painted in the same colours as the previous bits but I had a hiccup and got my bottles mixed up so the heel part got sprayed in jet exhaust I didn't spot it until I painted the aluminium and brought the front and heel parts together, didn't fancy doing it against it will have to stay a bit darker ( I won't tell if you won't)

the gold chains are supplied in that colour and they were the reason for me choosing to use gold for some of the bits and bobs. The bit they go into was sprayed gloss black and the last pic shows that everything is still matching so it's all coolio so far

ae19164ed5e9eca0251a_1.jpg

clicklarge3.gif
ae19164ed5e9eca0251a_2.jpg
clicklarge3.gif
ae19164ed5e9eca0251a_3.jpg
clicklarge3.gif

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

Feet based in gloss black then aluminium to try and get some bling

be6344b148116eb45925_1.jpg

clicklarge3.gif
be6344b148116eb45925_2.jpg
clicklarge3.gif

And the panels on the soles were masked and sprayed with gloss black. Heels were done the same way but as I neglected to take pics as I was doing it  you will have to look further down to see them.

2327e1cd652d760976a8.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

I was was worried I had too much gold on the foot area but once it's in its shoe it kind of balances out so a bullet dodged there methinks

i have no ideawhat's going on here but my text is starting from the centre and I can't backspace it to the start 

Mike I have broken the forum lol 

b8bf0e09aa3a327ca6c4_1.jpg

clicklarge3.gif
b8bf0e09aa3a327ca6c4_2.jpg
clicklarge3.gif

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

Text working nicely again in a new reply ( phew ! )

next up up is the legs and I'm going to hopefully make a start tomorrow and then family are over for Easter so no modelling for me. I should count myself lucky though as I'm supposed to be decorating the front room, but said family hit us with a short notice visit so I have escaped that torture until next week after they've gone home. 

Pete

I noticed whilst looking at my pics that there is a gap on the bottom of the foot where it meets the edge of the shoe, you can see it in the 3rd pic up from here. This is due to a nub I missed and I can see it in the pic where all the parts are nicely laid out ( the nub is on the right hand side of the black area on the sole of the foot on the top right hand side of the pic) I couldn't leave it like that and even though it's stupid o clock in the morning I went down to the cave dismantled the shoe and fixed it.

much better 

05fbc01eaa8ed14d5310.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

crazy i know, but it would have bugged me and I would never get to sleep lol

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Thats one hell of good update and its looking very slick!

Thanks mate i'm really happy with how its coming along hopefully it will carry on as it is and be a nice trouble free build

Pete

I've got a new computer and just want to see if I can post pics. 

well it feels a bit of a faff compared to my ipad but it worked so winning and grinning :P

39311838100_70a535c110_b.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow a PG Mk.II! Never seen one of these built up so will be watching with interest.  The Mk.II is one of my favs as it was the precursor to the TR- Hazel line. :) Is this one going to be piloted by Emma Sheen? Or Kamil? ;)

You know Brundledonk, the Mk.II does take a hell of a beating in Zeta.  It even has a fight against one of its sister suits in one of the first episodes. So you could make it with some of it's armor missing.  Looking forward to seeing more :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• 1 month later...
On 8 April 2018 at 2:57 PM, Dazzio said:

Wow a PG Mk.II! Never seen one of these built up so will be watching with interest.  The Mk.II is one of my favs as it was the precursor to the TR- Hazel line. :) Is this one going to be piloted by Emma Sheen? Or Kamil? ;)

You know Brundledonk, the Mk.II does take a hell of a beating in Zeta.  It even has a fight against one of its sister suits in one of the first episodes. So you could make it with some of it's armor missing.  Looking forward to seeing more :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz,

Not given any thought to the pilot yet but will do a bit of research and decide when I get nearer to that bit. I'm pretty sure I will leave some of the armour off as its seems a shame to hide the frame after the time that will have gone into painting it.

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk

On 8 April 2018 at 2:57 PM, Dazzio said:

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz,

Not given any thought to the pilot yet but will do a bit of research and decide when I get nearer to that bit. I'm pretty sure I will leave some of the armour off as its seems a shame to hide the frame after the time that will have gone into painting it.

Pete